GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 03:31 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you bought some extra motor because all of the door locks are going to go bad in sequence.
Old 03-20-11, 07:32 PM
ksultan78
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got 4 motors... they are all getting replaced, no doubt
Old 03-20-11, 07:50 PM
ksultan78
Rookie

do i have to remove the window for the front actuators? and is the same trick used to remove the actuator... or i gotta remove the door handle to get the actuator out?
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 03-20-11, 08:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

No need to remove windows at all. You'll have to remove the door handle for the front actuator because two of the actuator's rod is latched onto the handle.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 04-06-11, 08:55 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

thanks for the help Mark + GSteg. I got 2 of the 3 bad actuators replaced. Going to tackle the 3rd this weekend. Any advice on getting the solenoid apart cleanly?
Old 05-09-11, 10:25 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll be doing this soon now. Thanks for the write up.
Old 05-14-11, 08:35 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I just finished completing this on my car and man do you need a lot of patience's when you are taking that door handle off. I used the Lexus factory tool set in my car with the 10mm wrench for that difficult spot. Once I was able to do what I needed to do it was cake from there. Funny part is I tested it all, put it all back together and I guess for some reason I forgot to put the plug back in the actuator, even though I had checked it all before I guess I took it out for a moment. Anyways, all works well and I'll let the shop deal with the other rear side if it comes to it. I'll just provide the part.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 05-14-11, 09:52 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a special tool made specifically to remove the door handle. Good thing only 1 rear door was faulty. Not too bad.
Old 05-25-11, 07:53 AM
slosu
Driver School Candidate

I have to say how great these instructions are. I printed them off and did this repair last night on the passenger side rear door and the step by step instructions made it a breeze. My only delay was in getting the actuator past the door handle. I reread the posts and you have to give a pretty good pull on the actual silver metal wire inside the black plastic cable for the door handle. Once I did this, the actuator came right out and I did not have to remove the outside door handle. This forum is such an amazing resource. Thanks so much.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 06-24-11, 11:39 AM
garyst16
Driver School Candidate

Seattle and the rest of those that provided information on this task are AWESOME!!! I was able to remove the assembly thanks to the original post and do it without removing the door handle thanks to the post about pulling the cables!! Although I didn't go the task of taking the assembly apart to replace the motor, I did save the expense of going to the dealer to have this work done. You can purchase the assembly for $86 at http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...130-30110.html

Thanks again for all the great advice!
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 02-16-12, 12:03 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Just gonna bump this.. It deserves as much credit as the current stickied DIY actuator replacement that involves removing the window/mirror/trim. This definitely is not required.

I just replaced my front driver's actuator assembly. I tried without removing the door handle but I found I just couldn't get my fingers in, in such a way that I could pull the rods off the handle - and I have very slender asian fingers.

3x 10mm bolts later, the handle was loose. GO SLOW HERE - I was super cautious in removing and replacing these bolts so as line them up perfect, and not to drop them. You need a steady hand (or rest the socket extension on the openings), and a flashlight or good work light shining in there to see.

With the assembly also completely free (4x torx) to move, I was able to pull the handle out and easily work the rods out.

The part that stumped me was physically removing the actuator, because the window track was in the way. Turns out it is held with a single 10mm bolt on the bottom left of the door, and it only goes up to the window sill. You can bend it from there or even slide it up and down along the rubber and successfully get the entire actuator out from the bottom half of the opening.

Anyway, everything was all hunky dory, took me just over an hour (mostly head scratching about the window track and actuator rods.) While I was testing everything, the rear passenger actuator gave up the ghost Here we go again..

Final note: not sure if it was in the instructions or I just missed them - unplug the battery!!!! I had all my windows rolling up/down and alarm going off when I went to re-attach everything. ooooops...
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 03-05-12, 08:03 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

So I did the rear door and it was much quicker than the front (or maybe I'm getting better at it..)

I did figure out how to get the actuator out without having to remove the door handle for the rears. Jiggling the door handle didn't work for me, so if you have trouble try this:

This tab here is what prevents the actuator from coming out (it hits the inside of the handle):

What I had to do was push down on it with my index finger while it was inside the door, acting as if my finger were the handle. This allowed it to get under the handle itself and out:

Same thing in reverse to re-insert. That's it!
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 01-14-13, 09:40 AM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
So I did the rear door and it was much quicker than the front (or maybe I'm getting better at it..)

I did figure out how to get the actuator out without having to remove the door handle for the rears. Jiggling the door handle didn't work for me, so if you have trouble try this:

This tab here is what prevents the actuator from coming out (it hits the inside of the handle):

What I had to do was push down on it with my index finger while it was inside the door, acting as if my finger were the handle. This allowed it to get under the handle itself and out:

Same thing in reverse to re-insert. That's it!
Love this trick! Worked like charm
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 01-14-13, 10:03 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, maybe i'll do my rear door this weekend.
Old 01-14-13, 10:11 AM
SAJJAD10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(01 GS300) My Passenger Door will not respond from my key. The driver side (main switch) cannot lock or unlock the passenger door lock either.
The only way i can unlock or lock the passenger door lock is to pysically do it myself by hand.

What part do i need to buy?

Quick Reply: Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)