GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The 2GS, a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 10:00 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The 2GS, a future classic?

We love the 2GS. Some of us are here for a good time, not a long time: others are in for the long haul. I plan to keep mine as long as possible. So, ten years from today, will the 2GS be considered a classic?

There's lots of definitions for what is a classic and it's definitely not based on the list price of the car or the performance. The Mini is a classic, so is an old 911. Some even say there will never be a Japanese classic car. What makes a classic, I think, is a question of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

OK so what's the 2GS got going for it as a future classic.

Performance: I need no convincing here, being a GS400 driver. I like how they were bold enough to say it was the "fastest automatic sedan in the world." They set a target and met it.

Engineering: A 4-valve, variable timing, quad-cam V8 seals the deal, backed up with one of the world's first 5-speed autos. There's a lot of good stuff here with sophisticated electronic features that would takes years to appear on other makes.

Build Quality: That's what Lexus built its entire reputation on. But it goes beyond how the car left the factory. How many of us own 10 year old cars that still look new? 2GS owners do.

Styling/Design: While the 1GS was designed my marquee designer, Giorgetto, Guigiaro, I think the in-house designed 2GS is better. It has the tension and even slight quirkiness of the best English cars, like Jags, Bristols and some Aston Martins.

Cult following: You're reading this aren't you? There's enough devotion out there to also support an aftermarket parts industry that provides an array of go-fast, dress-up and keep-it-running parts.

Je ne-sais quoi factor: Here's where the whole is more than the sum of the parts. When I get in my car at the end of the day I just think, "aaaaaahhh, thank God I get to drive this home." Plus there's always little surprises, like the first time I put washer fluid in the car and saw that the washer fluid cap was engineered with the same precision as the engine, complete with a filtre basket under the lid. While it's not the fastest sedan anymore, there's something larger than life about how this car gets down the road, whether in heavy traffic, or on the open highway.

Now, what is going against it being a future classic?

Popularity: The 2GS sold well over the years and was a genuine hit initially, but it's still quite rare. A number of people have seen mine and said, "Oh, I didn't know this was a Lexus." The popular image of Lexus is dominated by the LS and RX.

Image: Even among Lexus fans it's got an image deficit. IS300 drivers at my local import hangout don't give the GS the time of day. Those who drive German think it's a Camry.

No "special" editions: Until now there was no real performance special editions made on a continuous basis (L-sport excepted). Lexus stayed away from racing and so didn't build up a following for "M" or "AMG" editions of its cars.

And finally, it's not German: So what?

I know I am driving a future classic, your thoughts?

Thanks for reading this.
Attached Thumbnails The 2GS, a future classic?-lexus-in-grass4.jpg  
Old 09-19-10, 10:36 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Post, i think the 2GS is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, they can say what they want but this body style is truly a work of art. When this thing came out the design was way ahead of its time, i mean compare the bmw and mercedes from 1998 (interior and exterior wise) to the 2GS. I had driven my buddy's BMW 740 and another friends s420 first before i got behind the wheel of my buddy's 2000 GS300 and it was an amazing experience. Yes the Beemer and Benz were sweet but there is just something about the 2GS that made it feel so sweet, and this was just the 300, i have never driven a 400 or 430 and i would truly love to.
Old 09-19-10, 10:44 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Fantastic post my friend! I absolutally love the 2GS. Hands down one of the best car's i have ever driven even to this day. My car is 11 years old and people ask me how i can afford buying a new car at my age. Two for Lexus on building the best car so far!
Old 09-20-10, 01:09 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I completely agree with your post and feel so supporting as I remember when the GS400 was a Concept car and how it was at that time had the most Technologically advance powertrain in the world. I had a '98 Corvette and a '98 Maxima at the time. Everyone thought i was crazy for selling my Vette and trading my Maxima for a 1999 GS400.. What I wanted was a Corvette's power in a comfortable and reliable Luxury Sedan, the best of both worlds..and I never looked back...!

Regardless, if the GS400/430/300 will make it into some Hall of Fame of Classic cars, I personally will stand by my GS for as long as I live (true commitment of how i much i love the 2GS)

As of today, my 1999 GS400 bought in January of 1999 is my all time favorite car, performance wise it has exceeded my expectations and i've had alot of fun modding it for the last 11 years - she's my baby.. Recently i picked up a rare '05 GS430, 1 of 422 GS430's made in the last year of the 2GS!!

Those that know me, know i go thru cars like under wear, i don't usually keep any one car more than 10 months, 2 years being maximum.. All my friends are amazed I've had my '99 GS400 for almost 12 years while going thru 6 other cars in the last 7 yrs while steadily keeping my 400 and i'm not tired of looking at her as she has the most beautiful body style in a 4 door sedan bar-none..

Now that i have 2 of them now, A 430 and my 400. I'm on cloud nine..!! I don't really have to worry about buying another car for a long time unless i want a toy.. but truly my pair of 2GS's are my heart and soul of cars..
Old 09-20-10, 06:15 AM
papachulo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supra will be the first classic japanese car, if it hasn't already reached that status. Mint condition supras sell for far more than the original sticker price.
Old 09-20-10, 06:57 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love each one of my cars for different reasons. I have made up my mind that we will never sell any of them. To me, the GS will be a classic, if not already.
Old 09-20-10, 07:39 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It'd be nice to see if the 2GS becomes a classic. For some reason I'm kinda doubting it but please prove me wrong (and I mean that in the most sincere way possible). Either way I looooooove the shape of the 2GS and am so glad I get to drive one (even if it's only once a week or so).

To me one of the real first Japanese classics (to me) is the Datsun 240Z. If anything in Toyota's case most likely would be the MkIV Supra, although I have seen a slight increase in prices on MkIII Soarers too, fingers crossed the 2GS follows suit.
Old 09-20-10, 07:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

The 2GS has hands down been one of the best if not the best car I have ever owned, but I don't think it will become a classic. Now, the first generation SC has more potential to be a classic if you ask me...
Old 09-20-10, 09:31 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
The 2GS has hands down been one of the best if not the best car I have ever owned, but I don't think it will become a classic. Now, the first generation SC has more potential to be a classic if you ask me...
How can it not become a classic when there is people out there that feel about them like we do
Old 09-20-10, 09:45 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm keeping at least one GS in my arsenal for all time. Granted, it will probably be a 800-1000hp monster...but still one GS in the garage at all times
Old 09-20-10, 11:15 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty new to the GS owner's club, but have admired these cars for a long, long time. I remember when the GS430 first hit, and I thought "wow, that car is beautiful!" I agree with your sentiments, and I do feel that at some point in the future, the 2GS will probably become a classic.

Not sure the 2GS will sell for more than the original window sticker a la the Supras, but I know it is a car I will never tire of driving. I won't be surprised at all if I acquire another 2GS along the way.
Old 09-20-10, 11:36 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

its funny this is being talked about, my wife and i were on this subject a couple nights ago. the GS to me is a classic right now. that is the only vehicle that gets the most attention in the midst of all other luxury "sedans" at any given time. think about it, a pristine 3,4 or 4.3 sitting at a area starbucks, steak house or beach front. the car is TIMELESS. a vast number of people cant spot the difference in a 98 to a 05! you know the year and make of a C and E class or infiniti Q's and M's.

and lets not include a modded version of the car! its game over at that point.

here's food for thought, ever noticed how when you get out your car in a public area people stare in awe more than any luxury car there?

listen to elder people when they tell you how nice your car is. they will validate if your car will be a classic.

ill NEVER sell my GS! one day when im a old fart and the boys' are hanging out in my garage they'll be guaranteed to say "oooohhh wee that a nice GS! i remember when i had one, "wish i'd never sold it!!!"
Old 09-20-10, 05:41 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the body lines are classic but the price depreciation is letting the wrong crowd of people get their hands on them. I see more ghetto'd out gs300's or ones with cheap racing gear than classy nice ones or even clean stock ones. Maybe 20 years from now when a lot have been wrecked or the price appreciates they may increase in classic car status but I don't see it happening.
Old 09-20-10, 06:11 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you wear your underwear for 10 months? jk lol

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I completely agree with your post and feel so supporting as I remember when the GS400 was a Concept car and how it was at that time had the most Technologically advance powertrain in the world. I had a '98 Corvette and a '98 Maxima at the time. Everyone thought i was crazy for selling my Vette and trading my Maxima for a 1999 GS400.. What I wanted was a Corvette's power in a comfortable and reliable Luxury Sedan, the best of both worlds..and I never looked back...!

Regardless, if the GS400/430/300 will make it into some Hall of Fame of Classic cars, I personally will stand by my GS for as long as I live (true commitment of how i much i love the 2GS)

As of today, my 1999 GS400 bought in January of 1999 is my all time favorite car, performance wise it has exceeded my expectations and i've had alot of fun modding it for the last 11 years - she's my baby.. Recently i picked up a rare '05 GS430, 1 of 422 GS430's made in the last year of the 2GS!!

Those that know me, know i go thru cars like under wear, i don't usually keep any one car more than 10 months, 2 years being maximum.. All my friends are amazed I've had my '99 GS400 for almost 12 years while going thru 6 other cars in the last 7 yrs while steadily keeping my 400 and i'm not tired of looking at her as she has the most beautiful body style in a 4 door sedan bar-none..

Now that i have 2 of them now, A 430 and my 400. I'm on cloud nine..!! I don't really have to worry about buying another car for a long time unless i want a toy.. but truly my pair of 2GS's are my heart and soul of cars..
Old 09-20-10, 06:17 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I love this post. You just made me love my car even more and I didnt think it was possible. Then again I love my car more whenever I add more mods, so I guess theres alot more lovin to give my car

Quick Reply: The 2GS, a future classic?