GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The 2GS, a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 04:41 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I AGREE. and I'll be one of those you'll see on the road.. I've owned my GS400 for 15 years this month! Car is still in Perfect Condition. (I'll be Happy to Carry on the Torch) for another 15 years easy since my ODO is only at 49K miles..
There's no way you could ever sell one of those gems, Don.
Old 01-08-14, 06:50 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

I AGREE. and I'll be one of those you'll see on the road.. I've owned my GS400 for 15 years this month! Car is still in Perfect Condition. (I'll be Happy to Carry on the Torch) for another 15 years easy since my ODO is only at 49K miles..
Ssshheeesssshhhhhh!!!!! I admire anymore who can say that about their car.... 15 years wow... that's it.. I need to see some pics of this badboy.. that's it put em up mane!!!!
Old 01-08-14, 06:52 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
It will be a classic PERIOD. Once 15 more years pass and all these "new" technology cars are known for breaking down and giving nothing but sensor problems and what not, ppl will open they're eyes.... especially when they see those big body GS monsters still strolling past in luxury and reliability.... the truth is the truth no matter where you are... it's a only a matter of time bro.
You make a great point! Makes me feel good that I have a GS300 with 89k on the clock and I drive 10k per year. Should easily give me a decade or more of trouble free service :-)
Old 01-08-14, 07:12 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by egs21
You make a great point! Makes me feel good that I have a GS300 with 89k on the clock and I drive 10k per year. Should easily give me a decade or more of trouble free service :-)
You have a great and reliable car. Enjoy it, take care of it, and watch it grow old in one piece lol. I thank God every day I leave work that I'm driving that machine. It's shaped my life for the better. Keeps me entertained and contempt with my everyday life.
Old 01-08-14, 07:20 PM
egs21
Pole Position

You have a great and reliable car. Enjoy it, take care of it, and watch it grow old in one piece lol. I thank God every day I leave work that I'm driving that machine. It's shaped my life for the better. Keeps me entertained and contempt with my everyday life.
Thanks! My only gripe is I wish I could have found a 430, but in all reality, the 300 is more than fine for 98% of driving.

What GS do you have? Year? Miles? How long have you owned it?
Old 01-08-14, 07:27 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by egs21
Thanks! My only gripe is I wish I could have found a 430, but in all reality, the 300 is more than fine for 98% of driving.

What GS do you have? Year? Miles? How long have you owned it?
I have a GS430. 2001, currently is working towards 98k miles. I bought it in Feb 6th 2012.. Lol never forgot that day.. With about roughly 76,500 miles. So in less then 2 years I've put more then 20k miles and NO PROBLEMS. Only self inflicted things (had a minor accident last year) and maintenance. Other then that, the car has been good and reliable to me bro. Couldn't be happier to drive it everyday!
Old 01-08-14, 07:51 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
I'm sure most people back in the 80's thought of the Cressida in the same way. Even though it's not a world-wide automotive classic, it does have a pretty good cult like following. I plan on being a GS owner forever so cult status is fine with me!

P.S. There was an '86 Cressida at the auction last month. The engine ran silky smooth and the interior was immaculate. That thing was built nicely.

Major props to you for playing the Cressida card.

When I was in college, one of the grad assistants bought an '86 Cressida with a manual transmission. At the time, ironically, I was driving an '86 Maxima with a manual transmission. I was a huge fan of the lines of both cars, but the Cressida is one car you just don't see many of these days. I feel that the Cressida was one of the most underrated cars Toyota ever built.

3.5 years after buying my GS430, I can safely say I'm keeping it for a long time. I'm at 157k, and the car literally looks brand new.
Old 01-08-14, 07:56 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
Major props to you for playing the Cressida card.

When I was in college, one of the grad assistants bought an '86 Cressida with a manual transmission. At the time, ironically, I was driving an '86 Maxima with a manual transmission. I was a huge fan of the lines of both cars, but the Cressida is one car you just don't see many of these days. I feel that the Cressida was one of the most underrated cars Toyota ever built.

3.5 years after buying my GS430, I can safely say I'm keeping it for a long time. I'm at 157k, and the car literally looks brand new.
Love hearing from different GS430 owners how much mileage they got with such good compliments. It really makes me look forward to spending more years with this car. Might need another one
Old 01-09-14, 12:01 AM
nick707
Driver School Candidate

I've only had mine for less than a year but already I know she's a keeper !! The 2gs should definitely be classed as a classic in due time. Mileage is great and the outside look just kicks ***. I'm the second owner and the 1st treated the car like how it should've been treated throughout the years and he was really upset when he had to sell it but I promised I'd take excellent care of it. The car is a 98' and has less than 120xxx miles, the car is solid and will last many more years
Old 01-09-14, 05:12 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nick707
I've only had mine for less than a year but already I know she's a keeper !! The 2gs should definitely be classed as a classic in due time. Mileage is great and the outside look just kicks ***. I'm the second owner and the 1st treated the car like how it should've been treated throughout the years and he was really upset when he had to sell it but I promised I'd take excellent care of it. The car is a 98' and has less than 120xxx miles, the car is solid and will last many more years
Besides the obvious quality and reliability, the design is the key to this car. I've always loved the look of the 2nd generation. Something about the 4 headlights and overall shape of the car has always been appealing to me. Seems like a design that will stay in style for a long time.
Old 01-09-14, 05:13 AM
egs21
Pole Position

I have a GS430. 2001, currently is working towards 98k miles. I bought it in Feb 6th 2012.. Lol never forgot that day.. With about roughly 76,500 miles. So in less then 2 years I've put more then 20k miles and NO PROBLEMS. Only self inflicted things (had a minor accident last year) and maintenance. Other then that, the car has been good and reliable to me bro. Couldn't be happier to drive it everyday!
Very cool. I was really hoping to get a GS430, but they are pretty rare in my area. When I came across a mint GS300 with low miles that was a one owner with all service records, I had to jump at it. However I am keeping my eyes open if that perfect GS430 ever comes along. Enjoy your ride :-)
Old 01-09-14, 05:57 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I joined CL back in 02 due to attending the SELOC meets back then. The 2nd gen GS was still a production car at the time so price kept me out from purchasing one. My uncle had a 95 Touring 1st gen 300 and a 98 GS3 when they came out. I remember driving to Atlantic City in the 98 and thinking this is one of the best cars I've ever been in.

When I got my 99 GS300 in 2012 it was like being shot back to 1998 in that first ride in my uncle's GS. When treated well these cars don't age. And the minor updates that become outdated due to the times can be changed. I consider my GS as a Plus-sized model. She will never be sleek and agile without disrupting who she is, but she looks killer, make you feel at home, and can cook. LOL If you ever need an itch with a few tweaks she can cure the scratch.
Old 01-09-14, 07:01 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will be a classic PERIOD. Once 15 more years pass and all these "new" technology cars are known for breaking down and giving nothing but sensor problems and what not, ppl will open they're eyes.... especially when they see those big body GS monsters still strolling past in luxury and reliability.... the truth is the truth no matter where you are... it's a only a matter of time bro.
Of course, WE Lexus drivers who drive the 2GS will obviously feel that the car will always be a classic. But the truth is, I have driven better cars worthy of that kind of praise. When I say the automotive world, I mean the entire spectrum. That is a broad range with many cars. The GS can be bought just about anywhere for various prices. I'm even seeing guys who have no business driving period, owning these cars. It's too available and still can be seen anywhere you go. To me, classic cars are rarities. The ones that you hardly ever see and when you do, you just stare at it as if you were looking at Jesus himself. I just don't see the 2GS garnering such praise. To those outside the Lexus realm, this model was just another well built Toyota. It's been 15 years or so now and no one dubbing the term "classic" to this car but us. I like Lexus and I enjoy the 2GS, but to me, others cars need to get tagged with the "classic" name.
Old 01-09-14, 07:06 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Of course, WE Lexus drivers who drive the 2GS will obviously feel that the car will always be a classic. But the truth is, I have driven better cars worthy of that kind of praise. When I say the automotive world, I mean the entire spectrum. That is a broad range with many cars. The GS can be bought just about anywhere for various prices. I'm even seeing guys who have no business driving period, owning these cars. It's too available and still can be seen anywhere you go. To me, classic cars are rarities. The ones that you hardly ever see and when you do, you just stare at it as if you were looking at Jesus himself. I just don't see the 2GS garnering such praise. To those outside the Lexus realm, this model was just another well built Toyota. It's been 15 years or so now and no one but us is talking dubbing the term "classic" to this car but us. I like Lexus and I enjoy the 2GS, but to me, others cars need to get tagged with the "classic" name.
Best post in this thread. This sums it up right here. I see 2GS everyday; some with duck tape holding their headlights in place. An example of a "new age" classic is a well maintained Supra. They are rare, rarely see them, and they command top dollar!
Old 01-09-14, 08:25 AM
egs21
Pole Position

Agreed with above poster. The Supra would be more of a classic given the limited numbers around. Obviously the GS will be considered a "classic" to people on this forum who own and love the car.

Quick Reply: The 2GS, a future classic?