GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought car from dealer on 3/22/2010 - still no title/registration: What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 03:31 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just calll the policeeeee
Old 09-01-10, 04:27 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

a grand marquis haha, how can he justify even mentioning something like that its like goin at the altar to marry the love of your life and another totally different woman/man comes there its like no i dont want a freakin grand marquis those are disgusting. man i feel bad for ya buddy i really do, im sorry you gotta go thru this bull****, but you will get the GS you like and deserve and all will be well. stay positive and focused
Old 09-01-10, 04:39 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you need to need and shame this dealer bad. If you want a quick resolution, get all your money back (what you paid) and a free loaner for 2weeks. Use the loaner to hunt for a new car.

I wouldn't hand back keys until you have a certified check in your hands

This sounds like a huge time waste for you. The more you deal with these guys, the worse it gets.

Last edited by werewolf; 09-01-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 06:08 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They screwed up but they dont owe you more than the money you paid into it.

You can buy another car off the lot and tell them what you want, and if the value is different, than you're situation comes into play where you can then force some goodwill out of them buy getting them to cut you an insane deal. Ask Lexus Corporate if they can kick in some of their dealer dollars or something to help the situation out. Tell them the dealership is being slow to act, not offering comparable vehicles and that you feel like this is not going to get resolved unless they have some other incentive. Who cares where it comes from that at this point, just see if you can get them to kick in 2000 or so to get it so you can buy the 02 and then move on.

A Mercury, uh, no!

If you take the loaner, they could get weird later on when it takes forever to find you a car and then try to hand some of your money back and then take the loaner back.

I would take all of the money back that they owe you, and walk away if you cannot cut an immediate deal. I agree with others, dont let this linger, you'll lose in the end, this dealership doesnt have it together and doesnt have the right incentive to make this right.
Old 09-01-10, 06:15 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

I agree with Mole's thoughts on the loaner. I believe that if you take the loaner it will give them an excuse to put you on the back burner...AGAIN The pressure is on right now...don't let up

A Mercury??? Wow, just when I think I've heard it all
Old 09-01-10, 07:08 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k
Well, Monday I went in to speak to the sales manager to see what he had to offer for a swap but he offered me a Mercury Grand Marquis, he said that is the closest he had and the next thing would be an 02 GS300 but he wants $12k for it unless I would be willing to pay the difference. LOL! Needless to say I told him I would not downgrade, I will take that GS300 and we would be even. He said that would not be up to him. We huggled and he said he would talk to the general manager tuesday monring and get back with me.
Tuesday went by no phone call and still by 3pm today there was no phone call. I called his direct number and got a voicemail, called the reception and asked for him she told me he is on another line but she can give me his voicemail. I was already getting upset so I said fine; left him a voicemail, called the manager's line, left a voicemail, called Lexus corporate and reported it. Within 30 minutes later he calls me and apologizes saying he was not able to call me back yesterday coz it was the end of the month but he wants to get in to a loaner agreement with me until they resolve the title issue. He says I might be getting an 09 loaner car.
Should I take this or actually insist on squeezing them to a refund. Last time I spoke to him about a refund he was gonna refund ALL my money including taxes and license, plus the $150 I paid for a tint. My problem with that route is that I don't know if that is fair or it would be more fair to get a refund of the value of the car not just what I paid for it, because I would be without a car for a while trying to get a deal.

If I bought a car from you with a value of $100, but paid $70, I don't think you are making me whole by refunding me $70 for your mistake after you let me drive in a car that neither of us owns for a whole 5 months period, and now leaving me without a car and telling me to go find another dealer or seller willing to sell me a car worth $100 for $70. But I don't know if they would get my point and oblige.
That would be like buying a TV on sale at Best Buy and taking it back once the sale expires and expecting them to refund the regular price rather than what you actually paid. I doubt your argument would hold up in court.
Old 09-01-10, 08:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wise2k
We huggled and he said he would talk to the general manager tuesday monring and get back with me...
Okay, first off, what the hell is "huggled"? Is that a cross between hugged and haggled? You haggle a price, you hug your girlfriend.

B, why are you doing this over the phone? You got results when you walked in, yet you let them pawn you off on the phone game. STOP USING THE PHONE.

Go there in person, sit there with a dejected look on your face, and get their attention. If customers come in and see the same person sitting in the showroom in the same place hours later, they're going to think something is up. Pack a lunch if you have to (I'm serious), but don't you move your *** from that spot until they have made it right. They don't owe you more than what you paid, but they definitely owe you a righteous deal.

You said you called corporate, what did they have to say? It's time to really put the pressure on. They can locate a car in your price range and purchase it from another dealer if they have to, but it's time for them to step up - but you have to be willing to make them do it.

Big Mack
Old 09-01-10, 09:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnut
That would be like buying a TV on sale at Best Buy and taking it back once the sale expires and expecting them to refund the regular price rather than what you actually paid. I doubt your argument would hold up in court.
^This. If you want to get MORE out of them than what you paid, your only hope is going to be that 2002 GS. I don't see that being impossible, but getting anymore than what you paid as far as a refund back to you, that just isn't happening as there are too many hurdles to jump through even if you had a sliver of a case.

The '02 GS definitely presents an interesting proposition. I had a similar situation happen with a 2003 Navigator I wanted to trade for. I honestly can not remember the exact details of what happened, but somehow I went from looking at a Navigator that was stickered at something like 16,990 at the time, becoming extremely irate about the first salesman's treatment of me and my ability to buy (Lincoln dealers are worthless and stuck in the 1970s car mentality), and in turn walking out with a black on black Navigator that had something on the order of 35000 less miles and was stickered at 20990 for like... 500.00 difference out of my pocket.

The manager basically said "WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE, DO YOU LIKE THIS ONE?"... and I was like "uhh yea I love that one but I can't afford that". So his response was basically "DONT WORRY ABOUT THE PRICE JUST TAKE IT AND BE GONE" lol.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-02-10 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-02-10, 02:47 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I think your gonna end up with the 02 GS IMO just keep at it
Old 09-02-10, 04:14 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are pictures of the car in dispute ("my" car)...I am going in to the dealer today to see what they can say in person. I have recently tinted the car 20%, replaced rear brake pads, and got a new key for it.
Name:  100_0283.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  100_0281.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  48.5 KB
Name:  100_0282.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  60.9 KB
Name:  100_0284.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  51.9 KB
Name:  LK4994A12.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  100_0280.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  50.3 KB
Old 09-02-10, 09:05 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Good luck, man. Give them a good fight.
Old 09-03-10, 12:04 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Aaaannnddd... what happened?
Old 09-20-10, 12:46 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

So what came out of all this?
Old 09-20-10, 01:35 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last week Friday I got a call from the general manager that they have it resolved and they have my tags at the front desk. Went in and got new tags altogether with the registration, not just the validation sticker. Registration is valid til September next year even though I bought the car in March. Also, came with a letter of apology for the inconvenience and thanks for the patience blah blah blah but they credited my account with the dealer $200, I guess that's about 4 free oil changes or something. Plus they gave me two (2) $100 gift cards to Bonefish restaurant (bonefishgrill.com).
I guess I can't complain although I feel like I missed out on a 'free upgrade' opportunity. Had they not got it together though as promised by the end of last week I am sure there would have been a different outcome. I am still waiting for the title from the DMV to come in the mail.
Thanks to all for the input!
Old 09-20-10, 04:10 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, what a ride! Glad you got it resolved... and got a little some some out of it

Quick Reply: Bought car from dealer on 3/22/2010 - still no title/registration: What do I do?