GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought car from dealer on 3/22/2010 - still no title/registration: What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 06:50 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd threaten -- in person -- the General Manager with a call to Lexus corporate and the DMV if the situation isn't resolved by Friday.

Also, you didn't literally buy a car in cash, did you? You wrote a check, right? Maybe not the case with you, but it seems most people that transfer large amounts of money in cash are either hiding something or are trying to show off.
Old 08-30-10, 07:59 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Also, you didn't literally buy a car in cash, did you? You wrote a check, right? Maybe not the case with you, but it seems most people that transfer large amounts of money in cash are either hiding something or are trying to show off.
wow, very good point... However, if he did, hope he got a receipt

I'm wondering how they could even put a car out for sale without being a legal owner
Old 08-30-10, 08:34 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Contact Lexus Corp for sure and file a formal complaint. I def wouldn't have been calm for this long. GL
X1000000. I kills me that some dealers (not all) will do anything and everything to sell you a car, but the second you drive it off their lot you're a ghost to them. .

If your not getting any action out of them, which it seems your not.... I would take names and be on the phone with Lexus Corp ASAP. And I would also get the direct line of whomever you speak with there. That way you can check back daily until its resolved.
Old 08-30-10, 09:00 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at the Dealer on Saturday, March 20 and gave them $1,000 in cash to sign the deal (refundable) and have them reserve the car for me coz I wanted it but I wanted them to verify if the timing belt had been already replaced before I take ownership. Went back on Monday, March 22 and wrote them a check for the balance and I got the keys.

NEW DEVELOPMENTs: Dealer just called me and said the car was in wife's name and wife is deceased so they said they would like to buy the car back from me. I wasn't pleased, and then he said they would try and get me a car that fits. I told him I will call them on my lunch break. What do I do..? I huggled to get that deal and I dont think i can get a comparable deal. At the same time it is really not my car, so they can legally take it from me and just cut me a refund check. I will be stuck without a car and who knows what car I can even get after that??
Help me folks, what should I do?
Old 08-30-10, 09:20 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would speak to a lawyer as I am not one but I have watched People's Court.
I would think you could buy a different car and sue them in small claims for any difference you had to pay in order to make you whole in the situation
Ask them what they have on their lot and offer to not sue for an even swap.
Old 08-30-10, 09:21 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k
I was at the Dealer on Saturday, March 20 and gave them $1,000 in cash to sign the deal (refundable) and have them reserve the car for me coz I wanted it but I wanted them to verify if the timing belt had been already replaced before I take ownership. Went back on Monday, March 22 and wrote them a check for the balance and I got the keys.

NEW DEVELOPMENTs: Dealer just called me and said the car was in wife's name and wife is deceased so they said they would like to buy the car back from me. I wasn't pleased, and then he said they would try and get me a car that fits. I told him I will call them on my lunch break. What do I do..? I huggled to get that deal and I dont think i can get a comparable deal. At the same time it is really not my car, so they can legally take it from me and just cut me a refund check. I will be stuck without a car and who knows what car I can even get after that??
Help me folks, what should I do?
If they are giving you a full refund, take it and consider yourself lucky--sort of. Are you getting the tax and license fees back?
Old 08-30-10, 10:49 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you don't get the tax and license fees back (well taxes at least, like you would in a REFUND, not a BUYBACK), you're getting the short end of the stick
Old 08-30-10, 11:36 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least you should get every cent back you put into the car including taxes and license fees. You might try to leverage your inconvenience against them and see if they will give you a sweetheart of a deal on something that's a little better/nicer but of course we all know they're not obligated to do that. It would be a step of good faith for your trouble.
Old 08-30-10, 02:57 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with the above, you should get every cent back. Tax/Title/Tags etc.. Don't take any less. No matter what.

On one hand I would say if they will give you a substantial upgrade for your trouble AND most importantly you PATIENCE and lack of causing scenes in front of customers like many of us might have resorted to, then get bit nicer car and go for it.

On the other hand I also would feel like getting 100% back and walking out the door and let them loose the sale altogether to learn a lesson. And go somewhere else. Since you had the money in hand you could really get so much more car privately than at a dealer. Though I assume you wanted the comfort of some sort of guarantee.

5 month is ridiculous, random used car dumps I would believe but not a Lexus dealership!

They are lucky you have been so nice, don't hesitate to make sure they realize this and get a good deal off them.

They are getting a car back with some more mileage, but they also had your money earning interest in their business bank accounts also, so they aren't loosing anything over this money wise. They will get the title straight after a while and resell the car again.

Clean it up and detail it real nice when you turn it in if you plan to get something else from them to show them you are trying to work with them..

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-30-10, 03:49 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I paid my car in cash which was over 10k and I didn't do it to show off or hide anything. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment with such a ignorant statement. Had you asked some questions to gain insight, perhaps you would've found your answer in this case as to why the OP had done so.

I digress, I hope all goes well for the OP as it isn't fun having to deal with something you thought would go smoothly. I would recommend taking your money and walking away if they is an option.
Old 08-31-10, 05:10 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
I paid my car in cash which was over 10k and I didn't do it to show off or hide anything. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment with such a ignorant statement. Had you asked some questions to gain insight, perhaps you would've found your answer in this case as to why the OP had done so.
Maybe you're right. After all, you can always tell a rich person's nearby when you see a limo being followed by an armored car! Even the OP didn't really buy it with actual bills.

So, OP, what came of it? Did they offer you a great deal on another car? I would've threatened to report to Lexus Corp and/or not return if they didn't, but just curious. Really, though, if that's how they deal, your worst-case scenario of giving the car back really isn't all bad IMO.
Old 08-31-10, 09:24 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

I would've threatened to report to Lexus Corp and/or not return if they didn't, but just curious. Really, though, if that's how they deal, your worst-case scenario of giving the car back really isn't all bad IMO.
In light of the additional information about the wife being deceased (and why isn't the car automatically in her husband's name to where he can sell it?), you should report this to the police and whomever has responsibility over the DMV in addition to Lexus corporate office. This sounds extremely fishy/shady, and someone needs to be investigating this problem from the inside out. No dealership worth anything should be selling a car it does not legally own. If they give you every red cent back, count your blessing and run the eff away from there quick, fast, and in a hurry before they put you in a trunk and try to sell you, too.

Big Mack
Old 08-31-10, 04:01 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

call teh Wave 3 trouble shooter y0
Old 08-31-10, 09:18 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

You have 2 options...

ask the dealer to clear the car and get the title. Someone inherited the property of the previous owner, that person either will sign it over or say to the dealer they want "their car back". If they want it back, your SOL... it may take the dealer a year in court to prove the car belongs to them and in the meantime, it could be reported stolen. The previous owner is deceased, you dont need to pulled over and taken to jail over a family member's grief and emotional state of losing a loved one. This is probably why the dealer is forcing you to option 2.

bring it back to the dealer with reciepts for everything you put in it, including oil changes, whatever. Know exactly what you want. Be cool with them, they screwed up royally and they know it, but they are human, treat em that way. If you go in, let them know how disappointed you are and how this has inconvenienced you but do it in a respectful manner, they are more apt to cut you a gracious deal on another ride. Go in and be an a$$ and you'll be creating no goodwill for them to treat you right, they may refund what they have too and send you packing, on foot. They want your business, make em earn it and get a deal on something amazing.
Old 09-01-10, 12:52 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you got a legal case they shouldnt have sold it to you.
you should get every dollar you put into the car
if you want you can try and see what type of deal they give you tell them you dont have time to play games this time you want a car at there price what they paid for at trade in. if its used or there invoice from the auction if they bought it from there

Quick Reply: Bought car from dealer on 3/22/2010 - still no title/registration: What do I do?