GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Warranty w/SRT & ECU Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 09:04 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Warranty w/SRT & ECU Mod Question

I posted this on a reply in a thread, but I figure I start a new thread in case it got lost or overlook since I didn't get many response.

------------------------------
Just out of curiousity, if you install the SRT Intake and ECU, does that void your warranty if there are any problems? Will Lexus still honor it and will it screw up their diagnostic checks when you take your car in for the 30, 60, mile maintenance checks?

I'm thinking of getting the SRT intake, but I really don't want to void my warranty, especially once you do a wire tap with the ECU. And how do dealerships view these types of mods when working on your car? Will they use that as an excuse if your car doesn't run correctly and they can't figure out the problem?
Old 07-12-02, 07:52 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Most dealer don't like you cutting in the ECU even the aftermarket is used on many other lexus for years w/o problem.

Thus, if it's not manufacture by Toyota or Lexus, the dealer WILL try to bull***** something about warranty if they have to check your ECU for some error code, providing that you are under manufacture warranty.

Check your local dealership, there are a few dealers around town that are more open minded. Or just don't tell the dealer, remove the modification if you have to get check that deal with the ECU, check engine light... how regular does that happen on the lexus. I have not have check engine light in 3 years. Don't worry about other repair works, they don't really look at other things on your car to see if you are violating anything else. I did not have any problem w my local dealers, they always run out to check out my modz or new modz.

Just my .02 cents, some ppl tell you that it will or will not void your warranty, but you Will have to come through some legal process (ie sue the dealer) to get your warranty back, that is just pain.
To save you the trouble, check around.

anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-12-02 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-12-02, 08:18 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Hello.

To make a very long story short, I would recommend that if you are truly concerned about any warranty issues, maybe you should not consider modifying your Lexus.

If you are iching for some additional performance then consider the following:

1. To SRT's knowledge, no customers (not even 1) who possess the SRT HIFIS have had their warranties voided in any manner.

2. SRT HIFIS, just as all of SRT's products, have undergone a rigorous R&D process. In addition, SRT utilizes the identical equipment, during R&D, that Lexus service technicians use in order to understand the troubleshooting process used @ dealerships.

3. There are several Lexus dealerships that are SRT Dealers.

4. Confirm the above & actual experiences with the multitude of "long time" CL members who are SRT customers.

5. In the end, you the consumer hold the key as to what route you will take & I am here to just get you the information that you need in order to make that decision.
Old 07-13-02, 01:58 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

S R T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!