GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

clunking noise when braking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 07:20 PM
magius231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise when braking?

hi guys, i have a problem with my 99 GS400...I just replaced the rear brake pads and rotors, and now when I hit the brakes more than moderately hard, they make a clunking noise, as if the brakes were grabbing and releasing real hard. I know I left the little wire clip out (didn't have one with the pads I got) and the front pads are warped causing a pulsating effect...can anyone think of anything that would cause this clunking noise? it happens easier when going around turns it seems as well, and it definitely only started when the brakes were done. One thing that concerns me is I jacked the car up initially with the rear brace thats attached to the third member, so I'm worried I caused some damage there, but this really seems like a brake issue not a rear end issue (only happens when brakes are applied) has anyone seen this before?

thanks in advance!

Gary
Old 08-18-10, 08:41 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FRONT BALLJOINTS. it could just have been its time, or the brake install put some stress on it.
Old 08-19-10, 09:17 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you make sure the caliper slide pins were well lubed?
Use high temp brake grease.
Old 08-19-10, 11:05 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by magius231
hi guys, i have a problem with my 99 GS400...I just replaced the rear brake pads and rotors, and now when I hit the brakes more than moderately hard, they make a clunking noise, as if the brakes were grabbing and releasing real hard. I know I left the little wire clip out (didn't have one with the pads I got) and the front pads are warped causing a pulsating effect...can anyone think of anything that would cause this clunking noise? it happens easier when going around turns it seems as well, and it definitely only started when the brakes were done. One thing that concerns me is I jacked the car up initially with the rear brace thats attached to the third member, so I'm worried I caused some damage there, but this really seems like a brake issue not a rear end issue (only happens when brakes are applied) has anyone seen this before?

thanks in advance!

Gary

That little wire clip (front brakes) is absolutely needed! It helps push the pads away from the rotor when the break is NO pushhed! If this spring/clip is not present then the pads will have play between the rotor and the caliper when brakes aren't applied. Then when you do apply them the pistons from the caliper hit the pad and make a sound because there is a slight space there due to the sping/clip not holding the pads back against the caliper pistons. Sorry if this sounds confusing...you need those clips! BTW, no pads come with those clips...you must re-use the stock items. GL!
Old 08-22-10, 07:37 AM
magius231
Driver School Candidate

wish me luck guys, im gonna put the clips on the back today and pray it fixes the issue...BTW turns out the Autozone ceramic pads for $59.99 actually came with both the wire clips and the metal spring clips mine just happened to be missing for whatever reason!
Old 08-22-10, 09:05 AM
magius231
Driver School Candidate

well, that didn't fix it...it actually feels like its grabbing and releasing, clunking. I know the front rotors are warped and need replacing as well, but I've never seen a car where the backs are affected by the fronts like this...anyone have any other ideas??

the front ball joints actually do need replacing but the sound is definitely brakes and from the back,,,you can feel the grabbing and releasing...
Old 08-23-10, 11:57 AM
red97rum
Driver School Candidate

Frozen/sticking caliper..? You torque down all the lug nuts? (had to ask ) What all did you replace? What condition did the brake components look to be in?

The little clips will usually only cause your car to make noise when going over bumps with the brakes not applied. The sound goes away when pushing the brakes.
Old 08-23-10, 12:55 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you checked your lower arm no2 bushing?
Old 08-23-10, 01:31 PM
magius231
Driver School Candidate

The brake pads and rotors were gone scraping metal. I replaced pads and rotors, didn't do calipers though. I greased everything up real good, everything looks on right and tight...
Old 08-25-10, 10:55 AM
magius231
Driver School Candidate

Well, turns out the rotors I bought new were warped as hell, so replacing them fixed the issue...really never seen that happened before with bad rotors. Something to keep in mind for everyone else