GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Gs300.. WONT START!:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 03:35 PM
TeenaMarie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Gs300.. WONT START!:(

ok here it goes guys... my car overheated on the fwy by the time i pulled over it cut off completely.. it was steaming a lil bit under the hood.. radiator was super dry.. resovoir was broke but was bypassing w/a plastic bottle w/ coolant in it (temporary) a guy looked at it for me and put coolant in it (radiator) and it started leaking from the bottom he said it was cracked.. i fixed that, but still wont turn over. he said it might be a sensor? he checked the oil and it was clean and there was no smoke oil or leakage coming from the muffler so its like parked in my driveway and makes a noise as if the battery was dead, but its not its brand new.. any ideas guys? please help! im a female that has no idea about cars lol please help!!!
Old 08-17-10, 03:58 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

hopfully the engine didn't seize. I would unhook the battery for a few minutes and the reconnect it. See if the computer resets.
Old 08-17-10, 04:30 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Does it crank? Or just click? Good suggestion above to try to reset computer. Could be the anti-theft device in kill mode.
Old 08-17-10, 04:38 PM
TeenaMarie
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

i did.. i thought maybe the battery was dead so i had it charged at a auto part place .. that alone was like an hour of no battery .. oh and it sounds like its dragging ( i dont know how to explain it lol) its sounds as if there is no spark there.. i know that my engine light was on before that, but the dealership i had look at it said i needed new plugs, but like a few weeks later this happened..
Old 08-17-10, 04:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

dragging meaning turning slowly like dead battery right?
Old 08-17-10, 05:30 PM
maximus54
Driver

The coolant system is pressurized... I would make sure there are no more leaks is the system and fix the reservoir issue... Since you say you don't have mechanical skills, take it to a mechanic and see what they say.
Old 08-17-10, 05:41 PM
TeenaMarie
Driver School Candidate

yes its dragging.. like hesitant... i would take it to someone, but that means i would have to have it towed back and forth..
Old 08-17-10, 05:54 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi.. you mention you fix something, assuming its the radiator that you replace... now make sure you check all the wiring in that area, like the ground, and the cables....and reset the ECU what Lexo says.... but when it over heated... how long you drove the car like that b4 you pull over... hope u didn't drive it for a long period of time.. so hopefully its not seized... also if the check engine light is on... see if you know anyone or rent a OBD2 tester and plug it in and see what the reading is....ECu might pick something up while it over heated... good luck....
Old 08-17-10, 06:23 PM
TeenaMarie
Driver School Candidate

umm it wasnt that long because i noticed and immediately pulled to the nearest gas station, but just died and never came back on.. i will defint. look into trying to get ahold of OBD2 tester.. hopefully something not too bad comes out of this.. oh and yes it was the radiator that was replaced.
Old 08-17-10, 07:35 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Where in Texas are you? Why not see if another CL member can come help you out?
Old 08-17-10, 09:25 PM
TeenaMarie
Driver School Candidate

i stay in dallas
Old 08-17-10, 10:04 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if Lexus has the same parts as a dodge ram that i encountered last week, but theres a part called the coolant temperature sensor which may have died with the extreme temperature of the coolant when it erupted... and it might not let the engine start as a precaution.. Not sure if thats how the system works, but could be worth a try. Im in Mesquite/Garland and took my moms GS300 to JeffTsai up in Allen... just sux that u cant get your car moving in the first place to take to him! good luck

Last edited by B4TM4N; 08-17-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 08:04 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Ah yes Jeff would be your best bet. He knows these cars inside and out.
Old 08-18-10, 08:32 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speed3000g
I dont know if Lexus has the same parts as a dodge ram that i encountered last week, but theres a part called the coolant temperature sensor which may have died with the extreme temperature of the coolant when it erupted... and it might not let the engine start as a precaution.. Not sure if thats how the system works, but could be worth a try. Im in Mesquite/Garland and took my moms GS300 to JeffTsai up in Allen... just sux that u cant get your car moving in the first place to take to him! good luck
Dont know if that would stop a car from starting and/or struggle to start. When I was building my drag car, I completely forgot to put mine in when I swapped out the lower intake manifold. She started just fine, just shot all the coolant out

With all the overheating driving she did, I'm starting to think that the pistons decided to finally expand and the poor thing is seized thus causing the struggling start up.
Old 07-23-11, 09:03 PM
kaisis300
Driver School Candidate

what did you end up doing with your car ms?

Quick Reply: 2001 Gs300.. WONT START!:(