GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tire woes. New tire ruined after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 01:25 AM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire woes. New tire ruined after lowering

So first of all i am lowered on Tein CS V2 coilovers. I had a moderate drop all the way around that i have been rocking for a couple years with no major problems on my daily driver. I Just got new tires a month ago, (Sumitomo HTR Z III 225/335/20 on an 8.5 inch rim.

Decided last week to lower my car a bit all the way around. Lowered approx 1/2 - 3/4 inch in the front. Was planning on getting an alignment soon afterwards But took my car on a 2 hour drive the next day. Then the morning after that i noticed i had a flat on my front drivers side

I took the tire off and took some pics as seen below. The pic of my car is the height i was at when the incident occurred. As you can see, the tire is jacked up on the inner side. The whole tire seems to be pushed off center to the outside making the sidewall appear completely vertical on the outside and dramatically rounded on the inside. There are also weird bulges, stretched areas and spots where there has obviously been rubber scrapped off. Was this the result of taking my car on a long drive without an alignment?

Took the car in to the shop and they told me they couldnt find a leak and that they think the "strut is pushing on the sidewall and letting air out" when i drive. Does this sound plausible? i must be rubbing on something but i'm not sure. Can a tire rub on the upper control arm? The tire holds air relatively well when its not being driven.

For the time being i lifted the car a bit and still have the tire on there but not driving on it. Tried putting the stock rims back on and experienced what sounded like a very noticeable rubber rubbing against something sound.

Trying to get an alignment asap and wondering if this will fix the problem?? All the other tires seem fine so i'm guessing it might be an alignment issue or perhaps the tire was installed wrong to begin with. Trying to figure out the cause of this so i dont jack up the new tire i'm going have to replace this one with.

Old 08-16-10, 01:55 AM
junjun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What psi are you running on your tires? I cant really tell by the pic but how much camber do you have?

I think what might have happened is that your front tire was low on psi and with lowering it, adding a little camber, you were riding on your sidewall and it separated. There isnt really a way to check unless you take the tire off and check, but sometimes if you press on the sidewall and it's really spongy you can tell. I would get an alignment check and keep an eye on your tire psi.
Old 08-16-10, 02:19 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Thats definitely not camber! Point your wheels straight and stand in front of your car and look at them. Is the driver side wheel pointed out? (i'm assuming its the inner side of the tire that wore right) I dont see a 1/2 inch or even a full inch drop creating enough camber to do that, even then camber wouldnt do that to a tire that quickly, toe will eat the hell out of it though. Also, not the greatest view of the tire, so cant really see how it wore. Camber wear and toe wear look totally different. This actually almost looks like it was rubbing on something and it grinded the hell out of it!
Old 08-16-10, 03:13 AM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Thats definitely not camber! Point your wheels straight and stand in front of your car and look at them. Is the driver side wheel pointed out? (i'm assuming its the inner side of the tire that wore right) I dont see a 1/2 inch or even a full inch drop creating enough camber to do that, even then camber wouldnt do that to a tire that quickly, toe will eat the hell out of it though. Also, not the greatest view of the tire, so cant really see how it wore. Camber wear and toe wear look totally different. This actually almost looks like it was rubbing on something and it grinded the hell out of it!
Yeah. I dont have too much camber as you can see my drop isnt too agressive. The sidewall of the inside of the tire was certainly rubbing on something, but i'm not sure what. Going to go visually see if my toe is off on that wheel and try and get an alignment if i have time today. And as far as the psi being low when i lowered the car thats a possiblity, but i'm not sure why the tire would have been low in the first place since they are new. I usually have them at 3.5lbs.
Old 08-16-10, 05:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

3.5 or 35? I ride closer to 40-45 Where the rub looks to be, first thing that comes to mind is the crown nut that hangs down from the Upper Control Arm(steering knuckle). How wide are your tires up front? I was getting rubbing there cause I'm on 22's and it was on the EXACT same corner of the tire, I've since taken care of it though. But again, what size tires you running.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 08-16-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 05:54 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

wait never mind you already posted 225... Hmmm.
Old 08-16-10, 10:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Well get your suspension checked out and get an alignment reading and we can go from there.
Old 08-16-10, 10:18 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

This is odd. i am on bags and drive alot lower than this. i havent gotten an allignment since i got my rims and lowered the car. I drover around for 1k and my tires were fine. I didnt have the chance to get my allignment thats why.

Hmm i was running 19x9 f with 225/35/19 and 19x10r 235/35/19. Generals

I'm doubting it is camber, cuz i had a lot. at my height so yeah.. Your wheels look like my old set of tires after 6k driving on it without flipping the tires.
Old 08-16-10, 10:50 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the pics, it looks like you were rubbing against the steering knuckle. I've only got 2-3 mm of clearance from that stupid knuckle myself.
Old 08-16-10, 02:38 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

I'm also lower using DF210's. Only problem I've had is uneven wear due to not getting an alignment.

Maybe get your fenders rolled as a precaution?
Old 08-16-10, 03:41 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

So i got an alignment today with the old tire still on there. In the front i'm at-1.5,-1.6 degrees camber in front, and toe is at 3/32in on both sides. I have RCAs up front to help with camber. Still a little nervous about putting a new tire on and having the same thing happen.

As Jokster and JiBBel are suggesting i think its hitting either the upper part of the steering knuckle or the crown nut on the control arm. Jokster, what did you do about your tire rubbing on the crown nut?
Old 08-16-10, 03:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ProfesrLEX
As Jokster and JiBBel are suggesting i think its hitting either the upper part of the steering knuckle or the crown nut on the control arm. Jokster, what did you do about your tire rubbing on the crown nut?
Took a grinder to that summabich! LoL grind the nut every so slightly and took care of the problem
Old 08-16-10, 03:51 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

yikes. i dont know about doing that
Old 08-16-10, 04:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The PROPER way to do it, is get a small 10mm spacer maybe even a 5mm may do the job In addition to the minor grinding, I put a spacer on and no problems
Old 08-16-10, 06:45 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that looks like toe to me, maybe a bad bushing or even bad shocks. it could be anything

Quick Reply: Tire woes. New tire ruined after lowering