GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

where the heck is the cupholder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 10:20 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dex
OK guys - here - closed , aka "stealth mode", and open

wow i never knew there were CUP holders in there!!!

hahahaha
Old 07-11-02, 11:47 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

i know i deserve all that...the pics helped!
actually, my 'cup insert' is missing, so the opening is just an empty space (particularly sized for sunglasses or a cellphone).

this is why i was looking elsewhere.

it could be time to close the thread!
ha.
Old 07-11-02, 12:07 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by liazon
actually, my 'cup insert' is missing, so the opening is just an empty space (particularly sized for sunglasses or a cellphone).

this is why i was looking elsewhere.

it could be time to close the thread!
ha.
if the attachment is missing, i undersatnd a appologize for laughin at u... cause i kno if the thing isn't there its not a cup holder at all!
Old 07-11-02, 06:56 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dex,

How did you get that chome shifter ring. That looks real sweet I been trying everywhere to get that with no luck. I think its time to visit the Lexus showrooms and get me one of those

Dave,
Great little mod you got. All you need now is some margarita mix and a blender. Do you think they make blenders that hook into the ciagrette lighter? Party anywhere anytime!
Would love to see pictures.
Old 07-11-02, 08:47 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Hey Dex,

How did you get that chome shifter ring. That looks real sweet I been trying everywhere to get that with no luck. I think its time to visit the Lexus showrooms and get me one of those
Thanks! I got that one from Steve G. before Lexus stopped offering 'em. Salvaged, or self-chroming I believe are the only other options.
Old 07-12-02, 10:43 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
actually i have to complain. the cup holders are way too shallow...... if you put a taller cup in there, and you just drive normally, it will flip over easily!!! anyone?
You guys don't remember this article?

http://www.insidelexus.com/vol1/cupholder/

Quote from article;
"We're always trying to
improve our cupholders.
For example, both the
2001 GS and the new
2001 LS 430 will have
improved cupholders,
in part because of our
response to customer
feedback we've received."

So, does this mean the 2001+ cupholders are totally different or just a better insert? Anyone care to check a 2000 model with a 2001 and compare?

Last edited by QBranchCars; 07-12-02 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-12-02, 12:38 PM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

I need that insert! Mine is missing (got it used). Nothing is worse having you coffe spills as it tips over backwards as you back out of your garage, late for work, because of the lack of a little damned piece of plastic.

Where can I get one? I should give my sales guy a call at Lexus of Manhattan.
Old 07-12-02, 01:19 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by liazon
i'm not laughing at with, just with you, because that is damn funny. it is a perfect place for glasses or phones or lots of things. some cars have a spot for glasses and without that middle thing, it is a perfect glass holder.

considering that thing can't hold more than a can, i might take it out once in a while andput stuff there. i'm a huge soft drink guy, so nothing goes well anyhow
Old 07-13-02, 12:52 PM
MarsB007
Driver

It works perfectly as a cell phone holder, sunpass holder. I also use the ashtray as a change holder (for $1 bills). I call it my reserve VALET money compartment... just in case i don't have any change on my for the VALET. Works great also when you have to pay for a parking garage.

You would think Lexus thought of putting a sunglass holder by the Homelink buttons, and move those either on the top of the cover or on the mirror... even a freaking RX has that if i'm not mistaken. And why not have on the GS the cupholders from the LS... the ones that you press and they just pop out?
Ok, i feel better now...
Old 07-13-02, 01:03 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i have the idea for a perfect cup holder.. i cant belive no one used it yet. It is very basic
Old 07-13-02, 01:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by QBranchCars

So, does this mean the 2001+ cupholders are totally different or just a better insert? Anyone care to check a 2000 model with a 2001 and compare?
I've never compared 2001 GS cupholder with mine..... I don't see any differences. Maybe the insert is different?

I think the GS cupholder is great..... it fits a super big gulp from 7-11 if I squeeze (the 2nd largest drink cup). Works great as a storage area also. But I think the best cupholder I've seen was on my dad's 97 SL500. Large and DEEP. and it's actually somewhat adjustable. it's like how the GS has it, a big rectangular tray. But the SL has 2 addition pull-out holders like those conventional pull-outs. But you can retract them to fit larger drinks just by putting them in the tray without the pullout.

complicated.
Old 07-13-02, 03:07 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a super big gulp? i'm a major 7-11 customer and keep the local store alive single-handedly. the second largest is a 44oz and no way in hell does that fit in mine, squeezed or not. my 2001 smaller? i think a 32 would fit, but never bought that. $.10 less, c'mon?

the only things that work for me are the ones that are fat on top and tiny on bottom specifically for cupholders.
Old 07-13-02, 06:48 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
a super big gulp? i'm a major 7-11 customer and keep the local store alive single-handedly. the second largest is a 44oz and no way in hell does that fit in mine, squeezed or not. my 2001 smaller? i think a 32 would fit, but never bought that. $.10 less, c'mon?

the only things that work for me are the ones that are fat on top and tiny on bottom specifically for cupholders.
by 2nd largest I don't include the extreme gulp, the refillable jug. I'm talkin about the 2nd largest fountain cup, the super big gulp, right after the double gulp. Double gulp is 60 oz, and super big gulp is 44 oz.

Double gulp has a cylinder cup so the bottom won't fit into the cup holder. super big gulp has a shrinked lower section so you can fit it into the GS cupholder with alittle squeeze.

Old 07-14-02, 01:54 AM
LexFather

[QUOTE]So, does this mean the 2001+ cupholders are totally different or just a better insert? Anyone care to check a 2000 model with a 2001 and compare

Qbranchcars, I checked this out YESTERDAY, the 98-00 models have the split cupholder plastic part, the 2002 Sportdesign I checked out had a rubber surround around the middle part splitting the cupholder. Not much of a difference but it may "GRIP" the cups when wet.
Old 07-14-02, 09:49 PM
gs300
Driver

how long you think this tread can go on about cup holders i think this thread might be more popular than vlad tread about tv/nav

lol

Last edited by gs300; 07-14-02 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: where the heck is the cupholder?