GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Evaporator DIY w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 07:49 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm buying my AC kit in a few days, my AC went out on me. Great post by the way, I would never attempt this DIY, btw. But the repair manual says to replace the evaporator just pull the radio and slide the vent after removing a few bolts, was removing the whole dash necessary to replace the evaporator?
Old 04-17-12, 09:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

How long did this took him? lol
Old 04-17-12, 09:15 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
How long did this took him? lol
Sorry, just laughed out loud after reading this.
Old 05-31-12, 08:38 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Can you scan the page and post?

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
I'm buying my AC kit in a few days, my AC went out on me. Great post by the way, I would never attempt this DIY, btw. But the repair manual says to replace the evaporator just pull the radio and slide the vent after removing a few bolts, was removing the whole dash necessary to replace the evaporator?
Old 05-31-12, 08:49 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

About a year later and I am planning on doing this.

Should I change the
1. Dryer
2. Expansion valve?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...|GRP60000_____
3. Evaporator (does it matter which brand?)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPACPTAMS_____

Also I am experiencing wet carpets and now passenger side vents blowing warmer than the driver side vents.

Does anyone know the part number for the evaporator box seal/gasket? Or should I just seal the box permanently with a marine sealant?

Also not all evaporators come with insulation? Does anyone have a picture of what the insulation looks like?

If the OP is still out there can you help me out?
thanks

Last edited by TriniLex; 05-31-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 05:20 PM
SteveGSguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chicotrini:
Here are a few pics of the original evaporator with the insulation. I am in the middle of the evaporator change right now. You can see where the old one was leaking in the lower right corner. I got my new evaporator from advance auto and it had the insulation already installed.

Personally I would change the expansion valve at the same time.

I doubt that you need a seal for the evaporator box, they screw together pretty tight. You might take a look at where the drain pipe attaches to the evaporator box, maybe the leak is there, or where the drain pipe goes through the firewall.

Good luck, this is not a job for the faint of heart.

Steve

98 GS300
03 GS430
04 GS430
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator DIY w/ Pics-evaporator-103.jpg   Evaporator DIY w/ Pics-evaporator-117.jpg   Evaporator DIY w/ Pics-evaporator-119.jpg   Evaporator DIY w/ Pics-evaporator-120.jpg  
Old 06-14-12, 07:24 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh you definitely cannot change the evap with only pulling the radio... The dash has to come out... If someone can get it out without pulling the dash, they are a magician....
Old 06-14-12, 07:28 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
About a year later and I am planning on doing this.

Should I change the
1. Dryer
2. Expansion valve?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...|GRP60000_____
3. Evaporator (does it matter which brand?)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPACPTAMS_____

Also I am experiencing wet carpets and now passenger side vents blowing warmer than the driver side vents.

Does anyone know the part number for the evaporator box seal/gasket? Or should I just seal the box permanently with a marine sealant?

Also not all evaporators come with insulation? Does anyone have a picture of what the insulation looks like?

If the OP is still out there can you help me out?
thanks
Honestly, there could be several reasons that the carpet is wet... One from the sunroof drains being clogged... 2 from that case being cracked... but something that hasnt been talked about as much that I think occurs more often than people think is a build up of condesation on the lines from the evaporator to the expansion valve... If you roll with your windows down and your AC on a lot in a humid environment, then the lines will get condensation on them and drip down.. I know this because I inspected my evap box and no seals were broked and it wasnt cracked... I put everything back together and still had wet carpet... it wasnt till I found out that some of the metal was exposed on those lines and water formed and dripped down and wet the carpet....
Old 06-14-12, 09:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh my dear lord not in a million years!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-12, 06:26 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can i fly you out to ny and pay for all your expenses and in return can you do this for me!?
Old 06-16-12, 04:23 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than starting another thread, need some help... AC is down ... When I first turn the AC on it blows cool but not to the full potential for about 30sec. max, then hot. I changed the expansion valve, but I'm thinking its the evaporator... Before I start breaking the car down I wanted to get some feed back before hand ...
Old 06-17-12, 07:10 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Wicked, I posted on your other thread... I had one here, but I guess i didnt submit it... It doesnt sound like its your evap if it still gets cold upon start up...
Old 06-17-12, 07:16 PM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great diy!! but lots of work
Old 06-21-12, 02:41 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neegroy
can i fly you out to ny and pay for all your expenses and in return can you do this for me!?
haha you would be better off just paying someone to do it... Im expensive =D... Really though.. Its not that bad... Just looks scary as hell....lol
Old 07-28-12, 12:57 PM
nezlyfe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turns out I have a leak from the evap and lexus quoted $2500. Thanks for the write up I feel better now to attempt this. How much did it cost you I'm looking at about $200 so far with the core expansion valve and dryer/cooler. Am I forgetting anything?

Quick Reply: Evaporator DIY w/ Pics