GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which Rims Look Better
The 17" chrome rims look better.
11.48%
The 18" rims look better.
88.52%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 10:16 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about chrome wheels, I have 18" chrome on my 2GS, just not feeling these. Go with the Lexus 18" wheels!
I have 18x8.5 with 245/40 tires all around and doesn't rub at stock height or lowered.
Old 07-26-10, 11:08 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mole
Pilot, you'll want to read this, I simply remember the things I did along the way, I had the same issue 4 years as you have right now with the rubbing, and it was oversized tires in the front. edit: btw, I had more issues rubbing with 245/45/18s on 8" wheels than I had lowered with 255/30/20 on a 9.5" wheels

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-05-sc430.html is a great thread to start understanding about running anything other stock wheels are your car.

as far as repairing the paint, you'll probably end up fixing it again, might as well live with it for awhile or paint the whole rim, trust me though, you'll be eyeing 19s soon, it happens to everyone, save your cash.

so out of everyone who voted you have 1 guy who hit the button by accident, 1 who thought it was funny, and your wife and one of her friends who want to chromies.
Thanks for the link. I saw that post like a year ago and didn't find it when I searched last night. That is very helpful.

I'm not sure if I measure the rim from the outside lip or inside. Does anyone know if these rims are 9.0 and 9.5 or if they are 8.5 and 9.0? They measure 9.0 and 9.5 from the outside edge of the rim.

For now I am inclined to go with 255-40-18 on the front. Trying to decide between 265-40-18 or 275-35-18 for the rear. If I can know for sure the 275-35 will not rub in the rear I may go with that. It is hard to transfer the power from the tires to the road off the line. The 235-50-17 PilotSport tires on the car now break loose and just spin when you step on it. Not sure if they just are not sticky tires or if too much power for the size of the tire. (Stock GS400 with chipped ignition module and free flow intake). Hoping something wider will not brake free so easily.
Old 07-26-10, 08:22 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My parents had the same exact rims which they sold to a kid who wanted to "pimp" out his geo prizm, and thats was 7 years ago!

I accidently clicked the 17" ones, but I d go with the 18"s. They look pretty good. The pattern on the chromies is ugly, sorry to say. And this is coming from a guy who loves chrome! Imo a nice set of chrome really sets off the cinnabar. Here is mine(sorry for whoring )
Old 07-26-10, 08:51 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus 18's on FALKEN TIRES
Old 07-27-10, 12:59 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
My parents had the same exact rims which they sold to a kid who wanted to "pimp" out his geo prizm, and thats was 7 years ago!

I accidently clicked the 17" ones, but I d go with the 18"s. They look pretty good. The pattern on the chromies is ugly, sorry to say. And this is coming from a guy who loves chrome! Imo a nice set of chrome really sets off the cinnabar. Here is mine(sorry for whoring )
Geo Prizm, ugg...

The chrome can look good on the red. Yours look nice but how do you keep from ripping off the front of the car going over dips and potholes, etc being that low?
Old 07-27-10, 01:16 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Wow, 30 to 5 on the votes so far and 3 of the 5 votes were a mistake. So the real tally so far is 33 to 2. Didn't like them but also didn't think they were that universally hated. Are there 2 chicks on the forum that voted for the chrome?

I wondered at times how someone came up with the design on those chrome rims...

Ordered tires today: 255/40/18 for the front and 265/40/18 for the rear. Got the Hankook Vetus V12 Evo K110 tires. Read a lot of good reviews on them and they are much cheaper than many comparable tires. Got the local tire shop to match the price from TreadSource which was very low. The price for the 255 was $146 and the 265 $155. Seems like a great deal if the reviews are accurate.
Attached Thumbnails Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!-tire.jpg  
Old 07-27-10, 08:21 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotSmith
Geo Prizm, ugg...

The chrome can look good on the red. Yours look nice but how do you keep from ripping off the front of the car going over dips and potholes, etc being that low?
Lol, its air suspension. I only park it that low. When I drive it, I raise it a bit, and I'm steady like teddy
Old 07-27-10, 02:10 PM
PilotSmith
Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Lol, its air suspension. I only park it that low. When I drive it, I raise it a bit, and I'm steady like teddy
Ah, that explains it! We added a vehicle last week to the family collection with air suspension but it doesn't go that low! It does go fairly high to go offroad.

Cayenne S

Wheels look tiny when jacked up! Doubt it will see too much offroad use...

Old 07-27-10, 05:40 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PilotSmith
Ordered tires today: 255/40/18 for the front and 265/40/18 for the rear. Got the Hankook Vetus V12 Evo K110 tires. Read a lot of good reviews on them and they are much cheaper than many comparable tires. Got the local tire shop to match the price from TreadSource which was very low. The price for the 255 was $146 and the 265 $155. Seems like a great deal if the reviews are accurate.

FWIW, I'm rolling on these same tires (different sizes) and I love them. Before I bought these I did a lot of research on here and other sites and went with the Hankooks and have been real happy. The Porsche is awesome!!!
Old 07-28-10, 11:49 AM
importhope
Lead Lap

The swirl rims dont go with the body lines or color, they draw alot of attention to them selves but dont go smooth with the car... atleast the stock 17's blend better.
Old 07-28-10, 03:42 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Originally Posted by importhope
The swirl rims dont go with the body lines or color, they draw alot of attention to them selves but dont go smooth with the car... atleast the stock 17's blend better.
Well put....I agree. Sometimes wheel companies design wheels and get too overcomplicated with just the focus of trying to make the wheel look unique by itself. Those chrome wheels do NOT go well with the GS. You want your wheels to integrate and compliment the lines of your car and not be too busy or disrupt the whole look of the vehicle as a whole.

The IS350 wheels look nice, modern, and you cant beat the OEM quality with hubcentric bores too! !
Old 07-29-10, 09:46 AM
josephjah
Driver School Candidate

Ditch the chromies... They make you look uncivilized. Those 18's look nice though!
Old 07-30-10, 07:53 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Got the tires and IS rims mounted yesterday and much nicer now. Nothing exotic like some of the cars on this forum but a much more cultured look now.

Based on the poll numbers it appears there are about 5 people who like the chromies I just took off. Well, feel free to PM me if you want to buy them! I'll make you a great offer. They have about 10% tire life left. Why be like everyone else? Get some rims that really stand out from the crowd! Hurry before I post them on Craig's List. You know, these rims are somewhat of a collector's item; they no longer are manufactured. Come to think of it, I have NEVER seen any other car on the road with those wheels and I see a lot of cars here in SoCal. Amazing! BTW, 4 out of 4 chicks I asked loved the chromies. So guys, maybe this is just what you needed to spice up your dating life. Let the bidding wars begin!

BTW, If anyone knows where I can find this man in the fur coat please let me know. He appears to truly appreciate unique rims.
Attached Thumbnails Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!-ugly.jpg  

Last edited by PilotSmith; 07-30-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 03:03 PM
PilotSmith
Driver

Here is the real thing. Would look nicer about an inch lower but quite an improvement from what was on there before. The very last photo is Photoshopped with front tinted and car lowered about an inch.

Thanks for the support in proving my wife wrong!
Attached Thumbnails Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!-gs1.jpg   Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!-gs-3.jpg   Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!-gs-4.jpg  

Last edited by PilotSmith; 07-30-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:42 PM
PilotSmith
Driver

Ok you elitist, snob, perfectionist, Lexus drivers. You missed out on buying my chromies. A dude from Santa Ana picked them up last week for his silver Dodge Caliber. So next time you see a Dodge Caliber with my old bling chromies, you'll know where they came from. LOL. I actually almost felt bad taking his money...

Quick Reply: Rate my rims and give me some tire advice please!