GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 08:38 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Original post has been updated to reflect the changes I have made to the system since the original installation.

Last edited by Debonair; 12-13-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-13-10, 08:53 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Blanco
I see that you wired the mute function. What exactly does that do? Does it kill all inputs to the amp? If so then maybe the line level brain output of the 605 wired to the input of the amp wouldn't yield desired results.
No idea. You would probably need to do some testing to determine how its muting the system, or find a member that knows. My guess is its just stopping audio from going to the amp. Its not relevant to my install so I did not concern myself with it.

Does this sound plausible, or do I just need to put down the crack pipe? I don't have a 605 to test out my theory, but based on the GS wiring diagram I've been looking at, and Debonair's DIY, I think it could work.Anyone disagree? Anyone? Bueller?
You are on track. It can be done.

Originally Posted by audax
Wiring this up to the car for purely using the phone is quite easy. The GS had an optional telephone from the factory/dealer, so there is wiring to support it conveniently located behind the passenger kick panel. I cut the speaker wire for the T605's speaker, and connected it to the driver's side rear speaker. The phone rings and plays audio from that speaker.
I was tempted to do this as well but the idea of the sound coming from behind me was not appealing to me so I passed.
Old 12-14-10, 10:07 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple other questions. Do you have a source on the spacer used for the button module?

Specifically for the iPhone; are you still able to use all the voice commands for the phone through the 605?
Old 12-14-10, 01:06 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Couple other questions. Do you have a source on the spacer used for the button module?

Specifically for the iPhone; are you still able to use all the voice commands for the phone through the 605?
Voice commands on the iPhone work fine through the T605.

About the spacer, no one can identify it? If not I will post a pic and the source when I get home.

Old 12-17-10, 07:22 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Any more info on the spacer?
Old 12-18-10, 06:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you make it so that the sound will go through the car speakers instead of the external speaker?
Old 12-19-10, 07:49 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Can you make it so that the sound will go through the car speakers instead of the external speaker?
Attached is the relevant page for the T605 install manual. Since Lexus cars don't have ISO connectors, it's generally substantially easier to use a separate speaker for the phone call audio and there is plenty of room under the dash to hide one. Or you could hack directly into a wire leading to a door speaker like others on this forum have down when installing phone kits. Sound clarity from external speakers for the phone call audio is usually excellent and as good or better than if a door speaker is used.

Newer phone kit speakers have gotten very small and still have excellent sound quality. Attached is a photo of an older and a newer Nokia phone kit speaker and some of the newer speakers are even smaller.
Attached Thumbnails New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit-motorola-t605-installing-the-external-speaker.jpg   New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit-small-nokia-speaker-low-res.jpg  
Old 12-19-10, 09:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
Attached is the relevant page for the T605 install manual. Since Lexus cars don't have ISO connectors, it's generally substantially easier to use a separate speaker for the phone call audio and there is plenty of room under the dash to hide one. Or you could hack directly into a wire leading to a door speaker like others on this forum have down when installing phone kits. Sound clarity from external speakers for the phone call audio is usually excellent and as good or better than if a door speaker is used.

Newer phone kit speakers have gotten very small and still have excellent sound quality. Attached is a photo of an older and a newer Nokia phone kit speaker and some of the newer speakers are even smaller.
My GS430 was at one point equipped with a phone. I still have phone controls on the steering wheel, and I wonder if I could exploit any of the existing wiring to make the bluetooth kit use car speakers instead of external speaker.

Also, I have aux in from Vaistech. If I was to split the wire that hooks to the external speaker, and rewire it with RCA connectors to hook it up to the aux in, I wonder if that could work.
Old 12-19-10, 10:13 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
My GS430 was at one point equipped with a phone. I still have phone controls on the steering wheel, and I wonder if I could exploit any of the existing wiring to make the bluetooth kit use car speakers instead of external speaker.

Also, I have aux in from Vaistech. If I was to split the wire that hooks to the external speaker, and rewire it with RCA connectors to hook it up to the aux in, I wonder if that could work.
There was a thread last year on another forum from an SC430 owner who tried to piggyback a phone kit interface harness from http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php for a Parrot Bluetooth phone kit onto a Vaistech harness but after he did, I think the problem was that the radio volume could not be adjusted. Last I heard, he was working with Vaistech to resolve the issue but he never posted the outcome.

Jainla over on lexusownersclub used the OEM wiring on his 01 LS430 UL to play the phone call audio through a door speaker - might be similar for your GS430 if the VAIS doesn't get in the way: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=34849

If you hooked your phone kit speaker wires to the aux-in, would you only hear the phone call audio only while in aux-in mode?

I think Jainla told us in one of his threads or in an email to me that if he had a "do-over" he would not have gone to the trouble to route the phone call audio through a door speaker. Routing the phone call audio through a door speaker doesn't do much other than providing a sense of accomplishment from doing it that way.
Old 12-19-10, 06:06 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Any more info on the spacer?
I made the spacer of several Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene blocks that were imported to the US from Denmark. Also known as Lego's. The blocks were glued together ahead of time with small drops of plastic glue. It is completely hidden unless you kneel down near the drivers side floor like I did to take the picture of it.

The T605's control unit has mounting tape on the back of it. A small piece of 3M auto double stick tape on the other side of the spacer and it was done.

Last edited by Debonair; 12-20-10 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-30-10, 09:32 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

LEGOS!!!! bwahahah genius!!!
Old 01-02-11, 07:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I installed this thing, and quite frankly, the quality of music playback is horrible. It degrades perfect mp3s encoded at 320kbs to something that sounds like a 40kbs internet stream.
Old 01-02-11, 08:43 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Are you playing music through the Bluetooth connection or hardwire?

Originally Posted by Och
I installed this thing, and quite frankly, the quality of music playback is horrible. It degrades perfect mp3s encoded at 320kbs to something that sounds like a 40kbs internet stream.
Old 01-02-11, 03:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Bluetooth, thats the whole point of this kit.
Old 01-02-11, 08:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ok, something is majorly wrong with mine.

I hooked up the wires just like you showed - red to red on radio, green to gray on radio, yellow to yellow-green on radio, and black to the ground. The unit wouldn't power up at all. So I reconnected the red wire to another source of power (spliced cig lighter wire).

Now when I start the car, the bluetooth unit powers up right away, whether the radio is on or off. Is it the way its supposed to be? I only have the green wire connected to the gray wire on the radio, and the yellow to yellow/green.

The mute function works fine, so the yellow to yellow-green must be fine. But the green/gray wife is probably wrong since the unit powers up right away. I understand the whole point of ignition wire is to only power up the bluetooth unit when the radio is on?

Also, I lost the backlight on the radio LCD. Backlight on the buttons works, but LCD is dark.

Quick Reply: New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit