GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 08:00 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
As I stated above the iPod music is good. Somewhere between FM and CD. Pandora, which is my preferred music player, is FM quality.

I may try the PureDrifer method of going through the CD Changer audio to see it that improves it at all. I am also considering a Grom AUX in or similar unit.
So how would this integrate with PureDrifter's aux in thru CD changer? I'm guessing adding a second pair of rca inputs to PD's aux in?

Would the call mute work for any input? In other words, if you were using PD's input, and were listening to FM, and call came in, would it still mute the FM?

I'd like to use a dock connector (iPhone 3GS) that charges, and sends music to system via PD's aux in. I'd also like to integrate your 605 mod as well. Do you think this is possible between the 2?

Great write up BTW!!
Old 12-10-10, 09:57 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
So how would this integrate with PureDrifter's aux in thru CD changer? I'm guessing adding a second pair of rca inputs to PD's aux in?
If you need two RCA inputs. All I am feeding in is the 605 so I only needed one set.

Would the call mute work for any input? In other words, if you were using PD's input, and were listening to FM, and call came in, would it still mute the FM?
Yes, it does.

I'd like to use a dock connector (iPhone 3GS) that charges, and sends music to system via PD's aux in. I'd also like to integrate your 605 mod as well. Do you think this is possible between the 2?
Sure. But I would get a regular Bluetooth kit since you would not need the A2DP streaming audio. Then you could use a cable like the one pictured below for hardwired audio and charging. I used a cable like this in my Durango with the RCA's hooked up to the Alpine deck and the charging to the electrical system.

Great write up BTW!!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit-sp32-20101210-095003.jpg  
Old 12-10-10, 10:01 AM
Debonair
iModerate

UPDATE:

I recently upgraded to a iPhone 4 and it worked immediately without issue. Expected but I figured I should mention it since someone might ask.
Old 12-10-10, 10:23 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

So did you in fact upgrade your FM mod to PD's aux CD input? I had to go back and reread what you wrote about the hookup. I see now about hooking the 605 rcas into the aux CD input.

So now my next question is, is it feasible to run the output that goes to the external phone speak, instead to a tap point in the factory system so that the sound comes through the factory stereo speakers?

If the audio out from the 605 brain to the speaker is a line level, maybe you could tap the say, front speaker wires, just after the amp? Or maybe just going into the amp?

If I didn't need the streaming capability of the 605, what other BT kit would you recommend for the iPhone?

I'm getting ready for a BIG refresh to my interior, and would like to incorporate this into my factory nav system with PD's aux CD input. I'm going to be pulling the dash for a tan to black conversion, and figured that'd be the best time to swap servos, install PD's hack, and your BT mod. I just want all the pieces present before beginning.

Thinking about doing a DIY for the whole process. (w/pics)

I have the Scosche solchat which works well, but having a hardwired BT solution is much more appealing.
Old 12-10-10, 10:26 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

OT, Love your pics. What tips are those in your pics?
Old 12-10-10, 10:27 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

One more question. Where do you find that cable in the pic?
Old 12-10-10, 11:10 AM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the T605 for years in my GS. Works fantastic.

I left the control pad inside the glove box since once you're paired, its not that useful. Sure you can answer a call, but I'd rather look at the caller on the phone first and then answer it.
Old 12-10-10, 01:31 PM
Debonair
iModerate

So did you in fact upgrade your FM mod to PD's aux CD input? I had to go back and reread what you wrote about the hookup. I see now about hooking the 605 rcas into the aux CD input.
I did not build the relay setup he has, just converted the CD out into RCAs and plugged the 605 into that.

So now my next question is, is it feasible to run the output that goes to the external phone speak, instead to a tap point in the factory system so that the sound comes through the factory stereo speakers?
Yes it can be done.

If the audio out from the 605 brain to the speaker is a line level, maybe you could tap the say, front speaker wires, just after the amp? Or maybe just going into the amp?
Yes you could. But you still need a way to tell the stereo to keep the amp on and music flowing without it interrupting your music with its own.

If I didn't need the streaming capability of the 605, what other BT kit would you recommend for the iPhone?
Find one that is iPhone capable and has the fetures you want and none you don't. I have used wired Nokia kits for years with great results. Never used their Bluetooth kits though. Parrot and Motorola both make good stuff too.

A side note: The A2DP Bluetooth setup will pause Pandora, iPod, or whatever audio it is streaming for a phone call and then automaticlly restart it when the phone call ends. I think a normal kit will just mute the cars audio and then unmute meaning you miss whatever played while you were on a call.

OT, Love your pics. What tips are those in your pics?
Magnaflow Part# 35126

One more question. Where do you find that cable in the pic?
eBay.
Old 12-10-10, 01:45 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by audax
I've been using the T605 for years in my GS. Works fantastic.

I left the control pad inside the glove box since once you're paired, its not that useful. Sure you can answer a call, but I'd rather look at the caller on the phone first and then answer it.
I use it for voice dialing (rare) and restarting Pandora after getting off the car to go into a store or restaurant. As long as I don't start a different audio program or game it will pick up right where I left off. the phone never has to come out of my pocket.
Old 12-10-10, 02:10 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

So am I understanding this correctly? You stream your music, be it Pandora, or ipod to the 605, which then sends it the signal to your rca input that you've wired to the cd changer.

Is that it?
Old 12-10-10, 11:32 PM
Debonair
iModerate

So am I understanding this correctly? You stream your music, be it Pandora, or ipod to the 605, which then sends it the signal to your rca input that you've wired to the cd changer.

Is that it?
Correct. I just realized that my schematic still shows the FM Modulator. I have removed that and spiced the T605 RCAs in place of the changers audio. So when I press the CD button the changer starts to read a CD but its audio goes nowhere. Instead whatever audio I send to the T605 is sent into the head unit and then out to the speakers.

Ill make a updated schematic and update this post.
Old 12-11-10, 07:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

abel, since your PM is full i'll ty again here....thanks for the schematics/layout you sent me
Old 12-11-10, 11:32 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Turns out after some more research, the 605 does indeed have line level and speaker level outputs from the brain. So it looks like the idea of having the incoming callers voice played over the speakers will work. The key is where to input the signal into the factory system.

I see that you wired the mute function. What exactly does that do? Does it kill all inputs to the amp? If so then maybe the line level brain output of the 605 wired to the input of the amp wouldn't yield desired results.

So maybe, if the speaker level outputs were hooked up post amp, say to one or both of the front speakers, then whether the amp was muted or not, the power from the "speaker level" output of the 605 would be enough to drive the speakers natively.

Does this sound plausible, or do I just need to put down the crack pipe? I don't have a 605 to test out my theory, but based on the GS wiring diagram I've been looking at, and Debonair's DIY, I think it could work.

Anyone disagree? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 12-11-10, 12:24 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

this is a nice setup.. I just bought the T605 motorola.. will be going to Frys to get the FM modulator..
Old 12-11-10, 09:09 PM
audax
Pole Position

Wiring this up to the car for purely using the phone is quite easy. The GS had an optional telephone from the factory/dealer, so there is wiring to support it conveniently located behind the passenger kick panel. I cut the speaker wire for the T605's speaker, and connected it to the driver's side rear speaker. The phone rings and plays audio from that speaker.

Quick Reply: New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit