GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

alot of money.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 03:04 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default alot of money.

i just want some advice from you guys. im getting 10,000 from my mom when i graduate high school.. iv always dreamed of having my car supercharged or turbo charged. i really do love my car. i plan on driving it till the doors,wheels and all that stuff fall off.. i day dream about hearing my car spool and hearing the blow off when it shifts. i even have dreams about popin the hood and seeing 2 shiny turbos. i talked to my uncle(my mechanic) and mom bout it and there ok with it cause of my driving record and how much im willing to learn about my car, they also like how most of the work done to the car was by me.
is 10 even enough? i know there is better things to spend my money on especially at my age, but remember this just a dream and a want. Not a need. keep in mind i work for a company and i take home $200-400 a week. and 200 goes to my insurance and gas and the rest is pocket money. you dont know how much i look up to you guys on here who have there car sc'd or turbo'd. i went from playing hours of need for speed before i got a car to spending hours on youtube today watching videos of all these nice cars on the dyno. let me know whats up befor i get too exited and then get dissapointed in the end when i realize i will be needing a real income for what i wanna do. i just wanna feel the power, and i drive just to drive not cause i wanna have the coolest fastest car. and i hope all that i wrote proves that.
please try to understand where im coming from. thanx
Old 06-20-10, 03:26 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be spending that money on college assuming you do not have a full ride...

You could easily go na-t for that money though
Old 06-20-10, 03:35 PM
cloead
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously.. been there man. dont dump 10k in to the car.

if you want to turbo it, it can be done for much less. be smart, bank at least half of it. you will thank yourself down the road.

unless your family is that rich and it doesnt matter.
Old 06-20-10, 03:37 PM
cloead
Driver

and if you want a cheap turbo car buy youself a turbo dsm to wrench on. your pocket will thank you later.

you can buy youself a clean/slightly built gsx for 4k these days. turbo will spool all you want, and then when it blows up you still have a car to drive.
Old 06-20-10, 03:46 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

grandma is covering my college.. thats why i wanna spend most the money on the car
Old 06-20-10, 03:58 PM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Lucky as hell. Im already 30K+ in debt after 2 yrs of college.
Old 06-20-10, 04:12 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I thought you sold your car dude?
Old 06-20-10, 04:21 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Get a motorcycle!! That's what I did. I use to have a civic hatchback with fully built b18c turbo. I sold that and got a Lexus gs300. I miss the speed and the sound of the of the turbo spoolin up to 10000 rpm. I was thinking about putting a whole lot of money just to get that feeling again. But I decided just to get a Suzuki gsx-r. So when ever I feel the need for speed, I just hop on the bike for an hour or two and that feeling last me a good month or two because sometime I scare the **** outta me and I don't even want to ride fast anymore. Haha

But like a lot of people will tell you "save it for a rainy day". Times are hard and 10 grand is hard to come by now and days
Old 06-20-10, 04:40 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a turbo sc and put the money left over in the bank.
Old 06-20-10, 04:52 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

If your college is covered then I would put half in bank or invest it and spend the other half on something fun. What YOU would do will ultimately come down too you, just figure out what you like and research it a whole lot.
Old 06-20-10, 05:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mtparker18
I thought you sold your car dude?
Thats what i thought to
Old 06-20-10, 05:44 PM
del3180
Rookie

Speaking from experience, there's nothing like the sound of turbos spooling up. I used to own a MKIV Supra TT. But honestly though, I've grown to appreciate the engineering of my Lexus and wouldn't change the reliability and relatively good fuel economy for the world. I'm speaking for myself of course.

There are plenty of better things to spend your 10,000 on. For instance a nice dirt bike or quad, or even an open bow bayliner, if you're into fishing.

GL with whatever you decide on.
Old 06-20-10, 06:05 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentGS
If your college is covered then I would put half in bank or invest it and spend the other half on something fun. What YOU would do will ultimately come down too you, just figure out what you like and research it a whole lot.
Agreed!
Old 06-20-10, 06:12 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigManne
buy a turbo sc and put the money left over in the bank.
i dont know where to find a turbo kit
yup thats what im plannin on doin, putting the rest in the bank..

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Thats what i thought to
i was cause i was strugglin to find a job and i got all these really bad offers but things got better so i decieded to keep
Old 06-20-10, 06:18 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

It would be foolish to put everything you have into a car barely worth what you're spending on it. Then again, I've boosted a n/a car and learned the lesson. It's fun and a nightmare at the same time. I had fun while I did it but I would never do it to my daily driver again. 10 years from now how cool you are will be measured by how smart you are with your finances. Be the guy with a college education that can fly his GF to Italy and get a real life experience.... not the guy that lost thousands when he resold his car that took two years to sell because nobody has money right now.

Then again, if you're rich do whatever. Even turbo builders have to eat...

Quick Reply: alot of money.