GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

alot of money.

Old 06-21-10, 11:56 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Plan it out...Think ahead...
1. Can you afford to supercharge or turbocharge your car with 10k? Yes you can.
2. Can your 200-400 a week check pay for a blown motor if something goes wrong?
3. Can your 200-400 a week check pay for a rebuilt tranny when the tranny starts to slip and go bad?
4. Can you turn a wrench yourself to save you money on rebuilding the motor if rings go bad, rod snaps, piston melts,etc?
5. If you have gobbs of power and cruising the streets and wreck the car trying to impress others...can you get your 10k back from from the car? probably not.

I've got over 10k in my motor/sc/tranny build and I'm still fighting the stupid factory ECU (going Haltech)...so more money is getting spent. Speaking from experience...this 36 year old man would tell you to keep your money and have a PLAN.
Old 06-21-10, 12:02 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

huh, I just read your post about selling your car....My mom raised us on her own too...single mom. If I were you, I'd

MAN UP, keep the 10k your mom gives you and buy her something special with it and put the rest away for when times are hard...she's obviously had it rough and no other man in her life can step up and do it except you...

I bought my mom a diamond ring when I turned 16 because my dad is a loser and never got her one. At 24 I bought her a house...I've got kids of my own right now and sometimes think of how hard it was for my mom raising 4 kids on her own, I've got 3 and my wife to help me and its still hard....Man up...
Old 06-21-10, 12:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

speedaddic you are my hero.
Old 06-21-10, 07:56 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
huh, I just read your post about selling your car....My mom raised us on her own too...single mom. If I were you, I'd

MAN UP, keep the 10k your mom gives you and buy her something special with it and put the rest away for when times are hard...she's obviously had it rough and no other man in her life can step up and do it except you...

I bought my mom a diamond ring when I turned 16 because my dad is a loser and never got her one. At 24 I bought her a house...I've got kids of my own right now and sometimes think of how hard it was for my mom raising 4 kids on her own, I've got 3 and my wife to help me and its still hard....Man up...

100% agree.
Old 06-21-10, 07:58 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Words of a true man. That's real love for your momma
Old 06-21-10, 08:51 PM
peterwho
Rookie

save your money! listen to the people who arent in high school anymore. you'll thank us later lol. but as they say, it aint trickin if you got it
Old 06-21-10, 09:25 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentGS
You could easily go na-t for that money though
I doubt that!
Old 06-22-10, 05:25 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of great advice here. I've been in the same boat in the past, so here's my random thoughts, some of which are duplicated:
1. Remember recent financial struggles and how crappy that felt -- I wouldn't risk being forced back into that. People that do this are the 45-year-olds with two much-used cars in the garage, and small house that needs work, and debt up to their eyeballs. Any idiot can spend more than they make -- set higher standards for yourself. By that age, we should be able to buy cars we don't want to mod.
2. All the guys & hot girls at the track are thinkin' Wow--sweet Lexus!! And it's boosted!?!? Ohhh... And a little hottie says, "S'cuse, me cutie, where you headed after this? Wanna get some dinner?" And your heart sinks 'cause you know you can't afford her for long, if at all, on what's left of the $10k and $2-400/week.
3. You realize everything you had is sunk into a $6,000 car. You know how much its worth after you put $10k into the engine? Maybe $9k??
4. Live a little. It does suck to watch a wad of cash pass under your nose and not be able to play some. But everything in moderation. Maybe spend $1000 on a set of used but nice rims and $200 on some used lowering springs -- install 'em yourself -- and take your mom out for an amazing dinner, and tell her about the $8,600 you just invested. Talk about your goals for the future. Watch her cry. You'll never forget that dinner, and with your goals officially declared to someone else, you'll be more motivated to follow-through.
Old 06-22-10, 06:52 AM
peterwho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
A lot of great advice here. I've been in the same boat in the past, so here's my random thoughts, some of which are duplicated:
1. Remember recent financial struggles and how crappy that felt -- I wouldn't risk being forced back into that. People that do this are the 45-year-olds with two much-used cars in the garage, and small house that needs work, and debt up to their eyeballs. Any idiot can spend more than they make -- set higher standards for yourself. By that age, we should be able to buy cars we don't want to mod.
2. All the guys & hot girls at the track are thinkin' Wow--sweet Lexus!! And it's boosted!?!? Ohhh... And a little hottie says, "S'cuse, me cutie, where you headed after this? Wanna get some dinner?" And your heart sinks 'cause you know you can't afford her for long, if at all, on what's left of the $10k and $2-400/week.
3. You realize everything you had is sunk into a $6,000 car. You know how much its worth after you put $10k into the engine? Maybe $9k??
4. Live a little. It does suck to watch a wad of cash pass under your nose and not be able to play some. But everything in moderation. Maybe spend $1000 on a set of used but nice rims and $200 on some used lowering springs -- install 'em yourself -- and take your mom out for an amazing dinner, and tell her about the $8,600 you just invested. Talk about your goals for the future. Watch her cry. You'll never forget that dinner, and with your goals officially declared to someone else, you'll be more motivated to follow-through.
#2. i dont think girls even care about that type of ****.. at least not girls here in dallas. almost all girls like luxury.. not racing lol. i think all that would be for you own fun and would turn heads of guys. but i dont think girls would care too much. (there may be a couple) lol
Old 06-22-10, 10:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
He posted another thread stating he kept it...

To OP:

I was under the understanding that your mom was having it hard thus the reason why you were selling your car? but now shes got $10k to give?

my answer, I've come up on a shi/ton of money in the past and squandered it as well. A car is the worst thing to 'invest' in. i say save AT LEAST half (should in vest it all). You want a supercharged or turbocharged car, you can get factory charged cars for much less than charging your GS and at the same time have 2 cars. I guarantee at your age, charging the only car you have will put it in the grave (the car that is) and leave you with nothing
Like Jokster said you maybe better off buying a already turboed vehicle like a EVO or WRX or something.. slapping on turbos and engine swaps cost more to maintain and could possibly run into issues down the road. Or at least beef up the suspension and put the rest in the bank..GL
Old 06-22-10, 10:45 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx guys. like people said i could still be stubborn and do what i wanna do lol but trust me i will keep all this is mind..

and to everyone who's wondering how my mom got the money is cause years ago she put money, i think in this disc and it would grow till this date and the date was when i graduate. and yes times are hard right now for my mom and me but were working together to make a life.

the reason why i was looking into this so much is cause is cause im guessing im just trying to get something i really want. i had it good 2 times and then things went bad. i dont think i got to personal on her nor do i want to but it started out living in a big house with my dad and mom and i got whatever i wanted.. then my mom and dad got a divorce, i moved from cali to az to live with my aunt and got a house, they split the payment and my aunt loved me and again i got what i wanted, my mom and aunt put it in my head that i was going to be getting my dream car,(carbon black 2001 bmw e46 m3) and thats what i wanted more then anything. and befor she dropped a payment on that car they got into a fight and we moved outa there, that was just recently like 2 years ago. i went from having everything to almost nothing, $20 would come around from here to there but with gas being $3.00 thats nothing. work is only 5 mins away tho so its no big if i dont have gas, its pretty much my weekend car lol. not to hecktic things are getting better tho! :]
Old 06-22-10, 10:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Moms come first for sure... Major Respect for you Speedaddic..
Old 06-22-10, 12:18 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

damn, $10k just for graduating high school....

Originally Posted by vwynn
speedaddic you are my hero.
+1
Old 06-22-10, 12:33 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
thanx guys. like people said i could still be stubborn and do what i wanna do lol but trust me i will keep all this is mind..

and to everyone who's wondering how my mom got the money is cause years ago she put money, i think in this disc and it would grow till this date and the date was when i graduate. and yes times are hard right now for my mom and me but were working together to make a life.

the reason why i was looking into this so much is cause is cause im guessing im just trying to get something i really want. i had it good 2 times and then things went bad. i dont think i got to personal on her nor do i want to but it started out living in a big house with my dad and mom and i got whatever i wanted.. then my mom and dad got a divorce, i moved from cali to az to live with my aunt and got a house, they split the payment and my aunt loved me and again i got what i wanted, my mom and aunt put it in my head that i was going to be getting my dream car,(carbon black 2001 bmw e46 m3) and thats what i wanted more then anything. and befor she dropped a payment on that car they got into a fight and we moved outa there, that was just recently like 2 years ago. i went from having everything to almost nothing, $20 would come around from here to there but with gas being $3.00 thats nothing. work is only 5 mins away tho so its no big if i dont have gas, its pretty much my weekend car lol. not to hecktic things are getting better tho! :]
it sounds like you have a lot better things you could do with that money then spend it on a car. no matter what car you drive, its still just a car that gets you from point A to point B. no matter how much money you dump into it, its not an investment, its a loss. save the money and put it to good use.
Old 06-22-10, 12:41 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

hey 187 -- do you think buying a car (whether or not you modify it later is irrelevant) is an investment? just purchasing a vehicle. or is it a loss? we got into an argument at work about this and ur post touched on it....wow speedaddic -- props bro "she's obviously had it rough and no other man in her life can step up and do it except you..."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alot of money.