GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Annoying intermediate BUZZ behind center console...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 06:18 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Annoying intermediate BUZZ behind center console...

Yes, i did the search, but the search didnt say if the buzz was a light constant humm, or sounded like someone's cell phone vibrating.

the sound isnt coming from the radio, it happens with the radio off as well.

the sound is possibly coming from the climate control. i havent completely ruled it out yet, but i did try turning off the whole system while driving and still heard it do the buzz once or twice.

the sound only happens when the car is on.

ive read that is could be the servo issue but, damn its a loud enough buzz to sound as if a cell phone was attached to the center console and buzzing.

any clues before i rip apart the center console?

thanx.
Old 06-18-10, 07:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Quite certain its the servo. Got a video camera with a good mic so you can take a video for us to hear it?
Old 06-18-10, 08:54 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think you searched good enough lol... I asked this same question before, thats how I know... lol

Regardless, The buzzing sound that you hear is a servo motor, the only thing you have to figure out is which one it is. When you hear the sound, try to place your head under or close enough to the bottom of the steering wheel, If the buzzing is coming from that one, then you are quite lucky, because that is the easy on to fix. There is a very detailed write up about this to change it.

The passenger side one is a real pain I read, to change... But there is also a nice write up on that one as well on here. keep us posted and good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need additional info or a good link to get the part for a reasonable price... Definately a dealer item... Been there...

Good luck,

Rich
Old 06-18-10, 02:38 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

its just hard to diagnose as im usually driving when the sound happens.

ill try to use the weekend to see if i can get a better idea.

and ill try to get the vid camera w/ mic and see if i can get a recording of it.
Old 06-18-10, 08:54 PM
cpxdamon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem, looks like it is coming from my passenger side on the left side of my floormats, anyone know where i can get the part for cheap to replace it?
Old 06-18-10, 09:01 PM
2G300
Driver School Candidate

Easiest way to diagnose it is to go through all the modes. If mine is set to blow on your face then it is fine, but if you want it on any other position then it buzzzzzzzzez! LOL....
Old 06-18-10, 09:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Wait...I thought your car was totaled?
Old 06-18-10, 09:45 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

is your rack and pinion too tight? happened to me until i re torqued it. Otherwise its pretty normal is you hear a VERY light buzz. if its your servo, then try blowing your AC/heater, see how each vent respond, if they all respond the same at the same temp. then its no problem.
Old 06-18-10, 10:32 PM
spooze
Driver

i hear something like water dripping or something behind the dash? any ideas
Old 06-19-10, 07:30 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

i bought an 01 GS430 as the replacement. i picked her up a couple of weeks ago. I stripped what i could off my old GS300, and most of it is sitting in storage for now until the replacement parts can come in. the gs430 has a few cosmetic blemishes, and some minor fixes here and there, but overall, engine is strong (minor coolant leak), and relatively low miles (110K miles)

i'd be all over working on this car if my back wasnt so gimped from the accident.

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Wait...I thought your car was totaled?

Last edited by SorrGwa; 06-19-10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-19-10, 07:33 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

i forgot to add that i set it to front vents only, non auto, only air from outside. the buzz sound happens for a second or 2, and is quite loud. thats why i questioned if it was the servo's as the climate control isnt adjusting or moving the air from one vent to the other.

the sound also happened once with the climate control completely off. however, with the weather being as it is, i couldnt stand without air movement in the car so quickly turned on the climate control again.

Originally Posted by 2G300
Easiest way to diagnose it is to go through all the modes. If mine is set to blow on your face then it is fine, but if you want it on any other position then it buzzzzzzzzez! LOL....
Old 06-19-10, 07:35 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

hmm, dont think its the steering. Its not that type of buzzing sound and as you said, thats a light buzz sound. This loud buzz is like if u left ur cell phone on the table, and the vibrate mode goes off.

my Daizen rack bushings just came in a few days ago, but cant get a time to get them put in until next week.

Originally Posted by GS3mike
is your rack and pinion too tight? happened to me until i re torqued it. Otherwise its pretty normal is you hear a VERY light buzz. if its your servo, then try blowing your AC/heater, see how each vent respond, if they all respond the same at the same temp. then its no problem.
Old 06-19-10, 09:23 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
hmm, dont think its the steering. Its not that type of buzzing sound and as you said, thats a light buzz sound. This loud buzz is like if u left ur cell phone on the table, and the vibrate mode goes off.

my Daizen rack bushings just came in a few days ago, but cant get a time to get them put in until next week.
do you feel hot air blowing with the HVAC off?
Old 06-20-10, 06:18 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

the climate control seems to work fine. i cycled thru every setting trying to get the buzzing to happen but nothing.

i drove around w/ a camera on video waiting for the buzzing to happen, but nope, not a damn thing.

as i said, it happens on and off, but when it happens, its freakin annoying!

ill give it a 2nd go today.

Originally Posted by GS3mike
do you feel hot air blowing with the HVAC off?
Old 07-03-10, 11:14 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

FINALLY GOT IT TO BUZZ LIKE A ****!!!

Nice hot day, had to use the a/c, so turned the a/c on to the front windshield, then hit the button to switch to front vents and BAM, non stop buzzing!

switched it from windshield to floor, then back to vents, no buzzing.. at least for a while (weird)

so yes, this sounds to be the servo's! thanx guys, ill do the search for the servo fix and see if thats the final solution before i go insane from the buzzing.

and no, my gf did not leave her vibrator behind the dash... again. =)

Quick Reply: Annoying intermediate BUZZ behind center console...