GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Catalytic Converter on the rocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 07:51 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catalytic Converter on the rocks

So I got a check engine light the other day and the dealership told me my catalytic converter is more than likely clogged. They quoted me $1200 for just the part. Is this a good estimate?
Old 06-03-10, 08:10 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

I guess the real question would be...is it better to get an OEM or replace with aftermarket. I would like to get better performance than stock but am not sure this would help any to replace with aftermarket...help???
Old 06-03-10, 08:19 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im also in the same situation as you. i am likely going with aftermarket replacement. i dont need the performance gains so any is fine with me
Old 06-03-10, 08:22 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

the mechanic said that if I go with an aftermarket it will more than likely will not turn my check engine light off because of less air flow through it. I would like to go this route as well but not sure I can handle having the check engine light staring me in the face everyday.
Old 06-03-10, 11:58 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would an aftermarket have less flow? They both have a similar ceramic substrate. (Or you can go with a metallic cat for better flow and will still be cheaper than the OE unit)

I think an aftermarket unit will be just fine. He's just trying to make more money...
Old 06-04-10, 05:28 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Awesome thanks for the advice YviE!!
Old 06-04-10, 06:15 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome.

You might want to check out Magnaflow / Carsound cats. I've got good experience with them.

The difference between the Magnaflows & the Carsound is the heatshield, it's polished stainless steel on the Magnaflows. Purely esthetic.

Which cat is faulty on your car? If I'm not mistaken, the 300 has primary and secondary cats, the 400 must be the same.

But it could also be a faulty O2 sensor. Make sure you know what is exactly wrong with your car before buying any expensive parts.
Old 06-04-10, 06:27 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a an aftermarket cat, but i haven't installed it yet. I paid 1/4 of what a factory cat would have cost. And this is for a bolt in design
Old 06-04-10, 08:20 AM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

i've been using magnaflow after market for about 3 years never had a problem don't let mechanic over charge you!
Old 06-04-10, 08:29 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told by my stealership that I needed to change both of my cats.. 1200 each when my Check Engine light came on.. I went home jacked the car up.. got under it and felt air pushing thru the bolts on the cat.. I opended it up and the gasket was in pieces.. went back to Lexus, bought the 2 gaskets for $12 each.. put them in Check Engine light is gone.. car is quieter and I havent had any problems since.. check that..
Old 06-04-10, 08:52 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

There are 2 seperate cats (left and right). The passenger side is the one giving me the problems. I just had the O2 sensor after the cat changed on the passenger side.

The engine light came back on after 200 miles. I was out of town for 5 weeks and drove about 1200 miles during that time. The engine light then went out but then came back on a couple of days later.

Last edited by jcastaneda; 06-04-10 at 08:53 AM. Reason: for got to delete
Old 06-04-10, 02:01 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcastaneda
There are 2 seperate cats (left and right). The passenger side is the one giving me the problems. I just had the O2 sensor after the cat changed on the passenger side.

The engine light came back on after 200 miles. I was out of town for 5 weeks and drove about 1200 miles during that time. The engine light then went out but then came back on a couple of days later.

Does your exhaust sound a little more deep then normal? do you get a bad rotten egg smell when highway driving? what other symptoms other then CEL do you have that might tell you the Cat is bad.. when my CEL came on on my 430 the code was setting off my passenger Cat and the dealership told me to change both.. check for those gaskets like I told you.. could save you alot of money..
Old 06-04-10, 02:07 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

The exhaust does sound more deep than I would think it should sound. But that is the way it sounded when I bought it. Haven't smelled the rotten egg thing yet. The code that came up was P0430. I will check that he in the next day or so. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what I find.
Old 06-04-10, 02:15 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.. if it sounds deep and you have no exhaust mods.. I would check for that leak.. remember dealerships dont really make their profit from new or used car sales.. Service department brings in all the cash.. so sometimes its good to see what they have to say but not always follow.. hope I help..
Old 06-04-10, 02:32 PM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

I dont' mean to hijack, but I'm going to...I've been hearing what sounds like the rattle inside of a spray paint canister at times from under my car (01 GS300), is that indictive of a cat going bad. No CEL lights (or rotten egg smell) yet, just curious. If that isn't enough info, let me know and I can do some more research on my own. I guess I'm just curious as to what other symptoms lead up to a "bad" cat.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter on the rocks