GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

airestonia - Lexus GS300 2001 silver (European and stock), lots of pictures :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 03:38 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denIS200
Great mods Eugene

Nice works done

I'm waiting for the wood steering result

And you're welcome for anothers mods.

Denis.
Thank you!

BTW I have forgotten that me and my friend Silos have made a "mod" on the trunk, to make it open all the way up from a remote! Will snap a video and post it up when I get a chance!

And BIGGEST thanks to my friend Silos5 for helping me out BIG time this past weekend!
Old 08-24-10, 08:42 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airestonia
As some of you have noticed European GS has an antenna at the back of the car. It looks ugly and I hated it Well, this one is kinda sorted as well, here are some pics:
Looks pretty cool. Where did you get this part? Or did you make it yourself?

Please let me know.

Also, I would be interested in the wiring of the foglights.

Thanks
Old 08-25-10, 08:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

As some of you have noticed (part 2 ), all European GS have inner tail ligths act as fog lights, well finally I had them wired up so that they would act as stop lights, but with a switch of a button they would be back to acting as foggies, vital for technical control. Here is a crappy phone pic:

im confused,so inside the inners is a fog light??
Old 08-25-10, 08:50 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YviE
Looks pretty cool. Where did you get this part? Or did you make it yourself?

Please let me know.

Also, I would be interested in the wiring of the foglights.

Thanks
You've got PM

Originally Posted by sakataj
im confused,so inside the inners is a fog light??
Hello sakataj.
As I've already written and explained the Euro spec GS is equipped with "rear fog-lights" that are placed inside the "inner" taillights. What it basically means, that on Euro GS the inner taillights don't work at all unless you press a button inside the cabin to turn the rear fog lights on.
When they are on, it looks as if the inner taillights show that the car is stopping but the outer lights work as usual at that time. The word fog-light as per GS means that it's the same lamp as you have on USDM spec GS, it also a two "string** " halogen lamp (not sure about that "string" word I've used though ). The fact that it has two string means that it could be used as a proper "STOP" light. One string for braking and the other for "driving" light. But since Euro GS has two wires going to the trunk lights (+12V and earth) I had to run another one for the "driving light" to work at all!
I will make a video and take more pictures this week, that will explain in a better matter
Please reply if you have some questions, but I'm sure you will not have any after I make a video

** tungsten filament is the word I was looking for when I used the word string
Old 08-25-10, 09:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Hello sakataj.
As I've already written and explained the Euro spec GS is equipped with "rear fog-lights" that are placed inside the "inner" taillights. What it basically means, that on Euro GS the inner taillights don't work at all unless you press a button inside the cabin to turn the rear fog lights on.
When they are on, it looks as if the inner taillights show that the car is stopping but the outer lights work as usual at that time. The word fog-light as per GS means that it's the same lamp as you have on USDM spec GS, it also a two "string** " halogen lamp (not sure about that "string" word I've used though ). The fact that it has two string means that it could be used as a proper "STOP" light. One string for braking and the other for "driving" light. But since Euro GS has two wires going to the trunk lights (+12V and earth) I had to run another one for the "driving light" to work at all!
I will make a video and take more pictures this week, that will explain in a better matter
Please reply if you have some questions, but I'm sure you will not have any after I make a video

** tungsten filament is the word I was looking for when I used the word string
so all your saying is the bulb in there is a dual filament bulb? we have that...although i have heard several people talk bout the NON USDM fog lights in the trunks i cant picture it. im sorry im a tad confused....maybe a language barrier? maybe im retarded....who knows....when you post your video maybe i will understand
Old 08-26-10, 06:03 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What's unique about the trunk lamps? I thought all GS's are fitted with rear fog lamps in the trunk?
Old 08-26-10, 07:07 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

In the US, the trunk lights are brake lights. In Europe, they are fog lights.
Old 08-26-10, 07:14 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLK13X
What's unique about the trunk lamps? I thought all GS's are fitted with rear fog lamps in the trunk?
Who said they were unique? I posted a picture for other non-USDM GS owners to see that re-wiring rear inner lights to make them work as stops without loosing fog-light possibility is possible!

Thanks for backing me up on this one mate
BTW was everything clear on the PM I've sent you?
Old 08-26-10, 07:16 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Hey! Yeah thanks for the PM. Sorry I haven't replied yet. But, yes, very clear for the antenna.

Btw, is your antenna now on the rear window?
Old 08-26-10, 10:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

all NON USDM ones do

Who said they were unique? I posted a picture for other non-USDM GS owners to see that re-wiring rear inner lights to make them work as stops without loosing fog-light possibility is possible!

Thanks for backing me up on this one mate
BTW was everything clear on the PM I've sent you?
ok so i think i understand you now....in a NON USDM GS the inners were used as a fog light instead of as a brake light but now you have them wired to work as a brake light and as the fog lights? if this is the case that seems silly for them to do but who knows....

i still would like to see a night time video to notice any differences
Old 08-26-10, 10:58 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

You can't use them as fogs and brake lights at the same time. You'd have to choose. The mod he did lets him choose them as brake lights all the time, except the day he has to go to the yearly technical control. If the fogs don't work, the car won't pass and won't be street legal.
Old 08-26-10, 08:22 PM
ekhatchguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wanted a silver with black interior gs
Old 08-27-10, 01:44 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I see. I was under assumption that all 2GSs had trunk fog lamps but then again assumptions are the mother of all stuff ups

I like what you've done with the antenna though. I was going to get the antenna shaved since mine stopped working a few months ago
Old 08-27-10, 01:48 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

that is some clean interior!
Old 08-27-10, 02:14 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

You can't use them as fogs and brake lights at the same time. You'd have to choose. The mod he did lets him choose them as brake lights all the time, except the day he has to go to the yearly technical control. If the fogs don't work, the car won't pass and won't be street legal.
You're 100% right my friend!

Originally Posted by ekhatchguy
I always wanted a silver with black interior gs
Thank you, it sure is a cool combination. It might be a surprise for you, but this combo is more or less common in Europe But I still love it!

I see. I was under assumption that all 2GSs had trunk fog lamps but then again assumptions are the mother of all stuff ups

I like what you've done with the antenna though. I was going to get the antenna shaved since mine stopped working a few months ago
I'm going to get this hole welded and painted eventually, this is just a solution I came up with as temporary measure! But it looks better that a sticker I've been rocking for months

Originally Posted by dejavu157
that is some clean interior!
Thank you sir

Quick Reply: airestonia - Lexus GS300 2001 silver (European and stock), lots of pictures :)