GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

question on front licence plate frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default question on front licence plate frame

i was looking at the front bumper, and i notice that there are 4 places where the bumper is dented in a bit, possibly for you to screw in the licence plate frame. i then looked at the front licence plate frame and kinda confirmed that.

so i am wondering. no doubt the front licence plate is ugly, and i won't put it on. but is there some other front licence plate frame for the gs400 where it doesn't require me to DRILL through the bumper? that's kinda ridiculous. on my current car there are actually moutning mechanism undert he fornt bumper to mount the frame so i odn't have to drill on the bumper. if there's such a thing i would get it for the gs4.

thanks!
Old 06-17-02, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and i was also wondering, for those in cali without front licence plate, you ever got pulled over for it?
Old 06-17-02, 12:35 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no license plate frame for the GS that does not require drilling. There was a discussion about this on an earlier post, where someone suggested using some type of adhesive. My suggestion would be to not put it on at all. I made the mistake of putting mine on and as soon as I was finished, I thought "why did I do that". I have been driving my Beemer for about 5 years without a front plate and have never been ticketed. When I get my new bumper in a couple of weeks, I will NOT be putting on a front plate.
Old 06-17-02, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah thanks for the reply. guess i shouldn't put it on then. i dont' think adhesive is a good idea at all. after time and the power of the sun, bad things are bound to happen....
Old 06-17-02, 12:47 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

i have those drill holes on my front panel as well... haven't gotten pulled over yet... been drivin my old car with no license plate in the front for years...
Old 06-17-02, 01:22 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Needless to say, my GS3 is a definite poh magnet. I've been pulled over at least three or four times in the last two months. I've come to expect it now.

Anyway, a MD State Trooper pulled out and followed me for about a mile, then blue-lighted me. Once pulled over, he said that I didn't have a front plate. So, while he's doing his thing in his car, I'm trying to caluculate the # of points.

Once he returned he told me that it wsa a 0 point violation in MD, but a $50 fine. He further informed me that only 2 states in US do not require front plates. In the end, he only gave me a warning, as I had the front personalized tag in the passenger seat rear pocket.

No way in hell am I drilling into my aftermarket front clip. !!
Old 06-17-02, 01:23 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Don't bother

I wouldn't put a front license plate on either. I have one on just because I bought it used and it already had the holes. Chances are you won't get pulled over anyway...but it depends where you live in Cali.

Peace
Old 06-17-02, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am either in LA area or up in north cali (san jose). you got stats? :P
Old 06-17-02, 02:23 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Same thing bothers me as well. I don't need a front license plate but the damn license plate holder looks ghey. Damn thing left square indentions in my bumper. Oh well.
Old 06-17-02, 02:55 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had my gs nearly 2 years and never got pulled over. installed my bodykit and didn't put on the front plate, and two days later, got a cop pulling me over, right in the middle of campus, at school rush hour. that was a little more attention than i needed....

told him i just got my kit on, but had no receipt to prove it. so now i carry a copied receipt with updated dates so that it always says i just got it installed and picked up a on friday at 6. "i'm sorry, but i got my car late and they didn't have time to drill the holes. i have an appointment to have it fixed in a few days at the shop."
Old 06-17-02, 03:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bravo261
had my gs nearly 2 years and never got pulled over. installed my bodykit and didn't put on the front plate, and two days later, got a cop pulling me over, right in the middle of campus, at school rush hour. that was a little more attention than i needed....

told him i just got my kit on, but had no receipt to prove it. so now i carry a copied receipt with updated dates so that it always says i just got it installed and picked up a on friday at 6. "i'm sorry, but i got my car late and they didn't have time to drill the holes. i have an appointment to have it fixed in a few days at the shop."
haha, send that template to me, i need it
Old 06-17-02, 08:28 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

I can tell you from practical experience not having a front license plate in the certain Los Angeles areas can be problematic. Not showing a front plate is similar to non-factory window tints in California. It's very subjective and random in terms of ticketing.

There is a certain motorcycle traffic officer in Manhattan Beach that has stopped me a number of times for tinted front side windows and no front license plate. Tinted windows citations are simply a fine (no fix-it inspection) while front license plate requires inspection. This guy has a bug-up-his-a** regarding tinted windows and while he did his 'walk around' noticed I didn't have a front plate.

In Santa Monica the Parking Patrol people also wrote me up once for a missing license plate while ticketing me for a parking violation.

I finally put my front plate on since I got tired of paying tickets and going through the inspection BS.
Old 06-17-02, 08:40 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

A coworker of mine just got a $100 ticket for no front license plate a week or two ago in San Francisco on his 3000 GT while he was parked no less! According to the metermaid they are now enforcing front plates for the red light cameras.

I however do not have front plates on my lex and have not been stopped or ticketed yet.
Old 06-17-02, 08:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

btw guys i got a question. in cali, if i get pulled over for not having front licence plate, will i get points on my record? i think it shouldn't. you should only get points for moving violations right? and for not having front licent plate it's like illegal street parking, you pay and go, right? can someone confirm that with me? i mean if that's the case, i don't mind paying money to NOT have the licence plate on...
Old 06-17-02, 08:44 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

To the best of my knowledge it's not considered a 'moving violation' so points are not 'awarded'. It simply digs into your wallet and time.

Quick Reply: question on front licence plate frame