GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 09:54 AM
nasageek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry question

I just bought a 98 GS400 and the previous owner gave me only the master key and a "spare" key, which looks like a key to get me in and out of the car in case I lock myself in. He didn't give me the keyless entry remote which is why I'm posting here today.

The security system in the car looks stock. I'm wondering if I can go to the dealer and order a new keyless entry remote, provided that I give them my VIN, and if so, how much would it cost and for them to program it for me?

Is the keyless entry remote embedded in the key as I have seen some car manufacturers do, or is it separate, similar to a an alarm remote?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-10, 10:26 AM
nasageek
Rookie

One other question, which I should be able to answer if I had the car with me here at work, but I dont. Anyhow, will I be able to lock all the doors with the master key? I assume the key I have is a master key because I can actually start the car with it Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-10, 10:37 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

The key/remote is basically 1 FOB. You can save a little by ordering the key from Sewell (board vendor) and then bring it to your local stealership to have them program it. Not sure of the cost. Good luck!
Old 04-21-10, 10:53 AM
nasageek
Rookie

Oh shoot...so I guess the "master" key I have is really a spare, but I can still use it to start the car and everything else. Well, if I assume if I order the key from Sewell, I'll have to get it cut either from them or at the dealer. Sounds expensive haha
Old 04-21-10, 11:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ if u dont have a MASTER KEY u will have to get a new comp as well.... ouch
Old 04-21-10, 11:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

There are 4 types of keys

Remote Master - has lock/unlock/trunk release (can unlock anything, start the car, and keyless entry)
Master key - black with Lexus logo (can unlock anything and start the car)
Valet Key - gray with Lexus logo (Only good for unlocking the doors and starting the car)
Wallet Key - basically just the blade (only good for unlocking the doors)

You will need the remote master or master key to be able to program any future keys.
Old 04-21-10, 06:32 PM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess the last post should basically shed some light on what key you have. Usually you should get one remote master and a valet key. Maybe the previous owner lost the master remote and got just a master key... Good luck though...
Old 04-21-10, 06:42 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The way to tell if a key is a master key is very simple - insert the key into ignition and see what happens to the security light. If it turns off instantly, it's a master key. If it does not, it's not a master key.

You should always strive to have more than one master key, because as if you lose your only master key, you'll have to reprogram or swap the ECU. So if you find that you have a master key, make another one (it can be remote or non-remote). Some valet keys can be programmed into master keys, I did that to mine. But of course you need one master key to start with.
Old 04-21-10, 10:11 PM
nasageek
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
There are 4 types of keys

Remote Master - has lock/unlock/trunk release (can unlock anything, start the car, and keyless entry)
Master key - black with Lexus logo (can unlock anything and start the car)
Valet Key - gray with Lexus logo (Only good for unlocking the doors and starting the car)
Wallet Key - basically just the blade (only good for unlocking the doors)

You will need the remote master or master key to be able to program any future keys.
The key I have looks grey so I assume its a valet key. It can open the 4 doors but I noticed it cannot open the trunk.

Since the key can start the car, it should have a chip that communicates with the ignition. I don't understand why I can't bring this key to Toyota so they can produce more keys, which would be able to start the car.

Originally Posted by lyonkster
The way to tell if a key is a master key is very simple - insert the key into ignition and see what happens to the security light. If it turns off instantly, it's a master key. If it does not, it's not a master key.

You should always strive to have more than one master key, because as if you lose your only master key, you'll have to reprogram or swap the ECU. So if you find that you have a master key, make another one (it can be remote or non-remote). Some valet keys can be programmed into master keys, I did that to mine. But of course you need one master key to start with.
This confused me. The valet key I have turned off the security light. Maybe it was programmed as a master key?

In any case, I purchased a viper alarm and had it installed today. It came with keyless entry for the doors and trunk. Works great.

I'll probably bring my key to Toyota to get another spare. Definitely need at least one more.
Old 04-22-10, 08:19 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by nasageek

This confused me. The valet key I have turned off the security light. Maybe it was programmed as a master key?
Did the valet key turn off the security light instantly? That is the litmus test.
Old 04-22-10, 10:15 AM
nasageek
Rookie

From my recollection, yes, although I didn't pay much attention to it because the car started just fine. I don't think you lose much functionality of the car with the valet key (performance or general use) other than no access to the trunk. Correct?
Old 04-22-10, 10:53 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by nasageek
I don't think you lose much functionality of the car with the valet key (performance or general use) other than no access to the trunk. Correct?
I think that's correct. My point was that with a master key you can make more master keys, but without it, you can't. So if your valet key is programmed as a master key, it might behoove you to make another one in case you lose the valet key. But if you already don't have a master key, then you have nothing to lose .
Old 04-22-10, 11:38 AM
nasageek
Rookie

I think that's correct. My point was that with a master key you can make more master keys, but without it, you can't. So if your valet key is programmed as a master key, it might behoove you to make another one in case you lose the valet key. But if you already don't have a master key, then you have nothing to lose .
Thank you and everyone else for the help!