GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 front oil seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 06:23 PM
lexusaht
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gs300 front oil seal leak

I had changed my timing belt, front seal about 1 year ago. For the last 2 months my front seal started to leak. I had a chance the weekend to change all 3 front seals, but the main oil seal still leaks, even more this time. I had checked for scratches on the shafts, looks ok. This time I decided to tapped the seal all the way in, it's about 2mm recessed in. Is this correct, or should the seals be flush with the engine? seals are original parts. Are there aftermarket seals that will sit tighter? What's the next step? Please help. thanks in advance.

Alex
Old 04-12-10, 05:31 PM
viapol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if this will help you, but worth looking at. I changed both cam seals and front crank due to a leak in the front. Finished the job and still had a leak in the front. Come to find out it was my VVti- Pulley leaking...had to buy a new one. Not a DROP of oil since pulley change. I HATE leaks..I may be obsessive, I will spend 2000 on a 1500 car fixing oil leaks only to somehow justify it by thinking in my head I will drive it for 400,000 miles...too get my moneys worth.LOL
Old 04-12-10, 05:42 PM
BichoteGS
Driver School Candidate

yea most likely its the vvti gear. had same problem with mine. they are a pain should be changed when t belt is done
Old 04-12-10, 07:40 PM
lexusaht
Driver

had some time this evening to take the 2 top covers off. I don't think the VVTi pully or exhaust pulling are dripping any oil. Looks like it's coming from the bottom main seal. Likely will try to reinstall another main seal next weekend. any tips for installing one.
Old 04-12-10, 11:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was going to make a DIY video guide on that, but I don't think I ever got the chance lol. Anyways, make sure you have some kind of tool that can push the seal evenly and firmly. I used a PVC pipe with the same diameter as the seal, and I put a cap on the end of the PVC pipe that the hammer will hit. Then you use the hammer and lightly tap the cap side of the PVC until the seal is fully seated. If you **** the seal sideways during installation, you could possibly damage it. Some people like to put silicone sealant around the outside edge of the seal so it stays "glued" in the oil pump assembly. Make sure you clean the area very thoroughly with brake cleaner so there is no trace of oil. Silicone does not stick to oil.

Also, make sure you use OEM seals. DO NOT use aftermarket because they are no so consistent on tolerances and sizes. They could pop out or leak after a little while.

The other thing is that it could be your VVTi pulley leaking as the other people here have mentioned. It problem that usually only occurs higher mileages, usually around 150-200k.
Old 04-13-10, 01:26 PM
lexusaht
Driver

I had coated the seal with some oil to help it seat better. will having some oil in the seal cause a leak? . Will try it with some silicone this time. I may go ahead n change out the VVTI pulley while I'm at it. Let you'll know if it works. thanks for all the reply.
Old 04-13-10, 03:15 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I was going to make a DIY video guide on that, but I don't think I ever got the chance lol. Anyways, make sure you have some kind of tool that can push the seal evenly and firmly. I used a PVC pipe with the same diameter as the seal,
PCV pipe using crank pulley bolt to slide in flush with housing
Old 04-13-10, 03:45 PM
Ryncarzk
Driver School Candidate

Do not use aftermarket seals. They usually end up leaking like JeffTsai said. Also make sure that you did not roll the inner lip of the seal. That could also be giving you the oil leak.