GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinking of buying 98 GS400 w/ 150k miles. Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 10:15 PM
dragonv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 98 GS400 w/ 150k miles. Should I?

Would appreciate some help, trying to gauge how much costs would be to own a car with that many miles or if I should look for something different or less miles. I want a daily that I will be able to keep for years to come and not having to worry about putting money into it. I plan on doing suspension and wheels and slowing modding after that.

1. How expensive is this car to fix compared to other cars?
2. What specific things should I be looking for with cars with this high of mileage
3. How much per month should I be saving for possible repairs?
4. How long will the engine last ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-10, 10:36 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

sup, it should run over 30000!!!! lol dont worry by the time engine stops, u'll be driving something else!!so enjoy ur gs4xx very fun ride!! Good luck by the way my is 144xxx still runs strong
Old 04-08-10, 10:58 PM
nguyengs42
Driver School Candidate

true. 98 gs 200k haven't touched the engine, got it at 90k. obviously you need regular maintenance but runs great just don't abuse it.
Old 04-08-10, 11:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonv
Would appreciate some help, trying to gauge how much costs would be to own a car with that many miles or if I should look for something different or less miles. I want a daily that I will be able to keep for years to come and not having to worry about putting money into it. I plan on doing suspension and wheels and slowing modding after that.

2. What specific things should I be looking for with cars with this high of mileage

Thanks in advance!
how much is this car is the 1st ? i have

answers to your ?'s IMHO

1) depends on what kinda car u coming from in regards to $ needed for repairs...

u coming from a audi or BMW its nothing, coming from a honda or a kia or something its gonna be alot more than your used to....but it DOESNT have to be to much to bare.

2)make sure the maint has been kept up....since its a sub 2001+ model make sure the balljoints been changed, its should have had a 90k timing belt done, all fluids and now its probably rolling onto the 150k suggested maint. IF THE MAINTENANCE HASNT BEEN KEPT UP I DONT CARE WHAT THE PRICE IS, I WOULD WALK AWAY FROM IT. to me its different if a car with 20k hasnt been well maintained it can be corrected but if a car with 150k has been dawged for 100000 miles and not taken care of i dont want the issues it will start having

3) depends.....i dont typically save for repairs. i just save $ and if i need some, i use it. there shouldn't be monthly service going on....i can only think of one thing i need to do to my own gs that it NEEDS, not that i wanna do. it NEEDS a new drivers side motor mount but while im in there im gonna do all the motor and tranny mounts (total of 3) cause for me it makes sense to change all 3 then to change one, pay for the labor and have another one go out and re-pay for the labor (yeah,i said pay for my labor. typically i do most of my own work except my engine stuff. im getting to the point i almost dont wanna do anything anymore though lol

4) that depends ALOT on # 2 , the past owner(s) and how well u take care of it.

welcome to the club (this is the first detailed & informative post, i have posted in awhile for a noob. enjoy )

Originally Posted by iloveGS4xx
sup, it should run over 30000!!!! lol dont worry by the time engine stops, u'll be driving something else!!so enjoy ur gs4xx very fun ride!! Good luck by the way my is 144xxx still runs strong
im assuming u meant well over 300,000 not the 30k it's already passed. sorry could help myself

Last edited by sakataj; 04-08-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 04:59 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
im assuming u meant well over 300,000 not the 30k it's already passed. sorry could help myself
LOL I was thinking the same thing myself.
Old 04-09-10, 05:07 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I abuse my gs300 and now it's falling apart... I did a donut and all the rear suspension is now bent. It's hella-ma-expensive to fix. I only like it for the looks and comfort. The drivability... really sucks. It can't handle like my 240.
I beat the crap out of the motor. It's still running smooth. When you get a high mileage car. You should have at least another $3,000 Just for maintenance...
Old 04-09-10, 07:59 AM
rstreidl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a '98 GS 400 with 160k on it, it now has 190k. Main issue has been front suspension/steering. The rubber bushings get worn and cause decreased stability. I also replaced the front shocks. But other than that the engine runs like a top and it goes down the road smooth. There's a lot of gadgets on these cars, so you are bound to have issues, like my remote trunk release on my key doesn't work, right rear window won't AUTO close because sensor for detecting obstruction is out of adjustment or something. Also make sure you get an extra key. They are about $160 from the dealer and they break after time.
Old 04-09-10, 08:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tuanville
I abuse my gs300 and now it's falling apart... I did a donut and all the rear suspension is now bent. It's hella-ma-expensive to fix. I only like it for the looks and comfort. The drivability... really sucks. It can't handle like my 240.
I beat the crap out of the motor. It's still running smooth. When you get a high mileage car. You should have at least another $3,000 Just for maintenance...
stop doing donuts and abusing your car lol
btw WHAT? why do u need 3k for maint? with ALL the things i have done for maint, i doubt i have spent 3k (def not in labor) especially with all the info i have gotten from here made replacing/repairing alot of them cheap/easy

Originally Posted by rstreidl
I bought a '98 GS 400 with 160k on it, it now has 190k. Main issue has been front suspension/steering. The rubber bushings get worn and cause decreased stability.=make sure you get an extra key. They are about $160 from the dealer and they break after time.
just replace those bushings with the daizens. i paid like 118 from our vendor sewell. they cut it and shipped it to me.
Old 04-09-10, 08:43 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

3 Major things: Timing belt/water pump $$$, starter (800$$$), and lastly which i never had to do bc prev owner had it done is the front lower control arms or ball joints(sorry dont remember,i know they break and leave your car on the ground).. Yeah when they get older the keys break, weather stripping on bottom of doors starts to peel off but overall the GS4 is a great car esp for a DD.. i owned mine from 90k-140k and only got hit hard with the starter as far as repairs go.. Great gas mileage too for a V8 wit 300hp. i got 20mpg mostly highway.. Man i miss my GS4 haha The steering is a little sloppy(its not a BMW) but IMO its a way better, more reliable car and cheaper to fix.. GLW ur search..
Old 04-09-10, 08:48 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a black on black GS400 for sale. PM me an email address and I will send some pictures and price.
Old 04-09-10, 08:51 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... Just make sure all the maintenance is up to date..
Old 04-09-10, 10:04 AM
dragonv
Rookie

Thanks for the info thus far. They are asking 7200 for the car and I am coming from driving Honda to answer your questions sakataj. What should I look for or ask when I go look at the car? At 150K should it have maintenance done or will it have one up coming?
Old 04-09-10, 10:44 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks in advance!
i have my lexus for sale at a reasonable price and i have lower miles. already have wheels on it. pm me im located in az to
Old 04-09-10, 11:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info thus far. They are asking 7200 for the car and I am coming from driving Honda to answer your questions sakataj. What should I look for or ask when I go look at the car? At 150K should it have maintenance done or will it have one up coming?
well coming from a honda, the repairs will be alot more expensive but can be helped with info/vendors from this site.

i would DEF make sure they got proof the LBJ (lower ball joint) has been changed and any other maint they claiming that has been done. if it was done at a lexus dealership u can look that up without a receipt but if done at a independent dealership make sure u got some proof. nothing worse than someone CLAIMING to have something done and they didnt

Originally Posted by gsean400
i have my lexus for sale at a reasonable price and i have lower miles. already have wheels on it. pm me im located in az to
might wanna try this guys....if u interested
Old 04-09-10, 01:58 PM
dragonv
Rookie

thanks guy. and you got a pm gsean400

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 98 GS400 w/ 150k miles. Should I?