GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?

Old 04-03-10, 07:44 PM
Kip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?

Like title says, everything works, besides speed needle, so i first hooked it up to a computer and drove, and the computer picked up how fast i was going, so i thought it was a bad cluster, bought and paid $350 for a 100% working one, and does the exact same thing. someone else suggested speed sensors, my car has 2, so i replaced them both, no dice. car is a 98 lexus gs400. Are there any fuses, or wires i should trace, or any other suggestions? running out of options, would like to know how fast im going, and oh yeah, the mileage doesn't add up either it's at 82,700 miles. And I bought the car in this situation, so i dont know the history.
Old 04-03-10, 08:02 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe someone unhooked that to not have miles add up. Basically odometer fraud. Not sure if it's even possible on these cars though.
Old 04-04-10, 11:45 AM
Kip
Driver School Candidate

i thought the same thing, but dont know where to look :S, but the mileage still counts, just not the mph guage..

Last edited by Kip; 07-01-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 01:57 PM
ydjy
Rookie

I guess that your only option now is the violet-then-blue wire in the schematic below. The box on the top is the cluster.
Attached Thumbnails Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?-speedo.png  
Old 04-04-10, 03:27 PM
Kip
Driver School Candidate

I did remember when i switched the cluster, there was a blue wire that was cut but it was reconnected with a butt connector, so i thought maybe that it was not making a connection, so i cut it and added a jumper wire, and connected it together properly (so i knew) but made no difference. I also think it was a pink wire also that had the same thing, but i think someone just tapped in to those wires before.
Old 04-05-10, 02:29 AM
ydjy
Rookie

well, the abs ecu knows your speed (because the computer displayed how fast you were going). The instrument cluster is probably OK (hard to believe that two of them would have the same problem), so your options are down to this wire and the sender in abs ecu.
The abs ecu generates pulses while driving. You should see them when you connect a voltmeter between this wire and any ground and drive about 12 mph.
Old 04-05-10, 12:16 PM
Kip
Driver School Candidate

I hate to ask, and im sure I wont want to, but any idea what a abs ecu costs for this car? I will try the voltmeter sometime later when i get a chance. or a part number on it.

Last edited by Kip; 04-05-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 02:46 AM
ydjy
Rookie

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=202&year=159
89540-30390
price for new: $2323,08
Used ones should probably be around $50. However, I'm not sure whether it's plug&play - you will probably have to calibrate it with your car.
Old 04-07-10, 09:13 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have seen this problem also with a GS400
Stuck on 100,400 miles and trip readers not moving, neither MPH
VERY weird
Old 04-07-10, 02:14 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

When I had a problem with this, I reset all the DTCs in the under hood box with a jumper wire. After resetting everything worked. The problem already happened when I lost traction in the snow.

Works fine for a month, I do a 540 degree spin out in the snow, everything stops working again. It happened on my road. I drive home, reset again it's all working.

This says to me it happens to my car when the front wheels lose traction. Coincidentally, when codes are reset. 2 Codes come back. Front ABS wheel sensors. When the speedo isn't working the car is throwing 12 codes.

I contacted you via PM on how to reset it. If that doesn't work, I'd get all the DTC codes scanned at Toyota or Lexus since you need their specialized scanners to do it and go from there.
Old 04-07-10, 02:15 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

The pins aren't labeled, so i just went to autozone had them do a diagnostic on it, nothing came back for odometer or speed, then had them reset, erase the codes, then drove off in high hopes, but needle stayed at 0 No idea what else it could be.

^^^ PM I got from Kip.

Autozone scanners can't reset/read codes stored in the traction abs ECUs. You need to reset it via the under hood diagnostic port with a jumper wire. Let me find the instructions for you.
Old 04-07-10, 03:14 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Open your hood. Locate the box in picture #1. Open the box as seen in picture #2. Remove the metal pin in the bottom inside of the box as seen in picture number 2. Take a wire cut on both ends and insert it into the two ports as seen in Picture #3 (notice pin is still in pic 3, it shouldn't be. Didn't feel like taking it out).

Go inside the car with the wire connected. Put key in ignition to on position but don't start car. Then pump the brake pedal rapidly for 5 seconds. You will see all your indash lights begin to flash on the dash. Take the key out. Turn the car on and drive it, hopefully your speedometer works. If not, then there is underlying sensor or wire issue.
Attached Thumbnails Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?-1.jpg   Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?-2.jpg   Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?-3.jpg  
Old 04-08-10, 10:17 PM
ydjy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
The problem already happened when I lost traction in the snow.
This says to me it happens to my car when the front wheels lose traction. Coincidentally, when codes are reset. 2 Codes come back. Front ABS wheel sensors. When the speedo isn't working the car is throwing 12 codes.
Now that you mention it, I also once had this problem when getting out of the snow. However, one of my front ABS sensors was damaged and all the warning lights (ABS, VSC, VSC OFF) were lit.
Old 04-12-10, 09:20 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Yeah I think when the front wheels lose traction when a front abs sensor is gone, the car goes german on us. lol
Old 05-10-10, 09:04 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all your abs sensors one may be loose. there behind your brake rotors with a 10mm bolt holing them in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?