GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

automatic manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 11:46 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. I've been shifting up and down on mines since day 1 too(5 years ago) and its a 99' GS400. Nothing really noticeable about the tranny as far as sticking gears or delayed shifting etc. But I do have a question tho. Would changing the tranny fluid be a good idea even with the wear and tear, and if so, what type of fluid do you guys suggest?
Old 04-13-10, 12:32 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Amsoil ATF...great stuff! and is Lexus approved!

It just sucks because my car "shifts stupid" sometimes when driven softly; something having to do with my torque converter and when it locks up. Sometimes it is a PITA to drive because I will find that it doesn't shift to the next gear unless I either give it a little more gas or let off a little and then give it gas again. But when I am WOT (or 75%) it shifts good
Old 04-13-10, 03:03 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Jefftsai... I have to imagine that your transmission is "built" to handle all the power you are putting down... Do you think it is an ok idea to blip it on downshift in a gs3. I tried that a few minutes ago after this post came back up and I was able to do it Now that I know about that I am going to be doing it all the time! It still kinda seems like blasphemy to me, but...
Old 04-13-10, 05:39 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I use Amsoil ATF...great stuff! and is Lexus approved!

It just sucks because my car "shifts stupid" sometimes when driven softly; something having to do with my torque converter and when it locks up. Sometimes it is a PITA to drive because I will find that it doesn't shift to the next gear unless I either give it a little more gas or let off a little and then give it gas again. But when I am WOT (or 75%) it shifts good
I don't have a torque converter or anything, but when my car is cold it hesitates for a while to shift from 1st to second. It will hover around 3000 RPM and I'll have to give it a good bit of gas to finally shift.
Old 04-13-10, 06:19 PM
gzhottt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude i've been driving my gs400 manully for the last 8 years so far no problem. I'm so used to it I can't leave it on D. I have e-shift button but I perfer moving the stick. I like it so much that I might buy 04 LS instead of 07 LS after this cuz I hate pumping action(to much work..and stupid at the same time) just a lot simpler the older way. You guys may be right about causing damage to tranny..but so far I havn't had any problems with tranny or clutch. Once you master driving manual dude its a blast ..hardly ever using your brakes its just to much fun.
Old 04-13-10, 06:25 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

^ LOL

I would like to see you drive
Old 04-13-10, 07:20 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

Haha this is a great thread which is actually something ive been thinking about, when i drive in D i dont like the shifts, especially the way it downshifts if i coast when i just wanna roll, and when this happens i put it in neutral and i hear a clunk ( i know someone can relate) either way -- If the roads are dry, Iam e shifting (with buttons, not through the gate which i think is alot slower) If the roads are wet I cruise so slow, windows up (20tint) and just hide from the world. If the weather is nice -- roof tilted, front windows 50% down,vsc off, e shifting all the time, with left thumb downshifting and left pointer upshifting. left elbow on the armrest and right hand on the shifter, arm on the rest. i also pretend to press the clutch (only when im alone, and in e shift) and when iam on foot i do BOV sounds....