GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VSC + ABS + VSC Off lights.

Old 11-02-11, 09:49 AM
IceHocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dashboard Lights

Recently, I have the same problem with my 2001 LX470. The vsc on, abs lights were lit on the dashboard. I believe 4 in total. Also, there was an alarm sounding.....annoying. Brought it to the Lexus dealership.............master cylinder and accumulator.......their quoting me $3,000. I called localized "import auto repair" shops. I recieved an estimate of $1350 for the part (apparently Lexus loves this part as you can only get it at a Lexus dealership) and $140 for labor. I've read posts regarding this issue. Anyone out there with recent and similiar experiences? Thank you.
Old 10-13-13, 03:13 PM
unreal1171
Driver School Candidate

found this thread, need help also, searched a bit and cant find how to locate the abs sensor to follow the cable, any pics around stilll?
Old 10-24-13, 08:36 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

I just had all 3 VSC OFF/VSC/ABS lights come on for 2 minutes and then turned off by themselves for the first time this morning, since I bought the car in September. The Check Engine light was not on, the car drove off from the red light just fine. The lights turned off by themselves just as suddenly as they came on.

I've not messed with the brakes recently, although I did have 2 new tires put on the rear. However, I've taken the rear wheels on and off at least 4 times by myself well before that with never any issues, and I am positive there is really no sensor close by to hit while replacing the wheels/tires.

If this happens again I'll take it to the local shop that did the timing belt service and see what their experience says. I pray it's the not $$$$ master cylinder because that's gonna be a big problem.

Last edited by Sampak; 10-27-13 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 09:13 AM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay my man. $500-600.

If my abs failed, I think I'd retro-fit a conventional brake system. Later GS's don't use this system.
The following users liked this post:
NexusD (07-19-19)
Old 10-25-13, 10:26 AM
tlfuller
Driver School Candidate

Default same issue plus another

About a year ago, I noticed that my brake lights (3rd plus rear lights) would stay on all the time, only when the headlights or parking lights were on. During this time, the cruise control would not engage - makes sense.
About 2 years prior I had replaced all the bulbs with LEDs. When I put the LEDs in I didn't use resistors. I read on CL Forums about cutting the wire in the Light Failure module, that stopped the dash light.
The brake light issue is still occurring, so yesterday I tried moving my Brake Light Switch. I didn't have the brake issue, but now the VSC lights came on briefly.
I'm not sure why this is all happening now, it could be LED related or maybe the master cylinder/booster needs replacing.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Sampak
I just had thie VSC/ABS 3 lights come on for 2 minutes and then turned off by themselves for the first time this morning, since I bought the car in September. The CEL was not on, the car drove off from the red light just fine. The lights turned off by themselves just as suddenly as they came on.

I've not messed with the brakes recently, although I did have 2 new tires put on the rear. However, I've taken the rear wheels on and off at least 4 times by myself well before that with never any issues, and I am positive there is really no sensor close by to hit while replacing the wheels/tires.

If this happens again I'll take it to the local shop that did the timing belt service and see what their experience says. I pray it's the not $$$$ master cylinder because that's gonna be a big problem.
Old 02-17-16, 09:11 AM
Jtlewis629
Driver School Candidate

It's the alternator. Just happened to me with no cel and my alternator was only putting out 12.78. So the vsc and abs systems didn't have enough juice to run properly
Old 02-17-16, 05:56 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtlewis629
It's the alternator. Just happened to me with no cel and my alternator was only putting out 12.78. So the vsc and abs systems didn't have enough juice to run properly
Three year old thread. Also, CELs do turn on those lights as well so it's not the alternator.
Old 02-18-16, 05:48 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
i have the same problem on my gs and ive had it at a few different shops and even at the dealer and they havent figured it out, right now its at a shop where they checked everything over and every sensor is fine besides a speed sensor on the rear pass side, they ordered a new one, and if it doesnt cure the problem i wont have to pay nothing, i hope it does though im sick of it
Took my old 2GS to Project X Customs in the Chicagoland area.
Eli found the problem in 3 mins.

I had 3 ABS wheel speed sensors that went bad.
Found them at pick and pull pretty cheap.

Was told I can:

A. Replace all 3 sensors and have my lights go off permanently or
B. Replace 1 at a time until I get all 3 sensors....going this route, I might as well replace all 4 and make the lights dissappear

THEN

My 4th sensor went dead...= dead speedometer.

So Take heed...start replacing all 4 ABS wheel speed sensors now before your speedometer stops working like mine did
Old 04-16-17, 03:13 AM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Default Speed sensor

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Took my old 2GS to Project X Customs in the Chicagoland area.
Eli found the problem in 3 mins.

I had 3 ABS wheel speed sensors that went bad.
Found them at pick and pull pretty cheap.

Was told I can:

A. Replace all 3 sensors and have my lights go off permanently or
B. Replace 1 at a time until I get all 3 sensors....going this route, I might as well replace all 4 and make the lights dissappear

THEN

My 4th sensor went dead...= dead speedometer.

So Take heed...start replacing all 4 ABS wheel speed sensors now before your speedometer stops working like mine did
im sorry for the 1 year later reply to ur thread but I need help badly ,when your speed sensors weren't functioning correctly were your VSC lights on and off at the same time ? ,oh and where exactly by the wheels are the speed sensors located (I did research on where it's located ,but I get no luck at all ) PLEASE HELP BRO ,I'd appreciate it so much man
Old 04-16-17, 09:30 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by eeric7
im sorry for the 1 year later reply to ur thread but I need help badly ,when your speed sensors weren't functioning correctly were your VSC lights on and off at the same time ? ,oh and where exactly by the wheels are the speed sensors located (I did research on where it's located ,but I get no luck at all ) PLEASE HELP BRO ,I'd appreciate it so much man
Buy or borrow a obd2 scanner that reads abs codes, so you know which wheel(s) has the bad sensor. The sensor is attached to the hub behind the brake rotor. It's held in place by one 10mm bolt. Bottom left of picture:VSC + ABS + VSC Off lights.-photo850.jpg
Old 04-17-17, 06:18 PM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Buy or borrow a obd2 scanner that reads abs codes, so you know which wheel(s) has the bad sensor. The sensor is attached to the hub behind the brake rotor. It's held in place by one 10mm bolt. Bottom left of picture:Attachment 407875
thank you so much man I appreiciate that and just to be exact is it this one ? And that's the rear ?
Old 04-18-17, 03:01 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Yup, that's it. The picture is front suspension. The rear should have the same(or similar sensor) I can't remember exactly but, it should be the only thing with a wire coming out of it.
Old 04-18-17, 08:32 PM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Yup, that's it. The picture is front suspension. The rear should have the same(or similar sensor) I can't remember exactly but, it should be the only thing with a wire coming out of it.
but did you also have ur ABS light on ? Cuz I only have a check engine and VSC on and off at the same time ,no ABS light
Old 04-18-17, 08:43 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by eeric7
but did you also have ur ABS light on ? Cuz I only have a check engine and VSC on and off at the same time ,no ABS light
I honestly don't remember. You really need to hook it up to a obd2 scanner that reads abs codes, otherwise your just guessing. You can buy them for like $50 or something nowadays.
Old 04-19-17, 05:31 PM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

I honestly don't remember. You really need to hook it up to a obd2 scanner that reads abs codes, otherwise your just guessing. You can buy them for like $50 or something nowadays.
i got 1 I can use but not sure about the abs codes ,appreciate the help though man ! And tips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC + ABS + VSC Off lights.