GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

need an a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 08:07 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry need an a/c compressor

I took my 2001 gs430 to the shop to get the ac serviced because it wasnt blowing cold air. so they told me i need a new ac compressor.
Does anyone know where i can get one for a fair price?? it doesnt have to be be brand new..

also does any one know the part number for the compressor??

Last edited by dannyg0990; 03-29-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 08:12 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

search your local parts store...napa, checkers, autozone, etc...unfortunately, most are refurbed. There are some online shops that sells them too.
Old 03-29-10, 08:48 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a remanufactured one on eBay but I'd check with other part stores to see the price difference.. I bought a remanned one on eBay ( Different seller than this one) and it turned out to be WEAK... so I had to buy a used oem one and pay labor TWICE.... Do it right the first time and save some of the headache i went through !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

Autozone has it for $900........ but it's built with Denso specific parts it says in the notes: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=52-0

This site looks Legit:: $578
http://www.lexuspartstore.com/catalo...11921+9270+773

Last edited by B4TM4N; 03-29-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 10:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

take it or leave it but my recommendation is to replace the drier/expansion valve while your in there.

this at a shop u can trust? ALOT of mechanics diagnose issues to be the compressor and ALOT of times it isnt. i always start out by cleaning the radiator, condenser with a coil cleaner to make ure it isnt clogged, then checking pressures (this is ONE of the most important steps) and then if needed to add or remove pulling a vacuum and flushing the lines. its a few extra steps that arent necessarily always needed but keep small issues from creeping back up

the denso one above looks ok, i would trust it before i would trust the 200 ebay ones

OP does it blow cold air at all? like when your moving does it? from time to time the expansion valve/drier get clogged up and cant get any flow through them so it wont blow cold air and first thing mechanics say is u need a compressor so u change the compressor and then your still having the same issues... i went through this last summer with a friends but vacuuming his down and flushing the lines worked for his
Old 03-30-10, 09:09 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj

OP does it blow cold air at all? like when your moving does it? from time to time the expansion valve/drier get clogged up and cant get any flow through them so it wont blow cold air and first thing mechanics say is u need a compressor so u change the compressor and then your still having the same issues... i went through this last summer with a friends but vacuuming his down and flushing the lines worked for his
How'd you flush the lines? Did you have to remove the expansion valve so the flush wouldn't touch it?
Old 03-30-10, 09:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed3000g
How'd you flush the lines? Did you have to remove the expansion valve so the flush wouldn't touch it?
its rare to flush in a car, unless u changing refrigerants/oils you wont need to flush (there are no electrical components in a cars system that would "burn" causing a flush to be needed) we changed his from R12 to R134

what do u mean how did i flush the lines.....? with a flush...im confused here by what u mean.
no, u don't have to remove the expansion valve to flush it
Old 03-30-10, 05:55 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

take it or leave it but my recommendation is to replace the drier/expansion valve while your in there.

this at a shop u can trust? ALOT of mechanics diagnose issues to be the compressor and ALOT of times it isnt. i always start out by cleaning the radiator, condenser with a coil cleaner to make ure it isnt clogged, then checking pressures (this is ONE of the most important steps) and then if needed to add or remove pulling a vacuum and flushing the lines. its a few extra steps that arent necessarily always needed but keep small issues from creeping back up

the denso one above looks ok, i would trust it before i would trust the 200 ebay ones

no it doesnt blow cold air just the air from the outside. they did all the things u mentioned but wen they wen to refill it they noticed the compressor was shot and it would not take anything in.
Old 03-30-10, 05:58 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speed3000g
Heres a remanufactured one on eBay but I'd check with other part stores to see the price difference.. I bought a remanned one on eBay ( Different seller than this one) and it turned out to be WEAK... so I had to buy a used oem one and pay labor TWICE.... Do it right the first time and save some of the headache i went through !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

Autozone has it for $900........ but it's built with Denso specific parts it says in the notes: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=52-0

This site looks Legit:: $578
http://www.lexuspartstore.com/catalo...11921+9270+773
i have a question... ive been online looking at some ac compressors but not all of them look the same but they say its for my car. whats your input on that. does it have to be identical or as long as it will work on my car i should be ok??

thanks for the info im gonna check it out and see which way works better for me.

Last edited by dannyg0990; 03-30-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 06:20 PM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannyg0990
but wen they wen to refill it they noticed the compressor was shot and it would not take anything in.
I'm HIGHLY skeptical... what makes them think 'it's shot'? what were the pressures? did they even jump the pressure switch to engage the compressor? was the compressor making any horrible noises? A thrashed compressor is usually REAL easy determine... sounds like a can of marbles in a paint shaker.... I'd be looking for a second opinion....
Old 03-31-10, 09:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

no it doesnt blow cold air just the air from the outside. they did all the things u mentioned but wen they wen to refill it they noticed the compressor was shot and it would not take anything in.
wondering how they noticed this...

Originally Posted by bmackinnon
I'm HIGHLY skeptical... what makes them think 'it's shot'? what were the pressures? did they even jump the pressure switch to engage the compressor? was the compressor making any horrible noises? A thrashed compressor is usually REAL easy determine... sounds like a can of marbles in a paint shaker.... I'd be looking for a second opinion....
sometimes....it isnt always a loud noise. it depends on what happened to the compressor

OP could they not rebuild yours?
Old 03-31-10, 04:29 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bmackinnon

well they showed me the machine hooked up and everything it they said it had no pressure and it wouldnt allow them to put any freon in. also the compressor runs it makes no wierd noises or anything. im gonna take ur advice and take it to another shop.

wondering how they noticed this...

sometimes....it isnt always a loud noise. it depends on what happened to the compressor

OP could they not rebuild yours?
they did not say anything about that. how much do you think that would run me??
Old 04-01-10, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well they showed me the machine hooked up and everything it they said it had no pressure and it wouldnt allow them to put any freon in. also the compressor runs it makes no wierd noises or anything. im gonna take ur advice and take it to another shop.

they did not say anything about that. how much do you think that would run me??
what had no pressure? REGARDLESS if the compressor was working the lines should still read pressures. im with him, go to another shop

dunno, never rebuilt one. i know they make rebuild kits though, dunno if they cost efficient or not though
Old 04-01-10, 10:18 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

what had no pressure? REGARDLESS if the compressor was working the lines should still read pressures. im with him, go to another shop

dunno, never rebuilt one. i know they make rebuild kits though, dunno if they cost efficient or not though
yea im def gonna do that.. ill let you guys know wat they tell me ima take it to a shop this weekend.. thanks again.