GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Knock Sensor / Gasket Question - Need Help

Old 03-28-10, 11:59 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Knock Sensor / Gasket Question - Need Help

Hi all

I am halfway through a starter DIY on my GS400. I've encountered two problems I am hoping you can help me with.

1) I've managed to break one of the two knock sensors (pics 1 and 2). I've broken the securing mechanism (locking clip) on the connector from the cabling to the ECU and I've also managed to break the plastic connector of the knock sensor itself (the bit that screws into the engine block).
So I have two problems on one sensor. For the connector on the cabling, what can I do? Can I use a glue to secure the sensor (high temp location)? What would you do?

For the knock sensor itself, I figure I have to buy the sensor itself. Can I buy at Toyota if Lexus gets greedy? Am I right? Also I really don't want to dig into the manifold again. Are knock sensors common failure items on the GS400? Would buying aftermarket (kragen) be a bad idea?
How do I get the sensor off (what size metric wrench do I need)?

2) I've managed to damage the gaskets on the coolant bridge that you remove to get to the starter (pic 3). Any idea what you call this part of the engine or do you have a part number?

Any help appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bad on Left.pdf (39.0 KB, 432 views)
Broken clip - Knock sensor.pdf (21.3 KB, 412 views)
Coolant bridge gasket.pdf (42.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 03-29-10, 12:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

cant get pics to view.....? anyone else not get images to open?

OP r u mechanically inclined? if u cant do some things u might wanna let someone with the skills do it before u break even more things and cause yourself bigger problems
Old 03-29-10, 01:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd suggest you get a new clip/connector piece for the harness. Then solder the new connector onto the harness. If you really can't find a replacement connector, then use a high strength plastic epoxy to repair the connector(do not use superglue, the bond will fail or crack over time due to the heat and vibration of the engine). The last thing you want is the knock sensor not operating properly. For a replacement knock sensor, I might have an extra one...I have to double check. You can order it from Toyota if you give them the part number. Order it from Carson Toyota over there in California, they sell parts to CL members close to employee cost. It's still not cheap at around $160-180 or so I think.

Getting one from Kragen,Autozone,NAPA,etc is fine. Just make sure the connector on the harness is fixed first or else you will have a check engine light on all the time, and possible detonation or knock if you get a batch of bad fuel.
Old 03-29-10, 06:26 AM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ditto. Solid advice.