GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Will an aftermarket car alarm and keyless entry fix door locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 09:39 PM
arnelabano
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an aftermarket car alarm and keyless entry fix door locks

my door locks are showing some strange behavior. Locks will sometimes work and not work. They definitely all unlock when I turn off the car. However, pushing the lock button on the door or remote is not always successful on unlocking or locking. I was wondering if I installed an after market car alarm with keyless entry.....will this fix that problem?
Old 03-11-10, 09:42 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be hooked up to the same actuator, so I'm only guessing that the issue won't go away with a different alarm system...However you can wait a bit and see who else chimes in on this question and then go from there.
Old 03-11-10, 09:50 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It won't solve the problem as mentioned. Do a search for "door lock actuator."
Old 03-12-10, 07:26 AM
arnelabano
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the DIY on the actuator and it looked pretty involved. Has anyone had this fixed by dealer or shop and know how much "ball park" it will cost?
Old 03-12-10, 07:43 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnelabano
I saw the DIY on the actuator and it looked pretty involved. Has anyone had this fixed by dealer or shop and know how much "ball park" it will cost?
an aftermarket alarm wont fix the actuator problem at all, the alarm just sends the same signal to lock/unlock your doors that your remote does, it doesn't replace the parts...

the motors CAN be repaired and do provide a cheap fix, even though sometimes its temporary because other parts wearing on the actuator assembly are what cause the motor to burn out...so its bound to happen again if you dont go with replacing the whole unit..

if you DO buy the whole actuator assembly, one of the most reasonable prices you're going to find is from a forum sponsor of ours (Carson Toyota) and its still a couple hundred bucks, plus install if you're not brave enough to do it yourself.

if you can, find one used for as cheap as possible in good working condition. its a gamble regardless.. lexus never recalled these even those they've been failing in gs's since 98 and still do right up through the 05 model in all trim levels...which means even if you do buy that brand new one for whatever couple hundred bucks it is, it still has a chance to break just as much as the next used one because the design wasn't ever changed.

ive heard there's a different actuator setup or motor that's "stronger" that you can swap in from a different toyota and the parts match up..but i dont have any info on it, try a search.