GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Can I replace the rear wheel bearing and keep my old hub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 02:41 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I replace the rear wheel bearing and keep my old hub?

Here's the deal, I need to replace my rear wheel bearings and knuckle assemblies. Once I get the hubs pressed out of the old knuckle/bearing, can I reuse them?? I am having a difficult time getting an answer (no response in the suspension forum) Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-10, 03:18 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I was told that it would need to be replaced by a mechanic that did mine
Old 03-02-10, 03:47 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest asking the lexus dealership parts dept if they even sell the knuckle/bearings separately. If they do, I'd replace them.
Old 03-02-10, 05:49 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHML
I suggest asking the lexus dealership parts dept if they even sell the knuckle/bearings separately. If they do, I'd replace them.
yes, this is the problem:

I am doing a rear suspension refresh and need to address the knuckle bushings at the lower control arm. You cannot buy the bushings by themselves anywhere.. so I am going to take one for the team and get new oem knuckles on either side. The knuckle does not include the wheel bearing. The knuckle, wheel bearing, and hub assembly are all pressed together (all three pieces sold separately). My wheel bearings are not bad, but they will get trashed if I try to separate them from the old knuckle to put in the new one, so I know for sure I need new bearings. The hub however, should somewhat easily separate from the wheel bearing. I cannot find a definitive answer why it should or should not be replaced.....
Old 03-03-10, 06:26 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You do not need to replace the hub, unless you left it way too long... One dealer tried to tell me that I needed a new hub, and I had only been hearing the hum for about 2 weeks. I took it to a different Lexus dealer and they replaced the bearing and re-used the hub, no issues.

Think of it like your breaks, do you need to replace the rotor every time you replace your pads? no - unless you always grind the pads right down to the rivets.

Just tell them to re-use the hubs, 90% of the time they are fine.
Old 03-03-10, 08:11 AM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for bearing yes you can replace them and keep the old hub but it will be hard to replace them. once bearing is into the hub. you can't remove them without damaging the bearing. so becareful if you have to do it.
Old 03-03-10, 03:32 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hacker_720
You do not need to replace the hub, unless you left it way too long... One dealer tried to tell me that I needed a new hub, and I had only been hearing the hum for about 2 weeks. I took it to a different Lexus dealer and they replaced the bearing and re-used the hub, no issues.

Think of it like your breaks, do you need to replace the rotor every time you replace your pads? no - unless you always grind the pads right down to the rivets.

per my previous post, the wheel bearings are fine. I'm in this situation because I need to replace the knuckle. Thanks for the input, since I did not have any bearing issues, I bet the hubs are fine too
Old 03-03-10, 04:40 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hacker_720

I'm probably too late with this but I wanted to say that I'm with Hacker on this.

I recently was in a similar situation, but for me I needed a new bearing.
I removed the knuckle and hub assembly myself, had to buy a bearing (timkin) and then my local dealer pressed out the hub from the knuckle, then the bearing from the hub and we re-used the old hub for re-assembly.

No problems at all.
Old 03-03-10, 06:17 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
I'm probably too late with this but I wanted to say that I'm with Hacker on this.

I recently was in a similar situation, but for me I needed a new bearing.
I removed the knuckle and hub assembly myself, had to buy a bearing (timkin) and then my local dealer pressed out the hub from the knuckle, then the bearing from the hub and we re-used the old hub for re-assembly.

No problems at all.
sweeeet!!!

I'm going to plan on reusing my old hubs unless something wierd happens. Thanks!
Old 03-03-10, 09:38 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only if it is worn which you can tell right away mine is bad i am looking for one right now tough finding the rear hub...
Old 03-04-10, 02:16 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tom steele
only if it is worn which you can tell right away mine is bad i am looking for one right now tough finding the rear hub...
couple hundred bucks from carson......