GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Picture Request: Rota Grid or TE37s on a 2GS3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 08:22 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well you seem like you're defending Rota so you've pretty much made up your mind so this thread is pretty much pointless now.... GL
Old 02-24-10, 11:00 AM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is all I have to say about Rota

Old 02-24-10, 03:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by duckJAI
well i'm not making a pure race car, just something fun.

as for the rotas breaking off on the spokes, read around the forums and find the truth about them, because it was actually the user of the wheels that made it break off.

the person smashed into a curb going 30-50mph and that's why it broke, i rather have my wheel break then my suspension pieces.

as for the other pictures like the warped wheel, the caliper was to blame since it was loose and you could see the markings on the other side that warped the spokes because of the caliper getting stuck between the spokes.

lots of pictures out there i've all seen, but you gotta look more into it.
ty for the clarification

It's difficult to not think about that when purchasing rotas. I didn't go into detail reading up the story behind the warped or broken wheels. From a manufacturers perspective, I know those examples were only a handful of instances compared to the tens of thousands of wheels that Rota produces.
Old 02-25-10, 06:36 AM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 4 pictures above are probably the most common pictures you can find on google, but look at how many people rock Rota. TONS of subbie guys do and honda etc etc.

If I had Enkie or even TE37s for that matter and they broke, would I post it all over the net to show the world I wasted 3g on a set of rims that broke? Probably not.

The thousands of people who own Rota and about 4-5 pictures that are floating around the net doesn't show any justice since so many people have them and you only see a few floating around. Plus the fact those 4-5 pictures also have another story describing how they broke and probably 1/2 of them are by user error.

I'm not saying Rota is the best company, but they are pretty good for bang for the buck. I don't believe in having 3g on rims where I can put that towards an engine swap or turbo goodies.
Old 02-25-10, 08:03 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by iNS0MNiAC
this is all I have to say about Rota

Jesus Monkeyhumping Christ. Any wheel will break if you slam it into a curb at 60mph. My buddy auto-xs his 380whp 4000lb GTO w/ coilovers on Rotas and drives with them on the street HARD.

I can show you pictures of high end forged wheels breaking like that too. That does not mean they FAILED.
Old 02-25-10, 10:10 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

sure all wheels break.... the thing is some wheels have a hirer rate of failure than others..... and yes, ive had Rota's crack on me from normal to mild agressive driving (no track). No i didn't post pictures online because like most people in this world I don't post everything that happens to me or my car. A few years ago I witnessed a Rota wheel break on front end impact at around 30mph head on collision into concrete barricade by a familiar name in the local drifting circuit, this happened literally 10-15 ft in front of me. One would think a front end collision shouldn't affect a wheel much... I too have been in a 40mph front end collision and luckily was ok and aside from body and frame work, i had a minor bend in the front wheel....

In Rota's defense I know they admitted they had a bad batch w/ high rate of failure during their 2002 wheel batch which they were willing to replace for people... all that aside.... I'm a firm believer that if you're gonna track your car you should stick to forged wheels from manufactures that have testing information readily available. Rota's have their place in the world for certain buyers but the originator of this thread was interested in #1 looks #2 track usage.... now in the looks dept, Rota's are replica's which by principal I am against so we all know where I stand there..... for track, i just don't recommend... lets just say it isn't my 1st choice of wheel.
Old 02-25-10, 01:29 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS

sure all wheels break.... the thing is some wheels have a hirer rate of failure than others..... and yes, ive had Rota's crack on me from normal to mild agressive driving (no track). No i didn't post pictures online because like most people in this world I don't post everything that happens to me or my car. A few years ago I witnessed a Rota wheel break on front end impact at around 30mph head on collision into concrete barricade by a familiar name in the local drifting circuit, this happened literally 10-15 ft in front of me. One would think a front end collision shouldn't affect a wheel much... I too have been in a 40mph front end collision and luckily was ok and aside from body and frame work, i had a minor bend in the front wheel....

In Rota's defense I know they admitted they had a bad batch w/ high rate of failure during their 2002 wheel batch which they were willing to replace for people... all that aside.... I'm a firm believer that if you're gonna track your car you should stick to forged wheels from manufactures that have testing information readily available. Rota's have their place in the world for certain buyers but the originator of this thread was interested in #1 looks #2 track usage.... now in the looks dept, Rota's are replica's which by principal I am against so we all know where I stand there..... for track, i just don't recommend... lets just say it isn't my 1st choice of wheel.

Testing information? Really? So having JWL cast into the wheel is just decorative? Good to know.

Old 02-27-10, 07:06 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
Testing information? Really? So having JWL cast into the wheel is just decorative? Good to know.

I never said JWL is decorative but I like how you took everything I posted and decided to hawk on that one point. Besides I really could care less if a wheel has JWL stamped on it. The JWL mark can be displayed on any wheel that has passed a set standard through a self-certification system.

The VIA mark is a series of tests conducted by a third party entity called the Vehicle Inspection Association and verifies a product meets the true JWL standard. Once passed through rigorous quality and strength verification tests, it shall bear both JWL and VIA marks. The JWL is meaningless to me unless its coupled w/ VIA and verified w/ documentation so I know it just wasn't stamped on to sell more units over ebay.

My understanding is that since Rota's manufacturing provides some wheels for some OE manufacturers in Asia so they do have JWL and VIA but not sure on all wheels. Because of this and the fact they don't have JAWA sticker w/ serial number makes it hard for me to be sold. Again my understanding is that JAWA probably won't accept Rota's application because their wheel is too similar of a replica to other manufacturers which is against JAWA design protection system.

If I were to say be serious into track performance and abuse... Yes I'd like published testing information because a 19x9 wheel may not contain same test results as a 17x10.5 wheel. Again like I said.... nothing wrong' w/ em... I've owned wheels that didn't have JWL/VIA certs... pending on the usage sometimes it doesn't matter. When it comes to the track... better safe than sorry.
Old 02-27-10, 07:17 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

btw... just because a wheel is JWL/VIA certified doesn't mean they are fit for track usage. Practically all wheels that are imported carry JWL/VIA/or DOT certs or else the Ministry of Transportation wouldn't allow the imports.

if you're going to talk about quality then please provide legitimate engineering specifications vs. acceptable tolerances as those are the #'s that matter on track usage and when referring to quality. And just so you know I dont represent any company or brand..... Just clearing up some word play that has annoyed me in the past.
Old 02-27-10, 07:35 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
btw... just because a wheel is JWL/VIA certified doesn't mean they are fit for track usage. Practically all wheels that are imported carry JWL/VIA/or DOT certs or else the Ministry of Transportation wouldn't allow the imports.

if you're going to talk about quality then please provide legitimate engineering specifications vs. acceptable tolerances as those are the #'s that matter on track usage and when referring to quality. And just so you know I dont represent any company or brand..... Just clearing up some word play that has annoyed me in the past.
JWL is a joke. a self assured standard set that was set how many decades ago when tire technology was primitive compared to todays standard?
Old 02-27-10, 07:36 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awd_pwnz
^^^ quit the ignorance..theres plenty of race/track cars running rotas. its wheels.. not rocket science..

i know i know.. fake this! fake that! but this statement is just retarded.

anyways. to the OP.. just save up for te's you will not regret it.
says the guy running like 10" wide work wheels lol.
but yes, save up for real TEs. I think in this issue or last months issue of VIP CAR (might have been VIP STyle) there is a silver 2GS with TE37s. looked nice actually.
Old 02-27-10, 07:54 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
JWL is a joke. a self assured standard set that was set how many decades ago when tire technology was primitive compared to todays standard?
don't go to the evo forums telling them that.... they view JWL/VIA higher than ISO/SAE or TUV. Truth is any wheel that comes out of Asia probably has JWL. Some tests are just better updated. Rays Engineering utilizes JWL+R which is twice as strong, in todays world... we ride bigger wheels for longer amounts of mileage and the testing phase had to be progressed, so kudos to them!

Last edited by UptownGS; 02-27-10 at 08:04 PM.