GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 12:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gennady7
What are the part numbers for the 300?
I believe the fuel pump setup is the same on all 01-05.

98-00 are slightly different, and 06+ are completely different.
Old 03-18-11, 12:08 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
No.

1) I Lost pressure for the first time around because I had a broken O-ring inside there. I split it when I was reassembling the unit (or rather the guy that did it for me split it)

2) The rings are not the same! Yes, they are the same thickness, but they are not the same diameter. So yes, if you're using a smaller diameter ring, then the drop in method will not work properly. If you stretch it over the port and then press into the fuel filter tube, that will work, but it wont hold pressure properly. If this is what you are using, I suggest you let your car sit overnight and feel the pressure in the morning. It should still retain a decent amount of pressure. When I was using this smaller ring, my car was loosing pressure immediately after shut down. I agree with you, it was probably because I didn't install it the proper way, but if I had the proper ring to begin with, there's almost no way for it not to be seated properly no matter which way you do it.

3) When I finally found the proper ring, I installed it the "incorrect way" and everything works fine. My car retains fuel pressure even overnight.

In the picture below, from left to right, you can see the ring that you are talking about, the original ring (split) and a replacement that I have found.

Sounds good.
But I don't agree with you claim it won't hold pressure properly if installed on the port? Did you personally test it? Because I did, and it holds fine.

Even if the interior diameter is slightly different laying on the table; after being installed on the port, the thickness holds and you get a good seal-the exterior diameter expands too. When attaching on the filter body it was quite snug and providing quite some friction to twist the two together. It doesn't come apart from gravity if you hold it by 1 end or even by shaking the pair.

If anything I'd claim the other o-rings you got might be too "loose" and not snug enough, if the semi-random force from the filter housing clips was enough to pop the o-ring up onto the port instead of the directed install effort.

But actually, it's just probably being compressed to some degree, compared with the Toyota o-ring being stretched to some degree.
Old 03-18-11, 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng
Sounds good.
But I don't agree with you claim it won't hold pressure properly if installed on the port? Did you personally test it? Because I did, and it holds fine.
Yes I have, but it was two years ago, and if my memory serves me right, it was much better than the split ring, it still wasn't 100%.

Even if the interior diameter is slightly different laying on the table; after being installed on the port, the thickness holds and you get a good seal-the exterior diameter expands too. When attaching on the filter body it was quite snug and providing quite some friction to twist the two together. It doesn't come apart from gravity if you hold it by 1 end or even by shaking the pair.
When you stretching it over the port, it does indeed loose a bit of thickness from being stretched. Probably not enough to be noticeable by eye, but when it comes to holding 55psi of pressure, it does make a difference.

If anything I'd claim the other o-rings you got might be too "loose" and not snug enough, if the semi-random force from the filter housing clips was enough to pop the o-ring up onto the port instead of the directed install effort.
No. The replacement ring that I found is exactly the same size as the original ring that was in there. There is a reason why Lexus made different size rings for that port vs fuel pump and pressure regulator.

And no, they aren't stretched over time either. I have the old rings from the old regulator and pump, they haven't stretched at all.

Like I said, our cars need to sustain 55psi at load, and still retain pressure even overnight after the car is shut down.
Old 03-18-11, 02:51 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

cool Och,

thanks for the informative info. Whatever I have now seems to be holding up for me, and hopefully lasts as long as I keep the car; otherwise a complete new fuelpump assembly will be needed.

But for someone else doing this procedure in the future, hopefully the discussion is useful to them to do the procedure as smoothly as possible learning from our experiences.
Old 03-18-11, 03:53 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=
help me out here....what is the little white "sock" and what does it do?[/QUOTE]

i think he talking about the screen filter..
Old 03-18-11, 05:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

cool Och,

thanks for the informative info. Whatever I have now seems to be holding up for me, and hopefully lasts as long as I keep the car; otherwise a complete new fuelpump assembly will be needed.

But for someone else doing this procedure in the future, hopefully the discussion is useful to them to do the procedure as smoothly as possible learning from our experiences.
Exactly.

If you do however run into problems, call that guy from the o-ring company, he'll send you free sample that you can use. See the info in the pic I posted before.
Old 06-28-11, 06:21 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
well bringing this back up FINALLY did mine about 3 weeks ago.....just now getting to the pics

did a semi DIY...its VERY simple to do, only reason my DIY isnt complete is i had gas all over and i will explain why in a second.

well this is what the cover looks like when removed and the plug pulled (unclipped) out of the fuel filter. you can see the plug in the left side of the picture

if u wiped this are clean (all that is road dirt/grime) where you see my YELLOW ARROW you would see a yellow clip, you will slide forward (towards the passenger side) to remove the fuel line from the car (i used a small flathead and scooted the clip forward) then when you remove the fuel line (just pull upward it is kinda stuck but it does come) you will figure out REALLY quickly this line is pressurized and i squirted ALOT of gasoline onto my concrete as it sprayed down and out the hole also the RED ARROWS are the screws you need to undo, to get the fuel filter out of the car.

this is step i was missing when i did my fuel filter

this YELLOW ARROW shows the pressurized fuel line, unclip this connecter and slide the fuel line down off the assembly (remember its pressurized so it will shoot gas out of it) so either have a glass jar or a bottle nearby when doing this or just let it drop back into the gas tank....i dont remember what i did

this is what the fuel filter assy looks like when you clean it up, upper right part is where fuel line connects along with the yellow clip

CLOSE UP

old fuel filter assyl with old sock next to new fuel filter

To remove the old assy you will see clips all around the old one, simply unclip them. here are some by the arrows

i missed a few steps in here as i had gas every where on the cement from the fuel line and it stank and i was in a hurry

next the fuel pump with dirty sock compared to the clean sock

new fuel filter with new sock attached to old assy

reinstall in reverse....honestly REALLY simple to do

now the aftermath photos

old one cut in half

one side of it

removed from assy

mine was REALLY dirty and i dont even have 120k on my car yet lol. even with my dynamat in the car on my last tank of gas i got 18.9 in the city WITH my full interior installed and all my audio equipment in and i was still kinda ******* it since i put my greddy exhaust on
Brought this back from the dead...nice write up. I will search to see how to take out the back seat and do this. I've never seen a fuel filter look like this. I thought this was actually the fuel pump at first sight. Most fuel filters are just the typical can filter with a inlet and outlet spout. The filter is kind of expensive too...didn't expect it to be around $50.
Old 08-25-11, 12:42 AM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you think its safe to change the filter out in this houston 104-116 heat? lol
Old 08-25-11, 12:52 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Brought this back from the dead...nice write up. I will search to see how to take out the back seat and do this. I've never seen a fuel filter look like this. I thought this was actually the fuel pump at first sight. Most fuel filters are just the typical can filter with a inlet and outlet spout. The filter is kind of expensive too...didn't expect it to be around $50.
Did you feel any improvements after the fuel filter change? How many MPG did you gained?
Old 08-25-11, 03:57 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dinhNER
you think its safe to change the filter out in this houston 104-116 heat? lol
haha its safe. your engine's combustion chamber is much hotter than 104 degrees

Just youll be sweating a lot.
Old 03-02-15, 03:55 PM
LeoLex126
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please!!!!

I recently purchased a 98 Lexus GS300, that needs some work. It didnt have a fuel pump, just the assembly. Just installed the fuel pump but not sure where this one wire goes.
Attached Thumbnails Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter-20150302_185438.jpg  
Old 02-12-17, 08:02 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I cut mine open today, yup, just about that bad, 274135 miles.

Originally Posted by Eric00GS3
So I decided to saw the filter in two. And look what I found.
Old 02-12-17, 09:23 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

unbelievable more then 130 post from the title
Old 02-12-17, 09:41 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That is nothing...Follow my 454 Truck thread.....

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/f...-vortec-owners

Originally Posted by lextout
unbelievable more then 130 post from the title
Old 07-22-20, 05:43 PM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Anybody have service manual pdf for this procedure?

Quick Reply: Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter