GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter

Old 03-31-10, 09:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The white sock is just a pre-filter. Keeps the big stuff out. It's a coarse filter, maybe like 50-100micron or so. The big internal one is the one that actually does the real work. I think that one gets it down to around 2-5microns or so.

Also, if you have no luck with Carson Toyota. You can also try the Toyota dealer in Houston, TX. They're called champion Toyota and they give the same discounts as carson.
FYI: For either Carson or Champion. If the part you're trying to order is shared with a Toyota. You will save a few bucks if you search the part number as a Toyota instead of a Lexus
thanks jeff, i will try that. when i get back to work, i will be PM'ing you. i need a few things, maybe one u can make

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
got both new from my local dealer for 45 bucks next day
nice...u must have a GOOD discount as the filter is like 30 and another 5 for the pre filter and those prices are other dealership prices. my local toyota wants 45 just for the big filter
Old 04-11-10, 10:40 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question on O-Ring... will these work? 7.99 for these

http://skycraftsurplus.com/quality40...ssortment.aspx

Old 04-12-10, 07:33 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Question on O-Ring... will these work? 7.99 for these

http://skycraftsurplus.com/quality40...ssortment.aspx

One of those might. Och went through a lot to find the exact. I think he might have measurements.
Old 04-12-10, 08:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell no, none of these will work. I went through hell to find the right O-Ring (actually i got five of them, and still have 3 saved up just in case).

I don't remember the measurements now unfortunately, but look in my old thread, I might have posted them.
Old 04-12-10, 08:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Actually I found them, M3.5x10, and it needs to be made out of rubber that is not affected by petrol. Most radiator/air o-rings will not do. The ones that I found are viton, they are petrol resistant.
Old 04-12-10, 09:19 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Och, nearly 7k posts.
Old 04-12-10, 10:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

^^^

Thats what happens when you use an actual computer, not a freaking i-phone to browse the internet
Old 04-12-10, 12:06 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Actually I found them, M3.5x10, and it needs to be made out of rubber that is not affected by petrol. Most radiator/air o-rings will not do. The ones that I found are viton, they are petrol resistant.

wow, it is difficult to find. I've found 3mm X 10 so far but not 3.5mm
Old 04-12-10, 01:38 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good write up and good pictures. thanks.
Old 06-08-10, 12:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well bringing this back up FINALLY did mine about 3 weeks ago.....just now getting to the pics

did a semi DIY...its VERY simple to do, only reason my DIY isnt complete is i had gas all over and i will explain why in a second.

well this is what the cover looks like when removed and the plug pulled (unclipped) out of the fuel filter. you can see the plug in the left side of the picture

Name:  FuelFilterCoverRemoved.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  101.0 KB

if u wiped this are clean (all that is road dirt/grime) where you see my YELLOW ARROW you would see a yellow clip, you will slide forward (towards the passenger side) to remove the fuel line from the car (i used a small flathead and scooted the clip forward) then when you remove the fuel line (just pull upward it is kinda stuck but it does come) you will figure out REALLY quickly this line is pressurized and i squirted ALOT of gasoline onto my concrete as it sprayed down and out the hole also the RED ARROWS are the screws you need to undo, to get the fuel filter out of the car.

Name:  FuelFilterClipWithArrows.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  120.5 KB

this is step i was missing when i did my fuel filter

this YELLOW ARROW shows the pressurized fuel line, unclip this connecter and slide the fuel line down off the assembly (remember its pressurized so it will shoot gas out of it) so either have a glass jar or a bottle nearby when doing this or just let it drop back into the gas tank....i dont remember what i did

Name:  FuelFilterWithArrow.jpg
Views: 3494
Size:  70.2 KB

this is what the fuel filter assy looks like when you clean it up, upper right part is where fuel line connects along with the yellow clip

Name:  TopOfFuelFilter.jpg
Views: 3418
Size:  47.1 KB

CLOSE UP

Name:  TopOfFuelFilterCloseUp.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  39.1 KB

old fuel filter assyl with old sock next to new fuel filter

Name:  OldFuelFilterAndNewOneSideBySide.jpg
Views: 3771
Size:  82.3 KB

To remove the old assy you will see clips all around the old one, simply unclip them. here are some by the arrows

Name:  OldFuelFilterAndNewOneSideBySideWit.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  83.7 KB

i missed a few steps in here as i had gas every where on the cement from the fuel line and it stank and i was in a hurry

next the fuel pump with dirty sock compared to the clean sock

Name:  FuelPumpWithPreFilterNextToNewPreFi.jpg
Views: 4063
Size:  63.1 KB

new fuel filter with new sock attached to old assy

Name:  NewFuelFilterWithOldHousing.jpg
Views: 3556
Size:  68.8 KB

reinstall in reverse....honestly REALLY simple to do

now the aftermath photos

old one cut in half

Name:  OldFuelFilterHousingCutOpen.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  62.3 KB

one side of it

Name:  FuelFilterHousingCutAway.jpg
Views: 3417
Size:  59.4 KB

removed from assy

Name:  InternalsOfFuelFilter.jpg
Views: 3416
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  FuelFilterInternalsCutAway.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  MiddleOfCutAwayFuelFilter.jpg
Views: 3407
Size:  76.1 KB

mine was REALLY dirty and i dont even have 120k on my car yet lol. even with my dynamat in the car on my last tank of gas i got 18.9 in the city WITH my full interior installed and all my audio equipment in and i was still kinda ******* it since i put my greddy exhaust on

Last edited by sakataj; 12-24-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 12:36 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Did you had any issues with the o ring? I guess not since everything is okay, but did you had to hassle with it at all? So is it really dirty or the medium is made like that?
Old 06-08-10, 01:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Did you had any issues with the o ring? I guess not since everything is okay, but did you had to hassle with it at all? So is it really dirty or the medium is made like that?
no sam, no o-ring issues like och had. well compared to the other filters the other guys show, i would say mine is REALLY dirty....not quite as dirty as the OP's but not half as clean as ivnnln was. the new medium is white wonder for how long though
Old 06-08-10, 08:46 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
no sam, no o-ring issues like och had. well compared to the other filters the other guys show, i would say mine is REALLY dirty....not quite as dirty as the OP's but not half as clean as ivnnln was. the new medium is white wonder for how long though

cool. It looks like I will finally replace the filter. Got the parts just sitting around. Looks simple...thanks for the pic.
Old 06-08-10, 10:15 AM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like something I need to do. 01 w/ 174 on the clock and I hightly doubt this has been changed. Can someone take a picture or post directions on how to get to the fuel filter? I see how to change it once it's out, but I'm not even sure I would know where to start. (obviously near/in the tank, but something more specific would be nice)
Old 06-08-10, 10:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

cool. It looks like I will finally replace the filter. Got the parts just sitting around. Looks simple...thanks for the pic.
welcome sir, i had mine laying around for months. finally one day i got motivated....i promise it REALLY is simple. you'll see....

Originally Posted by matt21484
This sounds like something I need to do. 01 w/ 174 on the clock and I hightly doubt this has been changed. Can someone take a picture or post directions on how to get to the fuel filter? I see how to change it once it's out, but I'm not even sure I would know where to start. (obviously near/in the tank, but something more specific would be nice)
wow lotta miles...just have to remove rear seat. its under drivers side rear seat....search for directions to remove the seat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter