GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Latest Nav Modification

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 11:55 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts
Default My Latest Nav Modification

well some of u know if you read my old posts i am using a GEN 4 nav ecu on my 2001 gs430 after having a nav ecu fry on me (the gen 2/3 really sucks) if u don't know and wanna find out.....read this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...direction.html

well i had a member from here (he shall remain nameless till he wishes to come stop in; Should be soon though he's a uber nice fellow) i helped walk through doing the same. essentially just walking him through the info i knew first hand and we both talked bout how on the gen 4/5 units u lose the ability to override the dvd once u upgrade past a 5.1 disc and both hated that.well anyways he got in touch with a company (i have to be careful bout this post after getting my last one on my engine cover closed but dave said i could post their name so here it is) named Prestigious Society. They easy to find if you resourceful but thats all the help u getting from me

anyways they made a plug and play nav override unit custom for myself and the other person. (they actually well known for making overrides for newer model lexus/toyota's) anyways i wont post the price as i was given a hookup for helping the other member out (and im grateful for his return hook up on this)

long story short while im in motion now, i can enter in address's and destinations etc etc. this will work for ANY 2nd Gen GS with a Gen 4/5 ecu so you 2001+ guys this is for you'll

was really a easy DIY.
3 page instructions with pictures included, plugs from nav headunit unplug and plug into a box they supply for you and you run a supplied power cord from the headunit to the nav ecu which also has a plug that you unplug from nav ecu and plug into another provided box. hell they even supply the double sided mounting tabs to hold the units up

hardest part of doing this was running the orange power wire from the nav ecu to the headunit. luckily i still dont have my rear interior re-installed (im slacking i know) so i decided to run it straight from the headunit up the center console,under the carpet and straight to the nav ecu instead of through the glovebox and under the door sills as they recommended. just had to undo passenger seat and pull part of the rear carpet to run a hanger underneath to pull the wire loom

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THEY ADVICE YOU TO RUN IT THROUGH THE GLOVEBOX AND THE DOOR SILLS, IT WAS EASIER FOR ME TO RUN IT STRAIGHT SINCE I HAVE HALF MY INTERIOR ALREADY REMOVED

Directions

Supplied Parts

Carpet Fixing To Be Pulled

And Pulled

Slid Coat Hanger Up

Nav Ecu UnScrewed

Nav Ecu UnScrewed And Carpet Lining Pulled

Prestigous Society Box Connected To Oem Nav Ecu

Last edited by sakataj; 02-24-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 11:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Trunk OverRide Box Mounted

So I Started in the trunk as you can see and worked my way forward. At This Point i wrapped the orange power cord around a wire loom and tapped it to the hanger and pulled the hanger forward while someone lifted the carpet so it would flow freely

Running Next To The Passenger Seat Under Where The Center Console Is

Since I Didnt Run It Through The Glovebox And Sill I Had Tons Of Wire Left Over Both In The Trunk And In The Front So I Eventually Wrapped Them And Ziptied Them

Front Nav Override Connected

All Plugged Up Almost Ready To Mount

All Cleaned Up And Mounted On Back Of Headunit

I Made 2 Videos On Showing You How It Works Before StartUp And One While In Motion

Startup

In Motion

oh yeah i forgot to mention this same "remote" has a feature for tv so you can watch dvd's or tv or a rear view camera while your in motion also. i will be using this soon.....as you guys have heard before when i finish my audio build but as you can slowly tell. im wrapping up many of my projects and actually heading towards a finish

enjoy guys

Last edited by sakataj; 02-18-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 05:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great write up.. This should help others out nicely
Old 02-18-10, 08:52 AM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, i wish you were local so you can work on my car )
Old 02-18-10, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Great write up.. This should help others out nicely
IF they have this override, yes it will help them but if not its just showing you a available option. this is how the lexus shoulda come from the factory and i understand safety and all but why can my passenger not add directions while i drive? its lame........

Originally Posted by aristo2369
man, i wish you were local so you can work on my car )
i would love to alex, although looking your nice car it doesnt look like you need my help. im kinda backwards to most people as they do rims,suspension body first, i do where i spend all my time....the interior, then suspension,rims,etc.
if you look through all the posts i have made, i think there is barely one place i havent touched on my car yet.....maybe my motor but that will change soon
Old 02-26-10, 05:59 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what part of the install is that black composite plastic tool on the seat used for? lol.
Old 02-26-10, 06:17 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

upstate, you crazy hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
Old 02-26-10, 06:39 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive

looks like someone needs a trigicon night sight upgrade next... always a useful piece of equipment for those otherwise impossible to deal with circumstances where only the "best" tool will do.
Old 02-26-10, 08:43 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice mod. My usual passengers (usually nieces and nephews) would love something like this.
Old 03-01-10, 09:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by upstateGS4

what part of the install is that black composite plastic tool on the seat used for? lol.
you should know what its for, being in NY....hehe. i tired to fly into NY with a checked gun a few years ago OMFG they are a pain in the *** to fly into with one. yeah THEY normally always on me and yeah i said they, i carry 2 atleast at all times :P

Originally Posted by excluesive
Originally Posted by upstateGS4

looks like someone needs a trigicon night sight upgrade next... always a useful piece of equipment for those otherwise impossible to deal with circumstances where only the "best" tool will do.
i know, been saying that for years that i need one. although, i used to have the lasermax laser site that was installed in the spring assy. and i loved that

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Nice mod. My usual passengers (usually nieces and nephews) would love something like this.
i know, i think thats how it shoulda been...if you have a passenger in you should be able to enter directions.

Last edited by sakataj; 03-01-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 12:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so im thinking bout flush mounting my remote for this into the wood console.the idea is similar to post # 15 but mine would be in the wood part

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lled-this.html

when i removed it to start this,i realized its not really gonna work unless i do it sideways in the middle behind the buttons (the side where i was gonna next to the power button has the tabs that hold the wood console in place) but my question is....has ANYONE ever drilled into the wood console without ruining it ie cracking/breaking/etc. i bought a spare 98-2000 center console from KI pod i was gonna do it on but i didnt realize it was gonna be so much lighter than my oem wood

so now i really only have the one good one to try it on and dont wanna mess it up. my main concern is really it cracking. someone on here has to have tried drilling into the oem wood console or seen it or anything. feedback please guys
Old 03-31-10, 03:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Unless you really care about the heated seats, I would put it in the hole where the passenger side heated seat button is on the console.
Old 04-01-10, 07:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Unless you really care about the heated seats, I would put it in the hole where the passenger side heated seat button is on the console.
i DO care bout the heated seats thomas, i intend on keeping all 4 of my buttons. i dont have a problem putting this in the wood, like i said im just concerned with IF it will crack or not being drilled into
Old 06-29-10, 01:03 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought I would bring this up since it is an older thread but has some relavent info .
Not sure if you know but its worth a try since I can;t find a thread with the info. with my 03 430 It has an ML non nav. If I bought the nav head I could then buy an antenna and ecu and it would work fine? Was All nav automatically ML as well?
thanks man,
Old 06-29-10, 01:27 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok so it needs a head to ecu harness , anything else you can think of ?

Quick Reply: My Latest Nav Modification