GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 05:59 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Possible Leak

Whenever we get heavy rains my car seems to go nuts... What I need from you guys are suggestions on where I can check to make sure it stays nice and dry. Maybe I'm missing a piece of rubber somewhere or something.

Here is a list of what happens every single time and the problems are ALWAYS the same there is no change to the list.

- door open indicator doesn't work
- memory seat buttons don't work
- seat belt indicator doesn't work
- Dome lights do not work
- Climate control displays some funky crap, lights up but doesn't
- speedo doesn't dim correctly
- Driver side front window is the ONLY one that works with the master switch. Passenger would have to open and close their window with their switch

Thats about all I can remember off the top of my head. After about a day or 2 everything starts working again.

I saw one other member had this issues but I have no clue if they resolved it. It was a pretty old post.
Old 02-09-10, 09:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
Whenever we get heavy rains my car seems to go nuts... What I need from you guys are suggestions on where I can check to make sure it stays nice and dry. Maybe I'm missing a piece of rubber somewhere or something.

Here is a list of what happens every single time and the problems are ALWAYS the same there is no change to the list.

- door open indicator doesn't work
- memory seat buttons don't work
- seat belt indicator doesn't work
- Dome lights do not work
- Climate control displays some funky crap, lights up but doesn't
- speedo doesn't dim correctly
- Driver side front window is the ONLY one that works with the master switch. Passenger would have to open and close their window with their switch

Thats about all I can remember off the top of my head. After about a day or 2 everything starts working again.

I saw one other member had this issues but I have no clue if they resolved it. It was a pretty old post.
wow i thought i was the ONLY one with this. until the other day some guy (i forgot his name) we exchanged emails and he had them also. your symptoms hit mine DIRECTLY except i have the nav so i dont have the climate control display like you have.

i mean to a T i have exactly what you have, i have found a solution to the seatbelt light though, if im driving i turn car off, unbuckle seatbelt, re-buckle and restart and it works fine.

i will tell you what i know about this from my car

something is getting wet either inside my door or under my hood thats for sure and we both know that but lets see if we have the same problems.

i have had my windshield replaced and my car was in a minor accident(before i bought the car so i know the windshield was replaced but i dont know what else) when i first got it, it had a water leak into the car from above the steering wheel (but again ONLY when i was in a pressurized car wash) so i siliconed it some and it doesn't drip anymore, my rain guards around my tires and my under engine splash cover got ripped off while on the interstate in Atlanta and its possible water is getting in from their but more and more im suspecting a incorrectly sealed windshield. i dont have water in my floor up front but the other day i noticed when i ran my nav override i had wet carpet in the passenger rear floor but ONLY under the carpet so im assuming this is a separate problem (im leading to believe the drain, dunno what its really called....those black circular holes another member recently replaced in his DIY for wind noise) under the car needs to be replaced if anyone knows what im talking about could you possibly link me to that post to? im gonna go ahead and change these

MINE only happens if i take it to a particular car wash (yes i know i shouldn't and now i def hand wash) or if it rains EXTREMELY hard, not just a normal rainfall.

if you roll the passenger windows down while its doing this they will "trip" and not work again till it dries out (dont think mine even work with their switches and since yours does this is starting to make me think its a door or some other ecu)

a few weeks ago mine werent working after the rain and the ice and i suspected the rain had frozen and whatever is doing this was frozen shut so i brought my car into my warehouse at work and let it thaw. At the end of the day eveyrthing worked fine. so i know when it dries its ok but its starting to concern me seriously

when i continue with my audio build and remove my door panels to dynamat my doors i will probe into the door and see if i notice anything....again im really wanting to replace my windshield but havent done so yet

anyone else with problems like us car to chime in?

Last edited by sakataj; 02-09-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 07:44 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought I was alone. haha.

I have noticed no leaks from the windshield. I will check to see how the carpet is when it happens again.

Yes I discovered the same trick with the seatbelt too.. LOL...

My CF hood does let some water in. I've been slowly trying to seal it off to eliminate that as a cause.

Let me know if you find anything in the door because I suspect that is where the problem is. Hopefully the weather will get warm soon so I can take a look into this deeper.

I have been on hold since my car needs the wheel hub changed and I haven't been driving it for the last few weeks.
Old 02-18-10, 10:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Curry
I thought I was alone. haha.

I have noticed no leaks from the windshield. I will check to see how the carpet is when it happens again.

Yes I discovered the same trick with the seatbelt too.. LOL...

My CF hood does let some water in. I've been slowly trying to seal it off to eliminate that as a cause.

Let me know if you find anything in the door because I suspect that is where the problem is. Hopefully the weather will get warm soon so I can take a look into this deeper.

I have been on hold since my car needs the wheel hub changed and I haven't been driving it for the last few weeks.
nah, u not alone. A semi noob had this problem also and we talked bout it via PM but i have since cleared my PM and i dont know his name and havent seen him pop in this post yet.

yeah im on hold too with the snow, my medical issues lately, and finishing my training for the MPD this weekend and next weekend plus my birthday BLAH. i need like 2 other people who can do my stuff and free me up
Old 02-18-10, 12:20 PM
AC430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and make sure their are no leaks from the drain in your sunroof and make sure the drains in your roof are not clogged.
Old 02-19-10, 04:47 AM
ydjy
Rookie

Seems like communication system failure. Probably a stripped wire.
Here's a little something about troubleshooting:
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_di_0803.pdf
So, if you want to know exactly what's going wrong you need to 1) get the car to fail, 2) scan error codes. To fix it you'll probably need to rip the whole interior apart :/
Old 02-19-10, 04:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AC430
Check and make sure their are no leaks from the drain in your sunroof and make sure the drains in your roof are not clogged.
lol its nothing like this, neither of us have a wet carpet

Originally Posted by ydjy
Seems like communication system failure. Probably a stripped wire.
Here's a little something about troubleshooting:
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_di_0803.pdf
So, if you want to know exactly what's going wrong you need to 1) get the car to fail, 2) scan error codes. To fix it you'll probably need to rip the whole interior apart :/

hmmmm so that trouble shooter is for the door ecu if i skimmed that correctly (yes i said skimmed)? if i had a door ecu "code" wouldn't it set off my regular ecu thus causing some kind of code on my dash? wouldnt think it would be a stripped wire though, i wouldnt think.

most of my interior has or will be torn apart and i know how to set this off actually.... i take mine through a car wash or let it sit outside in the heavy rain
Old 02-20-10, 03:18 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to seal the outside of the door window with some duct tape and hose it down real good or go through the car wash to see if that helps. The body #1 ECU is by your glove box on the kick panel. See if that shows signs of getting wet. Maybe try to duct tape different sections of your windshield and then wet down.
Old 02-23-10, 01:55 AM
ydjy
Rookie

this trouble shooter is for the communication between ecus: body ecu #1 & #2, all door ecus, memory seat, indicators, steering wheel memory, A/C and engine. As far as I know, no code is displayed on dash when this fails, however error codes are displayed via door open indicator. And no, you don't need an OBD scanner, a paper clip will be enough - see the link I posted before.
Just an idea: this could be any door wire harness, and I mean any of them. Have you checked the grommets?
Old 02-23-10, 10:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Try to seal the outside of the door window with some duct tape and hose it down real good or go through the car wash to see if that helps. The body #1 ECU is by your glove box on the kick panel. See if that shows signs of getting wet. Maybe try to duct tape different sections of your windshield and then wet down.
hmmmm....maybe will try this. i really dont wish to force this thing to happen

this trouble shooter is for the communication between ecus: body ecu #1 & #2, all door ecus, memory seat, indicators, steering wheel memory, A/C and engine. As far as I know, no code is displayed on dash when this fails, however error codes are displayed via door open indicator. And no, you don't need an OBD scanner, a paper clip will be enough - see the link I posted before.
Just an idea: this could be any door wire harness, and I mean any of them. Have you checked the grommets?
ok, gotcha. i really dread making it do it as im afraid one day this will be permanent problem. will keep it in mind next hard hard rain. no havent checked the grommets. no your correct no dash codes....will have to check bout the door ones

OP.....sounds promising?
Old 03-03-10, 10:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i forgot i made a post bout this awhile ago that never got me anywhere really

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...help-asap.html

also on here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...going-off.html

Last edited by sakataj; 03-16-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 03:14 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

These same symptoms are happening to my car as well. It's been raining quite heavily here.
Old 03-16-10, 03:06 AM
ydjy
Rookie

when you find out what it is, let us all know.
Old 03-16-10, 12:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
These same symptoms are happening to my car as well. It's been raining quite heavily here.
do u have the same issues as mine? windshield been replaced? ever had any front end damage?

when you find out what it is, let us all know.
im waiting on my dynamat to come in and i will be tearing into the doors this week, will let you know if i come up with anything
Old 03-16-10, 07:21 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Everything that Curry mentioned is what I experienced and it was heavy rain for last 4 days. Didn't start doing this until midway day 2. My car did substain some front end damage when it had 10K miles on it, which was 110K ago lol...Windsheild is factory glass, but don't know if it was replaced in that original collision with OEM. Everything is working perfectly fine today. Im going to dig into my panels on thursday. Is this ECU located in the passenger door? Im looking to insulate the ECU from the elements. Maybe even extend wires and relocate it into the glove. Whatever needs to be done. Im not going to spend 379 on a new computer to have it get wet again.

Quick Reply: Possible Leak