GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For All of those who Get the Dreaded CEL Flashing with Hesitation and Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:53 AM
r979234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post For All of those who Get the Dreaded CEL Flashing with Hesitation and Misfiring

A short While ago I was having issues with my 2000 GS300 having a very rough idle, misfiring, Throwing the CEL into Flash mode, then triggering the VSC and VSC off lights as well.

Well I was getting a little fed up with this issue, so I decided to go ahead and tear into the car myself to see if I could figure out the solution. I first took out the mass air flow sensor and cleaned it by following this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...makes.htmlwith with CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner which I picked up at my local Advanced Auto Parts store.
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?S=Y&PN=05110
I put it back in and there was no change, however I do recommend doing this. I had been reading several posts on the Oil control valve and if the filter gets clogged the VVT timing will become off and the car will run like garbage. So by following this thread -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...ve-filter.html
I took the filter out of the oil control valve and cleaned it with the CRC mass air flow cleaner. I let it dry then put it back in. You will need a 22mm spanner to get the bolt off. After you loosen the bolt which is located on the drivers side at the front of the valve cover and there is a plug that is connected to the top portion of the valve but not connected to the bolt that you need to take out. Once you have the bolt out there is a wire mesh filter inside that you need to remove and clean by spraying the CRC cleaner on then letting dry. Once dry all you do is put the filter back in place and put the screw back in and tighten. At the same time I was in the process of taking the throttle body off (which is a little chore, but can be done with much patience) You can follow this thread and just pay attention to the parts that show you how to get the throttle body separated and then clean in both ends of the TB in order get the gunk out that could be causing it to stick. -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...for-gs300.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...-cleaning.html

This link is geared toward the GS400/430, but has good information on cleaning the Throttle body. You will see that there is a lot of carbon built up in this throttle body, and that is what you want to clean out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/main...and-gs430.html

Once I got my throttle body separated and looked inside, there was a bunch of carbon built up in there. I took throttle body cleaner that I got at my local parts store and a cotton rag and cleaned inside the throttle body. You will need a long screw driver for the left side inlet to reach down inside with a rag to get the carbon built up removed. While I had the throttle body separated I went ahead and just made sure all of my plug wires and coil pack connectors were securely attached and then I put the throttle body back on, then put it all back together. I double checked every clamp, vacuum line and connector to make sure they were secure and snapped together.

After I got her put back together I went ahead and started her and she purred like a kitten. I have been driving it all weekend without a hiccup. I'm pretty sure that by cleaning out the Oil control valve, the Mass air Flow Sensor, and the Throttle body solved the problem. These are maintenance issues that often get over looked and by taking the time to trouble shoot and clean them regularly we could probably save ourselves a headache down the road. I hope this helps.
Old 02-08-10, 11:52 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not only a testimony to the power of DIY, but the power of ClubLexus!

Thanks for your story!
Old 02-08-10, 12:24 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by r979234

This link is geared toward the GS400/430, but has good information on cleaning the Throttle body. You will see that there is a lot of carbon built up in this throttle body, and that is what you want to clean out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/main...and-gs430.html
OP ty ty ty for being a noob and using the site for what its for....searching and using your brain to help fix things. glad u got everything resolved this is one of the main reasons i love this site, so many different people comming together to use this site to exchange info/knowledge/fixes. a honest/heartfelt welcome to the club sir how bout some pics of your car?

oh BTW the link i quoted above doesnt work though.

Originally Posted by timgs300
This is not only a testimony to the power of DIY, but the power of ClubLexus!

Thanks for your story!
x2
one main reason this site is here is for us to use others knowledge and bad luck to help each other
Old 02-08-10, 08:30 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write-up, I think it's worth seconding what Brian said, good to see someone searching and also consolidating some info. that could help others!
Old 02-16-10, 08:32 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
OP ty ty ty for being a noob and using the site for what its for....searching and using your brain to help fix things. glad u got everything resolved this is one of the main reasons i love this site, so many different people comming together to use this site to exchange info/knowledge/fixes. a honest/heartfelt welcome to the club sir how bout some pics of your car?

oh BTW the link i quoted above doesnt work though.
Can somebody please fix the link or tell me the name of the thread, i would like to see some pics of a gunked up TB. THX
Old 10-10-10, 09:07 PM
Lexuri0us1
Driver School Candidate

I love how you put these together.. I'm having major problems with m y car and I'm going to try these methods first before I do some part changing. I experienced the same flashing CEL light, though only for a little while. I'm hoping my problem is as simple... *fingers crossed*
Old 10-11-10, 02:55 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuri0us1
I love how you put these together.. I'm having major problems with m y car and I'm going to try these methods first before I do some part changing. I experienced the same flashing CEL light, though only for a little while. I'm hoping my problem is as simple... *fingers crossed*
as a note, a bad charcoal canister can also cause hesitation and a randomly appearing CEL.
Old 10-11-10, 02:20 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
as a note, a bad charcoal canister can also cause hesitation and a randomly appearing CEL.
Realy?
Can you please tell us how the EVAP system can cause a misfire and or hesitation...