GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HIDs From HIDXtra

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 10:43 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs From HIDXtra

Well, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my HID set up for you guys. I have lows, highs, and fogs from HIDXtra. I went with 5000K all around. After two months of usage, all the bulbs have been "broken in" and give a nice, pure white color. I was looking for bulbs with usable light, not fancy blue/purple ones so these suited my needs. I'm happy with them and haven't had a problem since I installed them.

I also took pictures of where I mounted the ballasts for my lows and highs so you guys can get an idea. If you guys could provide me some pictures of where you mounted your ballasts that would be great. If I see a better mounting spot, I probably will, but where I mounted mine right now they're somewhat hidden or look like they're supposed to be there, to a degree.

I took pictures with both flash and without flash to give you guys a better understanding of the color output from the 5000K kit from HIDXtra. Keep in mind, the bulbs do give off a pure white color, but in some of the pictures they may appear yellow or extremely blue depending on angle and flash. All of the photos which were taken with flash more accurately represented the color output you would see in person.

The ballasts are 35w, although I wish they were 55w, but for the price of $60 a kit you can't complain.

For my inner bulbs, I bought a pair of white single led bulbs. In the pictures that I took of them without flash they appear extremely blue and in the pictures with flash they appear a pure white. In person they would match a 6000K bulb perfectly.

Oh, and don't mind the scratches on the front of my car. Some individual with a high level of idiocy rubbed up against the front of my car with his bike or whatever it was while I was inside the RMV/DMV. I don't know what the Hell happened to be honest. I was just getting a form for my sister to get her learner's permit.

So lets begin with the lows, fogs, and inner bulbs.

Head On View
Without Flash

With Flash

Side View (Passenger's Side)
Without Flash

With Flash

Side View (Driver's Side)
Without Flash

With Flash

Inner Bulbs Head On
Without Flash

With Flash

I won't be providing side views of these inner bulbs as you guys get the idea.

Onto my high beams. I only have the head on view as I was getting a bit cold haha.

Without Flash

With Flash

Now for in-car pictures and no I do not have white gauges... My camera just makes it look like I do, but I can keep dreaming. Haha. These pictures are just poor demonstrations of how my lights look. I need a better camera.

Low Beams

Low Beams/Fogs

Lows/Highs

Finally, the ballast placement. I mounted the ballasts with just the double sided tape included with the kits and they've held up without a problem. I have taken close up shots and distance shots to give you guys a better understanding of where I mounted them. I did my best to keep it looking clean. I think I need to rearrange some of the wires as it looks a bit messy, but I think the ballasts are blended in/hidden quite well for the most part.

Passenger Side

Driver Side

I am very pleased with my purchases. Not bad at all for the $180 well spent. Installation was a breeze. Took me a total of an hour and fifteen minutes to get all ballasts mounted/bulbs installed. The hardest part was definitely finding a place to mount the ballasts though. I thought long and hard about it. Oh, and putting in the driver's side low beam bulb is a big pain in the *** too, well at least it was for me.

Well, there you have it. I apologize for the mass amount of pictures, but I hope you guys enjoyed reading my post. I'm just trying to help and contribute something to this forum as I've learned so much from all of you.

Thanks, Steve.

Last edited by shvc1991; 01-27-10 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors.
Old 01-28-10, 05:05 PM
G000BER
Driver School Candidate

Is ur cluster WHITE or am i blind?
Old 01-28-10, 06:25 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Some cars have white some were green. Depends on the age and year of the car. Generally the newer ones have white and older ones are green. I have a 02 and a 05 GS, the 05 is white and the 02 is green. Then again, it could also be his camera. Every camera captures colors a bit differently.
Old 01-28-10, 07:11 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Very nice post! I am a bit of a newbie, but I have HID kits on the way. How do you feel about the beam pattern?
Old 01-28-10, 07:21 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G000BER
Is ur cluster WHITE or am i blind?
Haha. It's green man, I wish it was white. It's just my camera as Jeff stated below.

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Some cars have white some were green. Depends on the age and year of the car. Generally the newer ones have white and older ones are green. I have a 02 and a 05 GS, the 05 is white and the 02 is green. Then again, it could also be his camera. Every camera captures colors a bit differently.
Is there any way to turn them white, Jeff?

Originally Posted by BigClexus
Very nice post! I am a bit of a newbie, but I have HID kits on the way. How do you feel about the beam pattern?
Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the beam pattern, it's alright, but still scattered. I try to be considerate of others so I aimed them more towards the ground to keep the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers, but I still get the occasional flash of high beams.