GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Horrible knocking, rough running after cold start, 1+ week in storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 03:56 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Horrible knocking, rough running after cold start, 1+ week in storage

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 GS430, with 71000 miles. During the holidays (and a big East Coast Snow Storm!) I parked my GS430 in my unheated garage, unused for about 8 days. Temps in the garage never fell below about 30 degrees or so - cold, but not THAT cold.

When I started it after it sitting for 8 days, it started right up, but the engine made HORRIBLE knocking sounds and ran VERY roughly for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, the knocking gradually disappeared, although a light knocking/tapping sound continued for another 60 seconds or so. I knew the oil was full, and there was NO oil pressure light or Check Engine light, so I let it continue to run. After a couple of minutes, even the light knocking/tapping went away. Never had any lights on the dashboard come on.

It sounded very much like an oil issue. I have owned this car since new, and use Mobil 1 5W-30 EP, with a Mobil 1 filter, which has an anti-drainback valve.

I vaguely remember this happened once before with this car - so this is twice this has happened in 6.5 years of ownership.

After this happened, I changed the oil, since it was due for a change anyway. The oil was not particularly dirty, and I know the engine is clean, as it has used nothing but Mobil 1, changed fairly frequently its entire life.

Was this related to the VVTi? I am a bit surprised that the oil would drain so completely after only 8 days of sitting. The noise really sounded bad - like the engine was self-destructing.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Car runs fine now. Is there anything I need to check? Thanks for any comments...
Old 12-31-09, 04:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Not sure but my car has sat for awhile and has started right up.. I'm sure the weather conditions played a part in starting the car also.. Temps in the 30's might have played a role on the engine internals..
Old 01-01-10, 01:46 PM
cjames235
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive actually had the same thing happen in my 300 once and it only sat for about 3 days....... sounded like the lifters drained out

ran extremely rough and then went away after about 30secs or so exactly like you described (no lights, etc)

hasnt done it again even after i have let it sit for longer periods of time since then

wierd :-/
Old 01-01-10, 03:05 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car sat outside as for those 8 days as well during that snow storm. And it was fine. Maybe something going into your engine bay and chewed something up. Good luck
Old 01-01-10, 06:18 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same thing happen to my 2gs3 before... but it only happen onced... no lights, no issues.. just one scary startup... if my car has been sitting for a few days in the cold i turn the key two clicks right before ignition, let it sit for a few secs, then start it... usually out of fear of hearing that noise again.
Old 01-02-10, 06:27 AM
btanchors
Driver

cjames235 and djspawn00,

I am glad I am not the only one that has had this happen. It truly is a frightening, horrible mechanical knocking sound.

I have a partial theory - that it is oil related, and the oil is indeed draining, but only under certain circumstances - I suspect the point at which the engine's rotation stops may have something to do with it. I do not think it is related to the oil filter having a poor or non-existent drainback valve - the knocking and sputtering is far too severe to be caused by that.

When the engine stops rotating upon shutdown, if it stops at just the right position, and sits long enough, the oil drains to the extent that the valves are not operating properly. If I only understood more about how the valves operate in these engines, perhaps I could figure out more details...But I think the oil drains to the extent that the valves cannot operate sufficiently for the engine to run properly. What puzzles me is why this happens some times and not others. And if I am correct about it being related to the point at which the engine stops rotating, why this would have anything to do with it. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the valve train on these engines could chime in with a more substantial theory?
Old 01-20-10, 05:40 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation btanchors, I have the...

....EXACT same problem as you. It had me worried as hell!! Mine is a 2000 LS with a little over 100K miles, so it is the VVT-i engine. I was wondering if it could have something to do with the VVTi valvetrain?? ....and this is happening only LATELY.

I have also been using Mobil-1 5W-30 synthetic since I bought the vehicle in 2004 with 45K miles on it, and only use a Mobil-1 oil filter (always take it to an independent garage, so that I can see them working on it, to make sure they are using my SYNTHETIC OIL and FILTER!!)

The last couple of times, when I started the car in the morning it made the "harsh-sounding" knocking noise for 30 to 45 secs, and then the noise gradually subsided, just like in your case. I live in southern california and the temps are around 55 to 60F in the morning. The engine is revving (high idle) at about 1000 to 1100 RPM when this happens.

The other day I had to travel, so after my car sat for about 4 days (it's cold and has been raining here in CA). When I started it today, not only did it making that horrendous knocking noise, but the car started shaking for the first 10 secs or so, before gradually settling down. The knocking continued for another 20 to 30 secs, slowly dissappearing. After it had fully warmed up, while driving it was super-smooth, but on one occasion, while moving in slow traffic there was some slight shaking/knocking for a few secs and then completely dissappeared. I find it very strange! ....don't know what to make of this!!
Old 01-20-10, 10:17 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Hydraulic cam actuators... All the oil drains out, the knocking is excessive play in the cam shaft. New IS250's have a TSB to replace the cam actuators, they do the same thing on cold start. Granted its a completely different motor.
Old 01-21-10, 04:28 AM
btanchors
Driver

vicpai,

I wish I had some new info to give regarding this issue, but I do not. At this time, I have no clue how harmful this is, whether it indicates some component is beginning to fail, or how to remedy the issue. So far, since I last posted, my car has not done this again. Perhaps someone will eventually stumble across this thread and know the exact cause and solution. Until then, I know of nothing I can do other than keep my fingers crossed that it isn't a serious problem developing. Also Vic - you describe the problem very well - exactly what I am experiencing. At least I am not the only one who has experienced this!
Old 03-27-11, 02:47 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump, My GS400 has done this a few times recently. Any more info on this would be great.
Old 03-27-11, 09:49 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My GS400 sits in storage for 3+ months between cranks and never had any problems or sounds. I went on a trip for 4 weeks and my GS430 sat for the entire time in the garage - I came back and it started up like a champ like it was started everyday - no problems..
Old 03-27-11, 10:41 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

i got this problem too only when it sits for a week without starting the car. Initially, it's starving for oil, after the oil pressure builds up, the noise is gone. But if you here the knock everytime specially when the car is already at normal operating temperature then you can be worried.
Old 02-01-20, 10:13 PM
Almasy
Driver School Candidate

this happened to me after my is300 sat for a few days, knocked horribly. I switched to 10w-30 and it never knocks after a few days on cold start. not even sure how much sense that makes because the oil is thicker so takes longer to reach the top end but I remember doing research on it and came to the conclusion to switch to 10w-30 but I am curious if I should be running that oil at this point. im at 230k miles with no knocking or ticking.
Old 02-02-20, 08:45 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Lifters drained should be more clattery . Vvti not synching sometimes cause an inconsistent knock from what i HEAR frim others.
maybe the vvti oil screen if there is one needs a cleaning.
I have 2jz and notice that the oil has to travel really far to get to the solenoid.
just my initial coming to mind on this issue.
This aldo happened to me aftera lenghty park in the tropics. 2 weeks. Never under 20Celcius. Royal Purple anx Amsoil 5-30
Old 02-02-20, 10:51 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same problem with my GS400, but ever since I been using amsoil synthetic oil my car can sit for months and won't knock or tap anymore when I start it up

Quick Reply: Horrible knocking, rough running after cold start, 1+ week in storage