GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: How to flush your GS2 coolant with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 01:22 PM
ANTW1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you...

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I'd add a couple of pointers/caveats.

First, the red coolant is Long Life, not Super Long Life as stated up top. I'm not trying to be picky, but it confuses even some parts guys I talked to - the Long Life (red) coolant is pure antifreeze, the Super Long Life (pink) coolant is already diluted to 50/50. So just be careful that you get the right one.

Next, when you say "pour all of the red coolant into the radiator", you should clarify that you should pour half of the system's total coolant capacity into the radiator. Since the total capacity is 10.4 qts, you should pour in 5.2 qts of red coolant, and then top off with distilled water to get the 50/50 mixture. Don't forget the overflow reservoir, some of the coolant should go into that too.

I would drain the block too, as it holds a lot of coolant that does not get drained by just draining the radiator.

When running the engine to flush the system, have the heater working to get that purged out as well.

In my experience, it took several drain and refill cycles to get all of the old coolant out, i.e. before the drained stuff came out clear and not red or pink. If you know that your current coolant is not contaminated and is Toyota red, you can probably get by with doing one or two drain/refill cycles. But if you don't know whats in there now, I'd repeat the drain/refills until the water drained clear.
how do you drain the block?
Old 02-09-11, 01:54 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a plug (14mm bolt) underneath the exhaust manifold all the way in the back. It's difficult to reach though.
Old 02-09-11, 05:25 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Good DIY. So how do you burp the system? I know there's a way because I had to pay the Dealer to do it after jiffy lube messed it up and got air in the system.
Old 02-09-11, 05:47 PM
miaristo
Lead Lap

What I do also is after im done filling up the radiator back up, I rev the motor to about 1500 rpm with the cap off for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. I do this for bout 4 or 5 minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-11, 11:24 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Dont recall every seeing this....good little DIY. nigel should add it to the stickies. when i do mine next year (did it awhile ago already) i will post the pics of the engine block bolt.

one question though...i see lyonkster said total capacity is 10.4 quarts but is this including the coolant in the block? i would assume so since he says total capacity but i just wanna double check.

i gotta go look up the recommended interval change on this also, will do so when i get to work tomorrow less someone wants to post it....off to bed now

EDIT: found it, every 30k

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ant-flush.html

Last edited by sakataj; 02-10-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 11:53 PM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

Nice write up dude, i think i will be doing this soon aswell
Old 02-10-11, 12:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you're going to do a flush, you might as well drain coolant from the engine block also to get all the old coolant out. Great DIY though!
I was thinking the same thing Henry.

Btw...does anyone have a pic of the drain on the engine block? I assume the location of the drain on the engine block is different on the 300, 400, and 430.

Great writeup with pics...thanks for sharing.

pete
Old 02-10-11, 03:03 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
one question though...i see lyonkster said total capacity is 10.4 quarts but is this including the coolant in the block? i would assume so since he says total capacity but i just wanna double check.
Yup, 10.4 is the total capacity; radiator, block, heater core, hoses, etc . So if you are only doing drain and refill of the radiator, you'd adjust accordingly (i.e. measure how much you drained, then put in equivalent amount of 50/50).
Old 02-10-11, 09:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Yup, 10.4 is the total capacity; radiator, block, heater core, hoses, etc . So if you are only doing drain and refill of the radiator, you'd adjust accordingly (i.e. measure how much you drained, then put in equivalent amount of 50/50).
thanks, appreciate it
Old 02-11-11, 03:06 AM
billzblaze
Rookie

i wonder how many times i would have to do this being that the previous owner used the
green coolant and i dont know for how long.Do you guys think i should just continue using
the green or flush it out and put red?
Old 02-12-11, 07:50 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice.

Ive never used these, but the concept sounds great to flush out the system and flush out all deposits and sediment.

You cut the coolant hoses, put one of these inline and then flush the system with a water hose.

Old 02-16-11, 05:12 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

Originally Posted by billzblaze
i wonder how many times i would have to do this being that the previous owner used the
green coolant and i dont know for how long.Do you guys think i should just continue using
the green or flush it out and put red?
Anybody????
Old 02-16-11, 08:50 PM
docrings
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htowncory
Nice.

Ive never used these, but the concept sounds great to flush out the system and flush out all deposits and sediment.

You cut the coolant hoses, put one of these inline and then flush the system with a water hose.

Used those "T" fittings by the dozen on my old 60's musclecars back in the day...and worked great for a complete flush with the garden hose. Of course, most had 3 foot long heater hoses going to the firewall, and they were easy to see and cut into... don't know on the GS4's....
If you are into flushing with distilled water and want to retain the stock look of your hoses, then the "T"-flush system is not for you....
Old 02-16-11, 08:52 PM
docrings
Rookie

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Anybody????
There's lots of posts on whether to risk mixing the "Green" with the "Red", since each has differing additives...and some say risk of sludge formation and/or aluminum pitting.

If you plan to go Toyota Red or Pink, the good DIY'er should do it right, and completely flush or do multiple drain'n'fills until clear...then refill with the right mix of either Red or Pink.

Do a search for antifreeze on the CL forums, especially the maintenance forum for all the lively banter of conversation there...

Old 03-09-11, 06:41 PM
rkircho
Driver School Candidate

Default Heater hoses for 2000 gs300

Does anyone know where I can buy the two heater hoses for a 2000 GS300. The only place I can find them is a Lexus dealer that wants 110.00 for the 2 heater hoses.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to flush your GS2 coolant with pictures