GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car shut off while driving...please help

Old 11-01-09, 12:27 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car shut off while driving...please help

hi.... lately my car been acting weird.... in the middle of driving, something is flicking the car to shut off....either when im driving or i press on the brake...when it shut off, i got no power at all... i let it sit for a couple of minute and then it got back on, i start it up and it hesitate a little but it clear my radio memory and so...

- what would cause the car to shut off by itself.... can the computer be malfunction....

i did got a obd2 scanner and it brings up o2 sensor bank two, pending at possible of bad o2, bad connection, efi relay,

can efi relay cause the engine to shut off if its bad....i mean complete off mode...please give me some opinnion and advise... thankz
Old 11-01-09, 05:35 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your battery and alternator
Old 11-01-09, 06:37 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

to fathom a guess = alternator
had same prob on another car (not lexus) but found out it was the alternator.
Old 11-01-09, 07:16 PM
4double0
Driver

Make sure your battery terminals are tightly connected
Old 11-01-09, 10:30 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4double0
Make sure your battery terminals are tightly connected
if the battery terminal is lose and engine is running, then it should not shut off bcuz it not running from the battery , it be the alternator that is charging the whole car unless it bad
which if the alternaor is good then they ok....
Old 11-01-09, 10:41 PM
AuburnGS
Driver

same thing happened to me not too long ago.tried charging the battery and couldnt even get the car to start even with a jump after that.just bought a new battery and everything is fine now gl with the situation
Old 11-01-09, 11:56 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ok the same thing happened to me on my honda. it turned out was a bad key switch (the computer part of the switch) one of the metal tap is loose. it was a known problem for my honda. but im not sure if it's the same for lexus.
Old 11-02-09, 09:35 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

check voltage at battery and alternator... corrosion?
Old 11-02-09, 05:31 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

hey supz... thanks for responing....there is no corrosion on the battery, car start every crank, i check the efi relay by taking it out while the car was running and engine stop but i still got power....but i will check the relay again with the measurment to see if its good or not...

it happen again tonite when driving home, usually happen when i press on the brake and it flick, if i hold the brake when this happen then it will shut off... im going to check my brake switch if that can cause the problem ... i jus replace that 2 month ago, but i dont think that can interfare it.....it got to do something with the main power source of the car...i dont have any after market sub system, the only thing that i did to the car is hid kit...i will check the ignition switch.... but like i say, it usually happen when i press on the brake but sometime driving too....please help and let me know what else to check.. this is my only ride and i hate it to shut off in the middle of the highway with no power....poeple will not see me.... so i like to get this fix asap.... money is tight on me so i will do the best i can b4 i gave up and let the dealer take over as i know its not cheap... i did hook up the obd2 tester and all it says is o2 sensor bank 2 pending....

thanks again... so to bored u out....or making its long...
Old 11-02-09, 06:24 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

If this only happens after you replaced the brake switch and it only happens when you hit the brakes... BINGO! You must have caused a short or the brake switch is bad.
Old 11-02-09, 09:35 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

imma going to check the brake switch... i replaced this 2 month ago, but even if its a bad switch, is it possible that it can cause its to lose power and shut the whole car down, i figure either the ecu, or ignition switch.... i will keep you post it while i try to test and trace it... but please still inform me the possibilies..thanks
Old 11-05-09, 05:11 PM
flexspeed
Pole Position

went to autozone to get my alternator and battery check... it came out good...

i did a volt check with a meter and when car is running the alternator is avg, at 13.49v... but when i added a load like my ac on and headlight, it jump up avg. to 14.25v

should it be the opposite...?
what else i try is that i let the car running and then diconnect the battery and car still running...
yesterday when driving... my hid light was like flickering so i turn it off, and my engine just shut out with no power, put it in neutral and turn the key off and turn it back on... stilll didnt but second time, power went back up...

any other possibility?
Old 12-27-09, 09:02 PM
Nyteryder
Driver

did you ever fix the problem, if so what was it. I seem to be having the same problem minuse the the brake switch
Old 12-28-09, 02:03 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel, when was the last time the filter was changed too ? just an idea and check the injectors too
Old 09-09-10, 07:34 AM
An72
Driver School Candidate

If you must slow or stop rapidly while Driving, turn your ignition to OFF and apply the brakes. However, be sure you turn the key to OFF, not LOCK. On most vehicles, you can't turn the steering wheel when the key is in the lock position. If you have power steering and power brakes, turning off the ignition will require increased physical effort to steer and brake the vehicle as the vehicle slows. As the vehicle slows down, steer it off the roadway, if possible. You reduce the foot pressure on the accelerator but the accelerator pedal does not respond and the vehicle does not slow down. On the other hand, for some reason, the accelerator pedal is suddenly depressed to the floor, and the vehicle lurches forward.

Last edited by An72; 09-14-10 at 07:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car shut off while driving...please help