GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Headlight Bulb Rubber Grommet/Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 07:30 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Rubber Grommet/Seal?

Hey all,
I just recently installed my LS430 retros and noticed that the 2GS rubber grommet/seal that goes over the back of the bulb doesn't really seal it all the way. There are gaps on the sides. I know on the OEM 2GS headlights, these completely seal the bulb area. I know ours uses D2R bulbs and the LS430 uses D2S so I'm guessing the LS430 uses a different set of rubber grommets and that's why there are gaps?

My question is this, will condensation/moisture be much more likely to develop since it is not completely sealed off?

Those of you with the LS430 retros, did this pose a problem for you? If so, how did you resolve this issue? Can I just buy the rubber grommets from a LS430 and put those in?

I just had the retros' housings painted the SD color and the last thing I need is moisture/condensation getting inside the lens and ultimately affecting light output and ruining the paint.

-Theo
Old 10-13-09, 11:59 AM
sleeper408

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
Old 10-13-09, 01:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll shed some "light", no pun intended

I assume you're putting the LS430 projectors into a 2GS halogen housing. If so, then you probably wouldn't know but the 2GS HID housing has a built in enclosure for the HID assembly. It's actually a plastic cap that screws on and seals the HID stuff inside the headlight. For the halogen housing, the bowl is exposed to the elements with just that rubber boot to seal it off. What you do is slightly cut the rubber grommet so it will stretch around the new projector. If that doesn't work, I've built a custom enclosure for a few sets before. Either way, if you don't have the grommet in there it won't be too bad. It's pretty hard for rain water to get back there unless you're driving through a flood or something. And if it does, it has a big hole to evaporate the water instead of staying in the housing. The only thing I would worry about is dust collecting in the headlight because there's no seal back there.
Old 10-13-09, 01:09 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'll shed some "light", no pun intended

I assume you're putting the LS430 projectors into a 2GS halogen housing. If so, then you probably wouldn't know but the 2GS HID housing has a built in enclosure for the HID assembly. It's actually a plastic cap that screws on and seals the HID stuff inside the headlight. For the halogen housing, the bowl is exposed to the elements with just that rubber boot to seal it off. What you do is slightly cut the rubber grommet so it will stretch around the new projector. If that doesn't work, I've built a custom enclosure for a few sets before. Either way, if you don't have the grommet in there it won't be too bad. It's pretty hard for rain water to get back there unless you're driving through a flood or something. And if it does, it has a big hole to evaporate the water instead of staying in the housing. The only thing I would worry about is dust collecting in the headlight because there's no seal back there.
Thanks for the explanation Jeff. I know that water is not likely to get inside the headlights via the bulb area. I thought that maybe condensation may enter when it gets cold and work its way toward the inside of the lense and collect there. That is what I'm afraid of. The previous owner did cut the rubber grommet to fit the bulb/harness but there are still small gaps on both sides of the harness. Am I being paranoid about condensation/moisture problems?