GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)

Old 10-05-09, 06:19 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)

well ive had a LS and ive been about the LS forums for a while.

a lot of LS members changed the coolant temperature sensor, including myself. and the difference was pretty noticeable. the car was a lot more responsive to the gas pedal. and gas mileage was a bit improved.

so since the gs400 and 98+ LS400 use basically the same 1UZ engine,
I was wondering if anyone ever changed it on a GS400 and if anyone has, whats the difference... ive searched and saw no threads about it. so im assuming that no one really has tried it.

here's the link with testimonial

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html
Old 10-06-09, 10:14 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

so im assuming no one has?
Old 10-06-09, 07:58 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car was a lot more responsive to the gas pedal. and gas mileage was a bit improved.
maybe

Last edited by dxb_8788; 10-06-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 09:59 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
the car was a lot more responsive to the gas pedal. and gas mileage was a bit improved.
maybe

Old 10-06-09, 10:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Try it and let us know.

But you could also find out if your ECT sensor is bad just by hooking up a scanner that gives live data.
Old 10-06-09, 11:28 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A scanner will not show bad data so it will look fine under a live feed.
What happens is the wax inside the sensor becomes hard and the sensor now is slow to react and is no longer precise in its information given to the computer through its resistance.
Buy a new one for any car ever 100 000 , for $50 it is the best bang for your buck , I love mine.
Old 10-07-09, 05:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

You can read what the ect sensor is telling the computer. As long it doesn't register too low or high then the sensor is ok.
Old 10-07-09, 07:46 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

gs4 fiend , i am sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.
If the wax is hard it is not sending the correct temperature to the ecu.
So unless you get a base line reading with another calibrated temp sensor it is useless to read the ecu.
It will always move up and down but if it says 150 degrees when it is supposed to 110 is that going to help or hinder the issue .
Old 10-07-09, 07:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

If the sensor is within the temperature range it's fine. You don't have to be 100% accurate according to your point of view.
Old 10-07-09, 08:11 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

It does not need to be 100% accurate but it needs to be accurate.
When it ages it is not accurate and takes longer to register changes so the mapping is no longer where it should be for timing and pulse .

Please don't argue or debate with me unless you are a certified technician and know the cars as well as i do. I am not making this up from thin air which is why i add what is the problem and why it is not good .

I was trying to be nice about it before.
You haven't added one point other than you think it doesn't need to with no proof to back it up. Get the point , it is freaking annoying as hell to have people talk but are clueless to argue with you with dynamics of a part .
Old 10-08-09, 12:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you don't understand my point of view. The coolant temperature sensor is a priority sensor. Without it, you car won't run properly because it doesn't know how to adjust the fuel trim. If the ECT is bad, the car will run like crap. What I was referring on topic about the "OP" complaining about gas mileage. He never said anything about the car running sluggish. And what you are comparing is from other cars from experience or seen. Let's be more mature.
Old 10-08-09, 12:46 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

hey come on cool it down guys I was just asking a simple question to see if as many people did the sensor with the GS' as the amount that did it with the LS...

in this post I never did complain about gas mileage. however I did state that other LS members including myself saw better gas mileage when we did this AND a better throttle response....

Im understanding where sk is coming from, no offense to you GS4fiend
when I replaced my old one on my LS, it was all corroded and stuff. there's no way that thing was sending out the proper signal. and even IF i thought it could have sent out the proper signal, I would have been proven wrong JUST by how the car performed as SOON as I drove off. I didnt change anything else but that. the NEW, CLEAN sensor was the main factor that the car felt a lot more.... NEW I guess!
but point is, its gotta be tested before we write it off.

dont take it personally my man, if someone told me to change that sensor without me hearing anyone else saying it worked for them, I damn sure woulda been skeptical too and probably would have said, " thats not gonna do nothin"

hey skperformance, on your LS, where was the coolant sensor?

im looking for mine, my engine cover was already off so I snapped a shot with my phone. I do remember hearing that on the VVt-i 4.0 engines the sensor is near (or under) the throttle body

but thats just what one person said.

is that the one you changed SK?
Old 10-08-09, 05:45 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually changed my ECT sensor along with a new MAF sensor and PCV valve (thanks to Slickgt1)! I noticed the car rides a little smoother with a little more response and a little better gas mileage (around 1mpg better). Sorry to be so vague but this is my experience. I changed all these parts out about 2 mos ago.

I also changed the spark plugs and all O2 sensors about 7 mos ago. I wanted most of the important sensors changed to new so the car is running at optimum efficiency. The only thing left is the catalytic converter (which I probably am never going to do because it is MAD $$$ to replace) and the fuel filter.

I am still only getting around 15-16mpg around town and probably around 19-20 on highway; but I barely do highway . GL!
Old 10-08-09, 06:11 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sup Rock. LOL, I saw the post just now and was about to post up. Yea, I noticed a bunch of improvements as well. I have two more friends with GSs that did it too with noticable results.

Anyway, my car is at 125K miles, I can't see that sensor working optimally at this point. Plus it really doesn't cost much, and takes two mins to swap out.
Old 10-08-09, 06:28 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

we talking butt dyno or actual improvements here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone ever changed their coolant temp. sensor? (GS400)