GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Removing gauge needles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 09:26 PM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing gauge needles

Has anyone here removed the needles from your gauge cluster before? Since no one makes after market gauges for the car I was thinking about having my own made. I've removed them easily from the older GS before and put it back easily but not this one. From my understanding the 2GS is electric

Some people might think changing the gauges are ricey, but if you as me the stock look like those super cheap EL gauges from way back in the day. I means seriously, its like '95 rice central.

I mean c'mon someone please tell me I'm wrong

I want to get them to look a little more modern like the new GS. They are just pure sex

Last edited by iNS0MNiAC; 10-02-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 07:32 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've looked at the 2GSs needles, but don't remember exactly... What I've done in previous cars is to remember where exactly the needles are with the cluster in and the car idling, then remove the cluster and pull front lense and the needles (careful, they're easy to break). Do whatever it is you planned to do, then reinstall the needleless cluster without the front lense. Start the car, and push on the needles in the appropriate locations. Finish reassembly from there...

I have a feeling you'll get some flak here from people that don't think you can do this or that (i.e. matching the 3GSs cluster), but don't let it deter you!! Get creative! I planned to as well, but just haven't had the time.
Old 09-23-09, 07:53 AM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I have a feeling you'll get some flak here from people that don't think you can do this or that (i.e. matching the 3GSs cluster), but don't let it deter you!! Get creative! I planned to as well, but just haven't had the time.
I found a thread dated WAY back showing how to do it. Removing the needles seems easy enough.

I'm not worried about criticism, a lot of people said I couldn't do half the things I did to my old ride LOL. I'm not installing 3GS gauges to my car, I'm making new ones from scratch.
Old 09-23-09, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by iNS0MNiAC
I found a thread dated WAY back showing how to do it. Removing the needles seems easy enough.

I'm not worried about criticism, a lot of people said I couldn't do half the things I did to my old ride LOL. I'm not installing 3GS gauges to my car, I'm making new ones from scratch.
since our clusters use cold cathode tubes i dunno how this will work

there was a vendor on here who was trying to install some brighter CC tubes into the cluster....if you can find that person then can tell you how to remove the needles (he had a ad in the classifieds for a headlight retro they had done). also some guy on here DID brighten his background using some tubes but his shows some "hotspots" and it didnt look right, but he also should be able to tell you how to remove the needles. try searching for these

yes the newer gs's cluster is great but the ones you linked to look like the ones autozone sells and you see in people's crustangs and civics
Old 09-23-09, 01:28 PM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
yes the newer gs's cluster is great but the ones you linked to look like the ones autozone sells and you see in people's crustangs and civics
LOL thats exactly what I mean. The stock 2GS gauges look like those cheap *** Autozone gauges. This is why I'm going to make my own gauges from scratch. The plastic covers are just a translucent white which the CCFL tubes shine through. It should be hard to make new ones.

I've already figured out how to remove the needles safely. I'll keep you guys posted how the progress goes
Old 09-23-09, 02:38 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I smell what you're steppin in now. So you'll make new plates, basically. What's to your advantage is how the OEM gauges are lit (backlit vs. the APC-type ricer gauges which are lit internally). So, all you'd need to do is make plates. Finding the right person to do it is about your only obstacle, huh? Can it be CNC machined? You could even get that polished look on the faces like the 3GS, which I'll guess you've already thought of...
Old 09-23-09, 02:58 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search... it's out there. I did this almost 2 years ago, the only advice I have for you is to do your research first, the CCFLs are not as easy as everyone thinks, you can't just plug in LEDs.... From what I have seen, they don't make any aftermarket kits for our gauges. One thing I'd like to add is that the gauges should be plugged in, with the ignition on, this way your gauges will be at a starting point that way they're accurate. I had a full tank of gas, and let the engine completely cool that way when I put the needles on, I had 0mph, 0 rpm, temp was cold, and gas was full. I haven't had a problem since I fixed mine, as I was off by a few MPH, and gas gauge never read full, which was fixed, Good luck... I would also like to add that Lextech used to do a 2GS gauge kit, but has since stopped because it was too troublesome, just an FYI....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...requested.html
Old 09-23-09, 03:43 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

If you get them made, let me know if you can get another pair =) Share the wealth.
Old 09-23-09, 04:45 PM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Search... it's out there. I did this almost 2 years ago, the only advice I have for you is to do your research first, the CCFLs are not as easy as everyone thinks, you can't just plug in LEDs.... From what I have seen, they don't make any aftermarket kits for our gauges. One thing I'd like to add is that the gauges should be plugged in, with the ignition on, this way your gauges will be at a starting point that way they're accurate. I had a full tank of gas, and let the engine completely cool that way when I put the needles on, I had 0mph, 0 rpm, temp was cold, and gas was full. I haven't had a problem since I fixed mine, as I was off by a few MPH, and gas gauge never read full, which was fixed, Good luck... I would also like to add that Lextech used to do a 2GS gauge kit, but has since stopped because it was too troublesome, just an FYI....

Ya I found that thread shortly before you posted (Great white up BTW). But I'm not trying to change the CCFL to LED I'm still keep the CCFL as my back light but only changing the face plates to blacked out with white numbers or find a CNC shop to make me a thin machined face to slap on top. Worst case scenario if I cant get a think machined surface I'll have a vinyl made

Last edited by iNS0MNiAC; 09-23-09 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 06:30 PM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Once I have all the parts ready I'll post up a DIY
Old 09-23-09, 08:25 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

insomniac props on innovation, your car looks wicked good in the sig.
Old 09-24-09, 10:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE

can we see a finished pic of your cluster

Originally Posted by iNS0MNiAC
Ya I found that thread shortly before you posted (Great white up BTW). But I'm not trying to change the CCFL to LED I'm still keep the CCFL as my back light but only changing the face plates to blacked out with white numbers or find a CNC shop to make me a thin machined face to slap on top. Worst case scenario if I cant get a think machined surface I'll have a vinyl made
will be cool. let us know
Old 09-24-09, 12:57 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Man.... that looked like a lot of work for the cluster. Looks great though.
Old 09-24-09, 01:41 PM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the diagram with the parts : http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_be_0102.pdf it may help to understand what you can change. An here is the dissassembly procedure : http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_be_0103.pdf

Hope this helps
Old 09-28-09, 12:57 AM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yemgi
here is the diagram with the parts : http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_be_0102.pdf it may help to understand what you can change. An here is the dissassembly procedure : http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/.../m_be_0103.pdf

Hope this helps
Thanks man, this will definitely help out.

I've actually looked into this a little further and trying to find a CNC machine shop to replicate the thin metal plate like the 3GS gauges is a lot harder to find than what I anticipated. However that's not going to stop me there.

I just picked up a used 2GS cluster so I can begin to make the template for the new faces. I started to look through hundreds of different gauges from other vehicles for inspiration and I made a quick mock up. The gauges that really appealed to me were the new Acura RL and the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Both of the 2 are very similar in ways and I guess what drew me was the "eclipse" effect they have. One of my main concerns is that the needles are a clear red and relies on the back lighting to shine through to make them visible. I guess I'll tackle this project one obstacle at a time.

Quick Reply: Removing gauge needles