GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hail Damage :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 10:27 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail Damage :(

So the other day here we had a nasty storm come through with marble to golf ball size hail. Unfortunately my car was out with no shelter which resulted to damage and a busted rear windshield. The hood, roof, fenders, driver door, and trunk all got dings, including some molding and the body itself .

Now im curious to know if anybody else has had hail damage to any of there cars and when it got repaired did it ever look the same? Im afraid my car will never look as straight and factory perfect again......

I have pictures and ill try to post them up so you guys can see my beautiful car all beat up?
Old 09-18-09, 10:50 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats sucks i worked a body shop and ur car is pretty much going to get a full paintjob again.. so i suggest take it to the best body shop u can find and hopefully they do good work. if so the car should look better then factory
Old 09-19-09, 08:10 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

thanks for the input and i sure do hope it comes out like or better than factory.
Old 09-19-09, 08:19 AM
richie3888
Pole Position

post up pictures!!
Old 09-19-09, 08:24 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw today that areas in the south including Texas is getting battered by storms. I'm sorry to hear your unfortunate situation. I'm curious to see the damage so please do post up pics.
Old 09-19-09, 09:07 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea, it all depends on the shop! I've seen some hack jobs! (my car!!!!) instead of trying to repair and tap out the actual dent, they rather just fill in holes/dents with bondo! Theres a shop here in town that does some bad as s work when it comes to dents (where I went afterward and re did was was done). I say ask around and find that one shop that everyone recommends...
Old 09-19-09, 09:25 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

yeah i hope i can find a reputable shop to fix it here, ill get pics up later today, the worst is the roof because the hood, fenders and trunk can be replaced.
Old 09-19-09, 03:42 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TxLexus400
yeah i hope i can find a reputable shop to fix it here, ill get pics up later today, the worst is the roof because the hood, fenders and trunk can be replaced.
This is true, but you'd be amazed what a skilled bodyman can do with a panel. Also, I wouldn't advise trying to replace all the panels, nor would insurance likely do that first. I wouldn't advise it because the panels have the S/N of the car on them, and a replaced one usually means the car is worth less than if all panels are factory. Replacing all of them would get hella expensive, and would almost certainly reduce the value.

Oh, and...

Big Mack
Old 09-20-09, 03:08 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Arrow

If the paint is intact and the only damage is the dent, you can find special shops that specialize in "paintless repairs" where they can pop those dents back out pretty easily and the cost is generally quite reasonable. I had a Mazda parked outside some years back in the driveway and out of the blue came golf ball size hail that went on for about 10 minutes. By the time it got done, the roof, trunk lid and hood looked like someone had used a ball-peen hammer repeatedly with numerous dents all over. Fortunately the paint was intact. Took it to a regular body shop and the guy recommended this special paintless repair shop. Only took this special paintless shop a day to fix all the dents and it was so good I couldn't see any dents afterwards. 2 years ago I had 2 door dings on my GS and again I took it to the local paintless repair shop and they popped those dings back out easily. Suggest you try this option if your paint is intact. Good luck.
Old 09-20-09, 08:54 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

i appreciate your reply and thank god i didnt see any paint missing, it makes me feel a little better about my car. Heres a couple of pics, its hard to see in the pic cause of the color but when you see the reflection, you see all the dents.

This is what it did to the back window, now imagine the hood, roof, trunk, and driver side of whole car since that was the angle it came down.

Old 09-20-09, 09:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

oh man, sorry to see that...The back window looks like it was shot with an AK47
Old 09-21-09, 03:01 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...that sux. i guess those things are hard to predict....when it comes...its too late.
Old 09-21-09, 07:00 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

From my experience from working at a bodyshop, first they will have a Paintless Dent Repair guy come in and do work. He should be able to get most of it out. Anything he can't do, the bodyshop will have to do. Good luck!
Old 09-21-09, 07:04 AM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a garage I see ?
Old 09-21-09, 08:18 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Couple months ago in Austin we got a nasty hail store with golf ball size hail. Lots of my friends have damaged cars. It all depends on the car and insurance. Most of them had damage like yours. Hood, fenders, rear panels, trunk, tops of doors, top and busted windows. The ones with less damage did the paintless dent repair. A couple of them had to get their panels / hood / top replaced (esp on older cars where more parts are available). One of my friends got a 4,000 check from his insurance company and he is just going to save it for his next car, because the car that was damaged is his daily beater so he does not care. Whatever you do, if insurance is paying for it, it will show up in a carfax. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hail Damage :(