GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Leatherseats.com Vs. Lexus Leather Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 06:27 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherseats.com Vs. Lexus Leather Quality?

Hey CL, so I am seriously thinking of doing the swap from my stock blk interior to leatherseats.com saddle color. I have talked to a rep at leatherseats.com and they had done a custom Saddle color in a LS400. The color looks exactly like Lexus OEM Saddle color, but the thing is I am really not sure how the quality is going to be compared to Lexus leather. I have asked him to send me a sample out to my house and I should be receiving it in a couple of weeks. I am probably the only person on the forums that has posted this many threads about saddle in general lol. Honestly I really do love my black interior but ever since I saw saddle, I knew that I have to have that interior color, anyways so if you guys would like to share any pros and cons about leatherseats.com or have had experience with them or know someone that has please post

Here are some pics!!!

Old 09-15-09, 07:40 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

I have a set from Leatherseats.com that I installed on my MR2. Good quality and excellent fitment. Only thing I wish I did differently was put more memory foam in the seats for added comfort. Make sure you stretch the leathers out a little bit to make the install a little easier. I used the back of the dining room chair to stretch out the bigger pieces and a few books to stretch out the headrests.

Make sure you get some before and after pics! Here are some of mine:
MR2 Reupholstery
Old 09-16-09, 02:50 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

nice it looks like you did a pretty good job on it how does the leather feel. I heard from some different forum sites that the leather almost feels like industrial leather. Is that true? Just curious lol
Old 09-16-09, 03:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saddle is so great, a lot cooler than the black interior, can't wait to see the finished product. Are you getting the perforated seats ??
Old 09-16-09, 06:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I had their leather in my LS400. In my opinion the quality of the leather was horrendous. Its nowhere near as soft and smooth as Lexus leather, and it has a rough grain which causes the leather to get dirty fast, and its extremely difficult to clean. If anything, the quality of the leather is similar to the leather in Honda Accord, if not worse.

As far as durability, the car is a 94, seats were reupholstered in december 2006, and I got rid of them earlier this year. In the 2-1/2 years that I had them in the car, they were in worse shape than original seats that were 12 years old.

Fitment wasnt great too. The drivers seat fitment was allright, but the passenger seat back seemed to be too short. In the upright position you couldnt see where it short, but recline the seat and and you could see the padding of the seat where the leather was too short, and also on the back of the seat you could see tiny spots of padding around the corners of the backpanel, the leather was also too short.

Fitment on the handrest was horrible. First of all the leather was too short, and it didnt have cutouts for the AC vents, so it had to be modified. I saw a post in the 1GS section about someone else complaining about the same thing as well.

Overall I was extremely dissatisfied. And thats considering the fact that factory leather in the 1st gen LS is far worse than 2nd gen models. With the 2nd gen models, theres no comparison.

PS. Also they didnt have the cutouts for seat controls, so that too had to be modified.

Last edited by Och; 09-16-09 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 06:53 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Originally Posted by tromly
Saddle is so great, a lot cooler than the black interior, can't wait to see the finished product. Are you getting the perforated seats ??
Yes I am trying to keep to stock look as possible so I will be going for perforated seats also I was thinking about getting the Lexus symbol ans then sport design stitched into the seats where ur back rests on the seat
Old 09-16-09, 10:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

how bout you sell me your black interior and buy the saddle thats on sale in the classifieds
Old 09-16-09, 11:12 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Thanks! The leather quality is definitely not as supple as the OEM Lexus ones. But after a lot of conditioning it was better. My MR2 is not daily driven so I cannot comment on how long they last. I've had them in for about three years now with no fading, tears, etc. So I'm pretty happy with the quality.
Old 09-21-09, 03:34 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

How has the leather been working out thus far for you?
Old 09-21-09, 03:45 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

So far so good. No tears, fading, etc. But I'm pretty AR when it comes to the maintainence and cleanliness of my cars. And as stated above, its not a daily driven car.
Old 09-21-09, 04:58 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can not disagree more with this poster. also who did the install on your upholstery? if you did it yourself and is complaining about fitment, are you sure it wasn't your lack of installation expertise that caused the bad fitment?

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I had their leather in my LS400. In my opinion the quality of the leather was horrendous. Its nowhere near as soft and smooth as Lexus leather, and it has a rough grain which causes the leather to get dirty fast, and its extremely difficult to clean. If anything, the quality of the leather is similar to the leather in Honda Accord, if not worse.

As far as durability, the car is a 94, seats were reupholstered in december 2006, and I got rid of them earlier this year. In the 2-1/2 years that I had them in the car, they were in worse shape than original seats that were 12 years old.

Fitment wasnt great too. The drivers seat fitment was allright, but the passenger seat back seemed to be too short. In the upright position you couldnt see where it short, but recline the seat and and you could see the padding of the seat where the leather was too short, and also on the back of the seat you could see tiny spots of padding around the corners of the backpanel, the leather was also too short.

Fitment on the handrest was horrible. First of all the leather was too short, and it didnt have cutouts for the AC vents, so it had to be modified. I saw a post in the 1GS section about someone else complaining about the same thing as well.

Overall I was extremely dissatisfied. And thats considering the fact that factory leather in the 1st gen LS is far worse than 2nd gen models. With the 2nd gen models, theres no comparison.

PS. Also they didnt have the cutouts for seat controls, so that too had to be modified.