GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Whats up with all the new people in the 2Gs section?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 12:00 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This forum has changed yes, but we all bring something to the table. We all make up this forum. New OR old. We welcome EVERYONE. The newbies are who make the OLD timers step up their game. Change is welcomed. But lets try to keep this forum mature as possible.
Old 08-25-09, 12:14 AM
edinburger
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol im ok there are hardly any GS's in scotland and people avoid these cars coz heavy on fuel heavy on insurance and running costs.

the way insurance goes and fuel prices no way youngster in UK/Scotland gona buy GS ..

oh i feel much better now
Old 08-25-09, 12:21 AM
SYNSEI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate myself for being new. I hate having been in the Honda game since 94 and putting my heart and soul into builds only to feel like I've outgrown them. I show my respect for the people on CL that came before me by reading/searching 10,000 times more than I post. That's why I'm here; to learn. Not learn about mods, but to learn about my GS in general. It's a new challenge. On every forum, there is always some elitist that rambles on and on about the "OG's". Well I'm an OG on a few car forums and I've never even mentioned it until this post. I've always tried to welcome and guide newcomers. Anyways, maybe I'll just go back to lurking these forums.

**Edit

Good post PandaGS430. I missed 3 posts as I wrote this.

Last edited by SYNSEI; 08-25-09 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 12:22 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
This forum has changed yes, but we all bring something to the table. We all make up this forum. New OR old. We welcome EVERYONE. The newbies are who make the OLD timers step up their game. Change is welcomed. But lets try to keep this forum mature as possible.
I don't want people to take my posts as anti-newbie, they aren't, as I mentioned in my previous post I was a newbie once too. I'm just saying that the forum is shifting to ricer style mods instead of maintaining the quality/class that we have maintained for a long time.

Originally Posted by SYNSEI
I hate myself for being new. I hate having been in the Honda game since 94 and putting my heart and soul into builds only to feel like I've outgrown them. I show my respect for the people on CL that came before me by reading/searching 10,000 times more than I post. That's why I'm here; to learn. Not learn about mods, but to learn about my GS in general. It's a new challenge. On every forum, there is always some elitist that rambles on and on about the "OG's". Well I'm an OG on a few car forums and I've never even mentioned it until this post. I've always tried to welcome and guide newcomers. Anyways, maybe I'll just go back to lurking these forums.
Once again, I'm sorry this is ruffling peoples feathers but the issue has been around for a long time. Secondly, I don't consider myself an "elitist" or an "OG", if you want to read through my posts I pretty much only answer questions for people who have obviously put some effort into finding the answer, you won't find pictures of my car from every time I wash it or put a new headlight bulb in and you won't find me bragging about my car as I could care less about how many mods I, or anyone else has, that's not what this thread is about. I'm sorry that many people reading this may be taking it the wrong way and I've tried to do the best to explain myself but there are going to be people who don't get it and take it personally even though I have expressed numerous times this isn't a thread aimed at anyone in particular. Though from your response SYNSEI you obviously feel as though you are in the group I'm talking about.

BTW:
Originally Posted by SYNSEI
I hate having been in the Honda game since 94 and putting my heart and soul into builds only to feel like I've outgrown them.
This statement proves my point, if it's not about the car and it's not about the people then why do you feel you have "outgrown" Honda's? If you put your heart and soul into something why would you abandon it? From your own words you say you outgrew Honda's and now you are here on a Lexus forum so are you suggesting that Lexus is "above" Honda? Is Lexus for a "different" crowd that you haven't outgrown yet? Do you see what I'm saying, you are upset because I mentioned that the Lexus forum was headed "backwards" yet you refer to the thing you "put your heart and soul in" as something you have outgrown. I would like to hear what defines "outgrown" as it sounds an awful lot like you left Honda's because of the nature of the Honda "game/rice".

Last edited by macd7919; 08-25-09 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 01:00 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen this issue come up scores of times. And honestly, I definitely give deference to both sides.

I am not an OG member, but I'm definitely not a newbie on this forum. There is always a learning curve that members tend to forget that they went through. The mods that you whimsically bought, then sold w/out researching; then the real mods you bought and kept. That is the learning curve.

I admit that I am guilty of instructing new members "to the search function", when I never originally used to do that myself and currently sometimes fail to exhaust (which is recommended if you don't want to look like an idiot).

In the alternative, the 2GS is maturing, that is a fact. I left maxima.org precisely for the same reason as stated in the OP; so I understand the frustration. But there is a distinction.

Mark my words, the 2GS will (if not already) become a CLASSIC. Its build, performance, design are unprecedented and represent trademark Lexus.

All I ask for newer members is to:

1.) Exhaust the search function before asking ANY questions.
2.) Mod the 2GS as it deserves.
3.) Keep this forum mature, informative, and progressive.
4.) Raise the bar and prove us all wrong baby, more motivation to MOD!

Originally Posted by macd7919
I have to disagree with you about asking to be attacked, while I don't care if people attack me for this thread or not it is a well known fact between the "older" members that the forum is changing. If you read back through this thread you will find that the only people who "disagree" with what I posted are not long term members. This isn't the first time this subject has been talked about, maybe not on the forum directly but between members at meets etc...You also can't disagree with the FACT that the majority of the people who have been here for a long time have stopped posting though many of them still own their GS. It's not because they aren't into cars anymore it's because it's the same thing over and over about what LED bulb to use, or the color of someone's Fusa or how low you can get your car, undeniably there has been a shift to "rice" oriented mods.

I actually don't consider myself to be one of the OG's. I was more referring to Dave, Glen, Mitch, Jeff (TTurboPimp) etc.... I also didn't say this isn't a free forum, it is...I was a newb once as well....what I AM saying is that there is a push on the forum that is changing the direction of the mindset of the owners to more so of a Honda (just using it as an example because we have all seen the riced out Honda's around our town) and away from the luxury aspect of Lexus, you know, one of the traits of Lexus that attracted you to it in the beginning.

It doesn't have anything to do with money because I am hurting for money just as bad as anyone else right now, it's the fact that many of the newer (again, not all) people aren't persevering to do "quality" mods, the reason we are losing alot of the OG members and innovators on the forum is because the market the car is now appealing to is the market that alot of people left because of the "rice" mindset. I could go on but for the sake of space etc...(and my bedtime coming up, lol) I'll end it here but I think you can agree with me that the push that was once maintaining the Lexus name and "image", so to speak, with classy mods and applications has changed to the mindset of "what can I do to my car just for the sake of putting something on it" which unfortunately most of the time just looks tacky.

P.s- You don't have to worry about me bashing your car I don't comment on other peoples cars unless I have something nice to say or they ask to be commented on and it's something that is over the top out of place.
Originally Posted by PandaGS430
Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-25-09, 01:20 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
All I ask for newer members is to:

1.) Exhaust the search function before asking ANY questions.
2.) Mod the 2GS as it deserves.
3.) Keep this forum mature, informative, and progressive.
4.) Raise the bar and prove us all wrong baby, more motivation to MOD!
I know people are looking at me like I'm a jerk and that's fine as I think the older members understand what I'm saying here and that's who this thread was intended for.

I agree with what PushinLex listed here, alot of you are reading this thinking that I think because I've been here a long time I'm better than someone who just joined, that's not what I was/am saying. What I'm saying is that on this list we have been losing points 2 and 3 for some time now.

2.) Mod the GS as it deserves. Exactly my point, the mods have been going over to the rice side of things which needs to stop, this isn't your 94 civic so treat it that way.

3.) While most of the time the forum is mature and informative etc... we have been losing the progressive side of things. Once again this is going back to point 2, for some time we moved as a community to raise the bar and make QUALITY, TASTEFUL mods. This too has been going in reverse for sometime now which is only devaluing the car.

Far too long the forum has been full of threads with nothing more than the color of light bulbs when there used to be informative threads from critical users. We used to have manufacturer involvement on parts because we provided mature real world feedback. Things like the development of headers, turbo kits etc...all wouldn't have happened with out members that now, for the most part, no longer participate here because all everyone cares about is how close they can get to scraping their bumper on the ground. I know not everyone is into performance but it's not just that, it's time to remember what brought your interest to the 2GS and maintain the class that you admired before you bought the car.

I know there is no accounting for taste and I don't want this thread to turn into that kind of argument, or any kind of argument really as there is no point. All I wanted to voice with this thread was an issue that has been brewing for quite sometime now.

Last edited by macd7919; 08-25-09 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 02:14 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mac, i see where you are coming from. to be honest, this is nothing new. this happens in EVERY forum where cars started off at a certain price range and then eventually depreciates and trickle down to younger buyers. i'll make a few points, some of which i agree w/ you, some of which i disagree.

1. 2004 is considered old here? i barely remember when i joined but i think it is around 01 because that is when i bought my '97 SC300 5spd. This was shortly after I had pursued the Legend 6spd coupes which was last made in 95 so you should know I have an appreciation for well made quality classic cars. I'm a recent GS430 owner so I've had 2 lexus, 1 honda s2000 and an acura legend.

2. in the same way you say for the most part, I see an equal bias for example where "for the most part" the lexus owners here thinks the "honda s2000" is a ricer community as well. in fact I was one of them, going from the SC to S2K i thought they were going to be a bunch of ricers modding and racing each other on the street. On the contrary, it is one of the most respected car communities online. They love cars, period and rice has less to do w/ the fact the car is Honda and more to do with just a few bad apples with bad taste. Now that car is more dated and has come down in price like the GS, I see younger owners who has raised the ire of many older members. These things happen and it is imo very hard to avoid. People with less disposable income (not necessarily the youngest but often are due to salary structure of society) will tend to spend less on quality mods.

3. the community is built like you said. instead of tearing down between the young and old, new and old... perhaps it is better served to educate the newb's on quality and style rather than cheap and fads.

4. cars are like many things in life. ppl will move on from them just like new bloods come into them every day. some new owners are newb's to cars in general and doesn't have experience in modding. others come from other cars and has world of experience and will read/learn b4 they start modding. i don't think either one is better than the other. that's why this forum exists. it provides a place to learn for ALL.

5. enjoy the cars for what they are. let's not get too serious or take things too personally =) obviously we each have a common interest (the 2GS!) and its more important we build on things that we have in common than to tear us part in the things that we have differences in.
Old 08-25-09, 03:42 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its only a matter of time before you see one with pink rotas and a rusted hood......
Old 08-25-09, 04:35 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

True... Many times i though of trading in my GS, there are starting to pop-up so much here in NYC like hondas. Sucks to know only a few years back I paid 25K now you can get it for quarter of that. Once you keep the car clean and not ricey its all good
Old 08-25-09, 04:44 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
P.s- You don't have to worry about me bashing your car I don't comment on other peoples cars unless I have something nice to say or they ask to be commented on and it's something that is over the top out of place.
Could not agree with you more. So many times I would type a complete response and just delete it all because I realize it's not worth it. Whoever I'm writing to will either not get it or it will just kick up dirt and start drama (never needed on boards).

There are different types of people on this board. Some who post in 20 threads in 10 minutes to just quote what others have already said and boost their thread count, others who somehow find a way to make every post they make in every thread about themselves or how great their car is (that is one I have held back so many times ), and others have been on here for years and rarely post unless it's to correct mis-information or try to help share some info.

It's all about who you want to be on these boards. I would rather lurk in the darkness and only come out when I need help or I can help in someway. We should all still help each other out when we can but yes, some people should check why they are on here and how they act while on here. I do it myself all the time.

I have met most of my current friends on this board so its still one big happy family to me. But, you should also trust your family to tell you whats up.
Old 08-25-09, 05:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lowKut
True... Many times i though of trading in my GS, there are starting to pop-up so much here in NYC like hondas. Sucks to know only a few years back I paid 25K now you can get it for quarter of that. Once you keep the car clean and not ricey its all good
100000000000% agreed! I get upset sometimes thinking that in early '03 I paid $29K for my GS4 where guys are buying my exact car right now for $10K! BUT and this is a BIG BUT, I have to keep reminding myself and others in the same situation that we have had (and enjoyed) or cars for a very long time so far whereas the new guys picking these cars up for what Honda Civics could be had for just got them; i.e. starting with older years and higher mileage. I got my car with 40K on it and I felt like that was a lot and now have 112K on it.

I am happy for the new members in joining CL but I HOPE I don't see any ridiculous (tasteless) mods done to this car; it should be kept slick and classy regardless if you go the performance route, VIP route or in between route.

Oh, and to the newbies if you're NOT sure of a particular mod with regard to styling ASK some of the older members for advice. This is what I would do if I was new to a particular make/model.
Old 08-25-09, 06:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Almost ALL of you were new members at one point and asked about something questionable and that certainly includes me!

It is the Club Lexus COMMUNITY that often caused you to change your mind about doing something ill-advised or broadened your understanding about style or helped you fix your problem... the personal touch and friendship of members on this forum and a more refined approach and appreciation you developed.

Legends6spd, Panda, Pushinlex and others said what I would have posted pretty well so I'm not going to repeat it using different language. Shaming and flaming does nothing but cause people not to want to contribute on the forum. I for one am very happy to see all the new members joining the 2GS community. It indicates a renewed interest and opportunity.

Let's knock off the newb-bashing and get back to the welcoming, helping and educating please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-25-09 at 06:53 AM.