GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Should I replace the GS400??Need Feedback!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 11:43 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I replace the GS400??Need Feedback!!

Im stuck between a rock in a hard place. This past year it seems that all my years of not having trouble with the GS has come to an end. It seems like since Jan this year it has been issue after issue, valve cover gaskets, alternator, loud *** ticking which could possbly be the lifters according to the dealership, and now the transmission has decided to die on me in additon to already having solenoid problems the week before going out. The car has 226k miles on it and Im not sure if its worth just getting it all fixed or just get a car payment and get a used 06 GS430 or M45 sport. Im trying to weigh the pros and cons of this and Im kind of back and forth. The economy and my job are some of the concerns or cons of rather to buy or fix. It would help to hear feedback from a lot of you guys....
Old 08-17-09, 12:18 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my suggestion is eather engine and tranny swap it say with a 2jz or get a 06 gs430. 226k miles is alot. I think its eather time to let the engine/tranny go or the car go. If you got a gs430 you could probably move alot of things from your 400 over, rims, system and what not. The choice is your own and I think eather way would be good. I just dont recommend keeping that old motor and tranny they put in there time its time for a new 1.
Old 08-17-09, 12:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, the car does have 226k on it. I think it should be normal to assume that maintenance will be required. All the rubber seals probably need replacing at that kind of age/mileage, hence why your valve cover gaskets are leaking. The valve tick can be fixed with a valve clearance readjustment job. It's up to you if you want to fix it or not. Either way I gaurantee you're going to spend a lot more in car payments to get a new car than to fix this one back up and get all the proper maintenance done. It's really just up to you, if you feel like it's time to move on then go for it. It's just a car
Old 08-17-09, 12:31 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, the car does have 226k on it.

It's really just up to you, if you feel like it's time to move on then go for it. It's just a car
Agreed, at the end of the day it's really your move.

Do keep in mind, even if you replace the engine/trans with a 2JZ-GE, GTE, or even an LS3 for more hp/tq, you still have imminent suspension and electrical issues on the horizon. LBJ's, control arms, sagging springs, worn shocks, displays not working correctly, etc. Make sure to weigh in on those factors when you're going through the process of rebuilding vs. replacing.
Old 08-17-09, 01:10 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Thanks for the quick responses!! Im ave been back and forth on this issue all week now..I was swaying to buying used 06M45 sport with Aero pkg, thats a lot of car for the money, and a friend of mine just bought a GS430 so I was looking at going a different route. But then there is the issue if car payments which I defintley have got used to not having over the years and a good bit of disposable income but now that the GS4 is at 226k that disposable income is about to go out the window, and who knows what other issues will arise as a result, I forgot the mode servo motor is gone as well so the issues are piling up! I know the decision is ultimately up to me but when it comes to making major purchases I like to hear different sides from different people because some people have innovative ways of thinking of things and so I would like to get as many view points as possible.
Old 08-17-09, 01:19 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Also if i decide to get a new car, then im trying to think of what the hell will i do with the GS400, should I sell it? Im a little lost and indecisive at this point becasue its all pretty fresh at the moment so Im trying not to make a bad decison and regret it!
Old 08-17-09, 02:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you can get a new g37 sedan for a good price. check out zag.com or look at the great deals section under the thread "mercedes e350 for 35k..." to find out how to get the best deal on a new car.
Old 08-17-09, 03:36 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a different view. Keep it and cheap it (fix only what needs repairing - paying others to do what you can't and do some repairs yourself)

Tranny - what is wrong? Clutch paks are shot? Get a used tranny with 60k-80k miles for cheap and have someone put it in
VCG - I think most people can do this as a DIY (I did one and I am mediocre with a wrench)
Lifters - no idea

Figure out what these repairs will run you vs a lease / purchase and see if you still want a new car.
Old 08-17-09, 05:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

seems like a tuff choice IMO... The m45 is pretty nice... There are many of those down here in FL for around the 22-29k price range..

You need to way out your options car payments vs. maintenance fees.. Your probably looking at a few thousands to get the car where is supposed to be with maintenance or spend 25k on a new car.. These cars can go 300k no problem but maintenance must be done.

If you sell the car you can always put it back to stock to get the most out of your money and put that money towards car payments. To me its hard to do that to a car where creativity came to mind to bulid this GS and now break it all down back to stock..

I'm like you with no car payments but it maybe worth it to get that newer car and have a good piece of mind and warranty..

GL

Tony
Old 08-17-09, 06:12 PM
ceelo
Pole Position

I think everyone just about covered it. An engine swap is out of the question, I don't know why anyone would even recommend that. You have other things like the suspension, electrical, etc. with high mileage as well and will need some attention at some point or another.

If you think its best to go with a new car just part it out, and then trade it in. You'll be able to get a couple grand for yours mods.
Old 08-17-09, 07:22 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it back to stock and you could still get a few thousand for it. I paid off my IS and was already kinna bored with it i could have dumped money into it to change it up and i wanted something faster so what did i get a Turbo IS300 haha so much for change. I'm looking to chunk my IS and get a gs but ya now i have car payments again. Its really a buyers market right now dealers are willing to negotiate and you can get some good deals so if you wanted a change now wouldnt be a bad time.
Old 08-17-09, 09:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I rather get another. It's better to "new car" feel. That's just me. I mean 200k car is time to move on.
Old 08-18-09, 11:01 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

okay, i just got a call from the transmission shop and they told me to rebuild the transmission brand new with OEM parts would be 2400 dollars!Reading what everyones response was, alot of people seem to think it may not be worth it to put that kind of money into at this point and then there are some who think it is. The car is only worth 5800. My dilemma is that if I decide to get a new car, who wants to buy a car that has no transmission? This has stressed me completly out at this point!! Anyone want to buy a GS with no transmission??LOL. I told him I would call him back in the morning and let him know what I decide to do! I may have to even get a loan to cover all expenses because i dont have 2400 in disposabe income to fork out and play with and not worry about it. That kind of hit will leave me in a very bad spot for the future, especially if I decide that I want to get a new car next year!! Damn this is getting complicated a little at least I think!!!

Last edited by ICEBERGS; 08-18-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 11:33 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a lot of dough but not for a tranny rebuild. I would expect to pay 2-3k minimum even for a normal brand (Ford, Toyota).

You're in a tough spot. General rule of thumb when repairs are more than 25% of car value, get rid of it. But if you can't afford a rebuild, how can you get a new car?
Old 08-18-09, 11:42 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a corolla. It'll last you 10 years with no problem. Maybe this car will qualify as a clunker but not sure... seems like all the SC and LS qualify and gs300. The clunker is more than enough for a down payment. Go to the website and get the best price.

Quick Reply: Should I replace the GS400??Need Feedback!!