GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS300 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 10:36 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 GS300 Spoiler

I just bought a 1999 Silver GS300 and I am looking at buying a spoiler for it. Is there only one type of OEM spoiler or two? Does the OEM spoiler come with the light on the back or does it not? Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-11-02, 07:55 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up 99 GS Factory spoiler

There are many "factory" spoilers available without having to pay a GRIP from the dealer. I got the same car in black and I got mine through Wings West in Newport Beach. They did an excellent job. You can't tell the diference from a dealer installed one, because a lot of dealers in SoCal anyway, get them from WW. So I saved about $900 bones. I paid $150 installed and painted, but my sister's fiancee' is tight with the owner. You can expect to pay about $300 to $400 total. And BTW, it does have the third break light. It will definately change the look of your GS. It will look more aggressive and sporty. Definately worth the 3 or 4 hundred bucks you will spend. My opinion of course...

Rock
Old 04-11-02, 08:03 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default GS spoiler

One more thing I almost forgot.... I was in the dealer picking up my Lexus after being serviced and I saw a guy with a van installing a spoiler on a 2001 GS. I was curious so I went over and talked to him. He worked for Lexus as a contractor doing spoiler installs. He said he charged an average of $826.00 per vehicle(any new vehicle from Lexus) that wanted a spoiler on their new car. I compared it with mine and it was identical....... He agreed. Being a contractor I bet he makes good money by charging so much even though you and I can do it on our own for less than half. True entrepenuer.... Wherever you decide to get your done at, make sure you get a warranty for the paint in case of any chipping... IMO.

Rock
Old 04-11-02, 08:36 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do some research

I'd do alot of research before just choosing a spoiler based on price. I haven't seen a Wings West spoiler, but there is one maker SportWing, whose spoiler is about 9/10 the size of the true OEM spoiler. It looks awful..it doesn't go from rear qtr to rear qtr..it goes from trunk edge to trunk edge. Some dealers use it because it is the cheapest one, but if you ever happen to be along side someone with a true OEM or an RMM spoiler you will be sorry you didn't shop around more. As far as paying $900 for a spoiler that's B/S I wouldn't do it...It should cost you painted and installed no more than $500 for an OEM spoiler or an RMM with brake light.

As for the brakelight issue do a search there are a number of threads on how to disable/remove the 3rd brakelight...remove being the expensive route, but it may bother you enough to pay.
Old 04-11-02, 08:50 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply! I just called up Reinheart Lexus in Montgomery and the guy was really nice and honest. He said it would be cheaper to get a place like 'Auto Trim Design' to do it. he said that is where they get all their spoilers put on anyway. I then called Auto Trim and they said that it will end up being about $400 total. It's good to know that Lexus will help you try to save money

BTW -- The sig in my pic is not my car. That's a pic of the Arristo from the Toyota Japan website.

Thanks for the help!