GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A Look Back: The story of my GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 08:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Look Back: The story of my GS

After a memorable and enjoyable year of ownership I think I have finished my car. Looking back it's sort of hard to believe just how much I have done to the car since I first got it- I guess it's one of those things where when you see it every day you don't notice the differences as much. I still have absolutely no complaints about the car, and now at just over 76,000 miles the only problems have been one door lock actuator and an O2 sensor...everything else has been trouble free. The timeless interior and exterior design, high quality interior, and bulletproof reliability have landed this car a spot in my garage for the rest of my life- it's part of the family and I love it dearly.

In this last year I have learned so much about the car, correct detailing procedures, maintenance techniques, all of the mods, and most importantly... that I hate all of you.

Yes, hate. Yes, All of you.

I joined this site five years ago as nothing more than an enthusiast, knowing that at some point in the distant future I would get a Lexus and become one of the "big boys". I participated mostly in Car Chat but ventured here every now and then because it was the car I idolized as a young boy.

Looking at all of the pictures of modified GSs and then eventually watching videos on youtube put an urgency in that previous dream of "some day" getting my Lexus. Four years after I joined (and two personal vehicles later) I searched, poked, prodded, and finally found the GS I wanted. It was priced a good $3,500 out of my price range at that time but I was determined to have a GS like everyone else on CL. I scraped money together, raided my savings account, and bought my first Lexus.

At that point in my life I thought, "This is a Lexus of all things, and because of that there is no reason for me to modify it." Not to mention the fact that as a college student, I don't have the means to do so. Well fast forward a year and I have spent so much money on this car that I refuse to sit here and add it up because I would probably get sick. At first it was little things like the VaisTech ipod kit because they were "useful" and "necessary" and then it came to the wheels, because I could would like to fill out the wheel wells just a little more.

And then it got serious. I dropped money on a full paint job, L-Tuned side skirts, TTE Lip, rear spoiler, spacers, exhaust, SRT intake, LED tails, new headlight bulbs, a full suspension overhaul with shocks, springs, bars, and bushings, and countless other things. Don't forget the install charges or all of those things as well. But oh no, that was not enough, because once you make all of these modifications you have to MAINTAIN them, which brings me to the hundreds of dollars that I have spent with Chris, of Glimmer Glass.

I can honestly say that there have been points in this last year where I went without food and clothes, books for classes, vacations, and other things solely so that I could save for mods to my car. If I had never joined this website I would be rich, happy, and never know that there was anything wrong with my old Camrys and 4Runners. For this, I hate you all.

So, look back on the last year and hating all of you, I would also like to mention that it's really not a bitter hate...but rather bittersweet . Despite the thousands of dollars, meals, and hours that this community has cost me in some form or another, it is truly a wonderful place to be and I have enjoyed every minute of it! I would like to thank a few people specifically:

Thank you 2GS forum for draining my entire bank account, nearly maxing out my credit card at times, and also for all of the DIYs, support, encouragement, and assistance. It truly means a lot, and every time I look at my car I have all of you to thank/hate.

- Mike has always been my boy on CL, at meets, in this forum, car chat, etc. Props to the master
- GSteg has really been the go-to guy and has always helped me out in times of urgent need. Thank you sir.
- sakataj, GSJake, istundra, 1GStoEnvy, GS300Tom, LEXUS KID, Jeff Tsai, and others have all either given support, advice, guidance, or some damn good DIYs and I want to thank you all specifically.

Mod List:

Exterior:
- Full new paint job
- TTE Lip
- L-Tuned Side Skirts
- M3 style spoiler
- Smoked LED Sonar Tail Lights
- New Sport Design headlights
- JP Warden LED bulbs for parking lights
- Silvania Silverstar Ultra DRL/High beam

Interior:
- New OEM Sport Design Floormats
- Plenty of Leatherique!
- 8.1 Nav disc update
- VaisTech iPod kit

Suspension
- 17" Gunmetal GS 430 wheels
- Tanabe DF 210 springs
- KYB GR-2 Shocks
- TRD Blue front and rear sway bars
- Daizen steering rack bushings
- JDM TRD Aristo Strut Tower Bar
- 20mm/25mm H&R Spacers

Engine
- SRT Intake with race ECU
- Borla Exhaust
- New spark plugs at 74,000 miles
- Religiously cleaned MAF, throttle body (trust me, these make a big difference)

...and the rest has been maintenance- full synthetic oil changes, watching tire pressure, rotating tires every 5K, and religiously detailing the interior and exterior to protect the car.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-27-09 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-26-09, 08:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

My GS obsession is not limited to just the car. I've got several of the mag issues covering our cars, and all of the brochures from 1999-2009

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-26-09 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Congrats on one year dude!! SHe looks even better in person!
Old 07-26-09, 10:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

July 7th, 2008- The night I picked her up with 62,064 miles on the odo:

Pics from my first wash, the day after:

Old 07-26-09, 10:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

July 27, 2008: First mod was a set of IS 300 wheels I got for a good deal. Ended up not really working out, but none the less...

October 19, 2008: Next step was getting the faded headlights replaced with a brand new set of OEM Sport Design ones:

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-27-09 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-26-09, 10:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

November 2, 2008: Finally found the GS 400/430 wheels I had long been searching for and had them painted gunmetal, and installed

November 2008: I finally start to get happy with how the car is looking and take some fall pics:

Old 07-26-09, 10:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

November 26, 2008: Borla exhaust is installed

December 2008: I give the car another good detail and use Leatherique for the first time with fantastic results.

Old 07-26-09, 10:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

February 8, 2009: LED Tails installed:

February 15, 2009: The long awaited drop finally arrives- 1.8" front and 1.5" rear.

March 6, 2009: I decide to stick with the OEM wheels and have 20mm front and 25mm rear H&R spacers installed:

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-26-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 10:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

April 11, 2009: My car goes in for a full repaint, TTE Lip install, L-Tuned side skirts install, and smoked LED tails:

Right after the repaint I swap the JP Warden LED bulbs in (previously had Polarg M4s) to match the OEM HIDs:

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-26-09 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 11:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Between May and now I have had the SRT Intake installed, JDM Aristo Strut Bar, TRD sways, and a few other things that are relatively unspectacular and not picture worthy, which brings us up to today:

Old 07-26-09, 11:08 PM
airmax
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! nice progress!
Old 07-26-09, 11:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 07-26-09, 11:15 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

wow man..ur car is blingin! u didnt even need a repaint..ur car was already clean..is it a different color?
Old 07-27-09, 12:18 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it has came a long way mike GOOD JOB!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-09, 05:20 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a hell of a year for that SD. IMO, approaching all-star status

Quick Reply: A Look Back: The story of my GS