GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Electric Nightmare.. Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 11:47 AM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Nightmare.. Any ideas???

Hey everyone.. this is my first post on CL..I have 98 GS400 with a few major electrical issues.. all happened within 2 weeks, before everything was running fine..

1. side mirrors, seat controls presets and steering wheel all went on the fritz..i can still adjust the steering wheel manually but it will not come in or out on key insert/take out anymore..

2. auto locks wont work anymore/ window controls can only be done from each window/door... so the main panel is shot..

3. alarm goes off when i pop the hood and there is NOWAY i can turn it off unless i remove the batt terminal and THEN when i reconnect the alarm goes off again for its 3 minute cycle..

4. AC unit flipped from F to C and now only 2 dashes -- appear and i have no AC or heat or anything..

so thats about it.. any ideas would be great.. imma try going home today and reset the ECU by taking the neg cable off for about an hour.. i have no clue.. my morning drive to work was a bad one and i havent gotten anything done for the fact ive been surfing the forums for the past 6 hours..
Old 07-20-09, 12:48 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off welcome to CL! Also, you don't have to have it off for an hour, 10mins will be fine.
Old 07-20-09, 12:56 PM
esolo98
Advanced

Welcome to CL, and I had a similar problem with another car and it was just that the battery terminals were corroded, just cleaned them up and everything was back to normal.
Have you checked that?
Old 07-20-09, 01:05 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

u got a ghost in your car haha welcome!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-09, 01:09 PM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by esolo98
Welcome to CL, and I had a similar problem with another car and it was just that the battery terminals were corroded, just cleaned them up and everything was back to normal.
Have you checked that?
I will give em a good clean when i get home and try it out.. Im just nervous that the problem is gonna cost me. whats a new ECU go for these days??

P.S. you guys are pretty friggin fast with your responce time..
Old 07-20-09, 01:21 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your battery good ? Still holding charge ?
Old 07-20-09, 01:30 PM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Is your battery good ? Still holding charge ?
it holds a charge for about 3 days.. always had that problem.. just put a new batt in about 4 months ago. worked perfect untill i went on vacation and came back to a dead batt.. so jumped it worked untill i went away for a weekend and came back to a dead batt.. went to get a optima yellow and the guy at autozone said they dont make em for the GS400.. but after searchin through this forum i saw a couple of guys that said they have the optima.. whats the deal with that???
Old 07-20-09, 01:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

They do carry the Red Top ones for sure. I forgot the group size
Old 07-20-09, 03:23 PM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

Just got home.. batt terminals are clean.. have the neg terminal off now.. hopefully that works..

got a ticket on the way home for not having my seatbelt on.. the cop complemented my car and told me he couldnt belive it was 11 years old. just adds to the day.

more problems that i forgot with the electric.. gas light blinks all the time, have to hold open switch to fully open sunroof, when i put in Manual shift no numbers on the dash show, as well as the little LED on the P-R-N-1-2 panel. it has to be an ECU problem.. right??
Old 07-20-09, 04:51 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like a fried body ecu

You have two #1 driver side behind fuse box and #2 similar location passenger side

Driver side is # 1 body systems & door locks

Passenger side # 2 alarm & key & air con

First check all fuses then take her to a shop get your codes scanned
Old 07-20-09, 05:12 PM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

yeah.. i think your right. i just tryed resetting the ECU and the alarm started blasting in my face when i reconnected the terminal..

Is there anyway to disarm the alarm so everytime i pop the hood it doesnt go off?? or do i need earplugs handy??
Old 07-21-09, 06:04 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's an aftermarket alarm that keeps going off, you just have to have the key fog in hand or flip the kill switch. The factory alarm shouldn't be going off when you reconnect the battery.
Old 07-21-09, 06:14 AM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

its the factory alarm im 110% sure.. my lex key doesnt do crap when i hit the panic or open door buttons.. and the alarm only stops after its cycle.. say i pop the hood.. alarm goes off and then i start my car.. it still goes off untill its done with the cycle.. it has to be the most annoying thing ever.. disconnect batt and reconnect, alarm goes off.. WTF!!

Ive come to the conclusion that its a burned out ECU 1 & 2.. i just wanna disable the alarm untill i get the money to get the new ECUs.. it drives like a im racing on a cloud, its just all my electrical is freaking out!!!
Old 07-21-09, 06:40 AM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

on a better note i put in my new K&N air filter... and had the alarm go off in my face again.. but at least she was drivin smooth and clean this morning...
Old 07-21-09, 07:15 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You mentioned before that you jumped the car. Was this after the battery had died and the problems started? Did you ensure that you jumped the correct way? If not you may have fried the ECU when the car was jumped.

Quick Reply: Electric Nightmare.. Any ideas???